Nothing for pescatarians

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• RoyC
    Participant

Rarely in Business and never in Economy in my experience is there there a fish/seafood alternative to the standard beef/chicken/vegetarian choice. Why not ? – fish is no more expensive than beef !!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Last CW flight this month was offering Beef or Cod.
    They ran out of the Cod, maybe pent up demand from not often having fish on the menu 😉

Anecdotally I find US carriers in J often offer fish.

In Y, it’s often just two choices with one being vegetarian, probably means chicken etc is seen as a safer and or cheaper option than fish.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

Agree. The times I travel World Traveller Plus with BA you can predict what will be on the menu and a fish option is not on it. It frustrates as the two meat options on the menu look great for those who can or want to eat meat. However, the third and final option is some boring pasta option. BA and other airlines should try and accommodate a growing category of customers who do not wish to eat meat. I sometimes default to an Asian option from Economy as it can often be better that the WT+ option.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I presume the OP is describing the offerings on BA. But this issue is with other airlines too. Pre pandemic when I would use the CX, HKG-BKK services the 3 hot dishes available would frequently be 3 meat dishes.

Great if you are a meat lover, not so good if you are pescatarian….

ASK1945
    Participant

I am another “non-meater” who has suffered – but not usually with BA in recent times as I pre-book my meal.

Unfortunately, as I have reported on another thread, I have suffered a couple of times from my pre-booked meal not being on board and on one occasion it was dropped on the floor by the cabin staff and nothing else that I would eat was available.

esselle
    Participant

I imagine it has something to do with how well pre-cooked fish copes with being help warm/reheated when compared with other types of protein. I just don’t think it holds up as well.

5 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

BA used to offer Seafood meals (SFML) but it was dropped about 10 or more years ago due to simplification of processes I believe. Perhaps it’s time to contact them and ask them to bring it back. If enough people do it etc!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I used to pre-order the Asian Vegetarian option with BA ex London and always got a really good veggie curry. However since they moved to Do&Co, the couple of times I’ve done this have been very bland and a bit of a let down.

I’ve noticed most airlines with a range of options to pre-order, rarely have pescatarian. Having said that, flew BA this week ex USA and there were fish and veggie pasta main course options.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1247018]I used to pre-order the Asian Vegetarian option with BA ex London and always got a really good veggie curry. However since they moved to Do&Co, the couple of times I’ve done this have been very bland and a bit of a let down.[/quote]

My wife always ordered this on BA and has had exactly the same experience.

rferguson
    Participant

There was a period where BA had so much salmon and/or smoked salmon on the Club World menu that I was convinced they had shares in a salmon farm!

I tend to go for seafood starter dishes when available but avoid the fish hot meals. Aircraft meals are essentially cooked chilled dishes that are reheated in aircraft ovens so retaining that moisture and texture is tricky and so often the fish just ends up dried out.

On my recent-ish flights there have been fish on the menu in biz.

Qantas to Singapore had snapper as an option on the way out and barrumundi on the return from Perth.

Air France to Mexico City had a white fish dish which I ordered and regretted.

Aeromexico had a salmon dish available on pre order.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Good fish is indeed very expensive compared to beef etc. – especially due to the fact that it has to be very fresh so that it holds good for next 15-24 hours from preparation.

Having said that many good airlines have fish menu and in SQ one can book the cook with fish menu.

Recently the economy food became very bad all around, but pre-Covid prawn was served in many Asian airlines as fried rice or in noodles.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

In short-haul business and all economy flights a, a choice of 2 main courses is usuallythe max, at least in ex-Europe flights. To include a fish dish would require a choice of 3, if one assumes that the baseline is one meat and one non-meat. that, together with the issues of cost and perparation, mean that fish is very much sa rarity, except for the odd prawn or salmon as a starter. A few weeks ago I had a smoked trout starter in BA Club Europe and I have to say it was very tasty.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I have had fish on BA many times in the past and JAL of course has fish and the Asian guys usually have a SFML option to book. Perhaps during the COVID fiasco they have simplified things and fish is off.

Fernieside94
    Participant

It would seem fairly obvious to me that space is the issue here & airlines also have to cater for the majority not the minority because of this !
    It is impossible for any aircraft to carry/offer every choice to every passenger – surely this must be easy for anyone to understand!

RoyC
    Participant

I take Fernisides point but surely to offer fish as a pre-ordered meal is not that difficult. Emirates used to have a fish option even in economy but stopped some three years ago. Surely, if an airline can offer veggie/religious meals, a pescatarian is not too problematic even at a reasonable surcharge for economy.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls