Norwegian's tough winter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Norwegian sent out a press release on Christmas Eve in repsonse to various media reports that it could be in financial trouble

https://media.uk.norwegian.com/pressreleases/update-from-norwegian-air-shuttle-asa-2817995

The problem is not customer demand, but the aircraft deliveries that Norwegian is committed to.

It doesn’t need all of these, and so is trying to set up a leasing company which receives the aircraft and then leases them to others.

The background to it all can be read here

Norwegian Air lands in more trouble

As the FT piece put it (speaking generally)

European aviation: winter blues blow airlines off course

The industry faced a big bill for the disruption caused by congestion over Europe’s skies this summer — the worst on record. In July, Europe’s travellers experienced more than 135,000 minutes of in-flight delays  on average each day. Put another way, that was 94 days’ worth of delays every day — more than double the year before.

… and then of course there was the Gatwick chaos, which affected all airlines using the airport, but fell heavily on Norwegian.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=911748]The industry faced a big bill for the disruption caused by congestion over Europe’s skies this summer — the worst on record. In July, Europe’s travellers experienced more than 135,000 minutes of in-flight delays  on average each day. Put another way, that was 94 days’ worth of delays every day — more than double the year before.[/quote]

That’s why I wonder whether EI’s decision to operate some transatlantic flights beyond Dublin (into mainland Europe) is a wise move. You don’t find other European sixth-freedom carriers doing this.

Incidentally … Norwegian was using the Hi-Fly A380 on LGW-JFK to clear stranded passengers after the airport closure.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I counted about 8 Norwegian 787’s dotted around various remote parts of LGW on Wednesday, some lined up on the far side of the runway.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

The disruption and $$ damage caused by the Rolls Royce engine issue on the 787s must also be costing a lot and no doubt the subject of a time consuming compensation claim – which also doesn’t help with short term cash flow.

I hope they survive.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Me too. They are running a sale, at the moment.

Norwegian launches New Year sale on all long-haul flights from the UK and Ireland

Flights to South America from £199.90 one-way

Economy and Premium fares included in the sale

Norwegian has launched its New Year sale offering traveller’s savvy savings on all long-haul flights from the UK and Ireland, including the UK’s cheapest direct flight to Brazil with fares from just £199.90 one-way.

Based on departures from 14th January to 31st May 2019 holidaymakers can now book a long-haul flight from London Gatwick from £134.90 one-way or a transatlantic flight from Ireland from €99 one-way. Book by 22.59 GMT Monday 14th January 2019.

London Gatwick to the US and South America from £134.90 one-way

Holidaymakers looking to beat the winter blues can now book a bargain flight from £134.90 one-way on transatlantic routes from London Gatwick or from £199.90 one-way to South America. The sale includes Norwegian’s newest route to Rio de Janeiro launching 31st March 2019 and two new routes to the US cities of San Francisco and Miami also launching March 2019. All long-haul routes direct from London Gatwick are included in the sale:

New York JFK from £144.90 economy and from £469.90 in Premium
    Boston from £134.90 economy and from £419.90 in Premium
    Orlando from £149.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Fort Lauderdale from £144.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Denver from £164.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Las Vegas from £164.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Los Angeles from £169.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Oakland from £159.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    San Francisco from £164.90 economy and from £599.90 in Premium
    Seattle from £169.90 economy and from £599.90 in Premium
    Chicago from £134.90 economy and from £429.90 in Premium
    Austin from £164.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Miami from £159.90 economy and from £599.90 in Premium
    Tampa from £159.90 economy and from £519.90 in Premium
    Buenos Aires from £244.90 economy and from £579.90 in Premium
    Rio de Janeiro from £199.90 economy and from £549.90 in Premium
    To book visit http://www.norwegian.com/uk/offers/new-year

Ireland to the U.S east coast and Canada from €99 one-way

Savvy savers in Ireland can also enjoy bargain fares on transatlantic flights from Shannon, Cork and Dublin to the US east coast as well as Norwegian’s first flight to Canada launching from Dublin to Hamilton/Toronto on the 31st March 2019. Flights included in the sale include:

Dublin to Providence from €99 one way
    Dublin to Stewart from €99 one way
    Dublin to Hamilton/Toronto from €119 one way
    Cork to Providence from €99 one way
    Shannon to Providence from €99 one way
    Shannon to Stewart from €99 one way
    Sale fares available to book now at http://www.norwegian.com/ie/offers/new-year/

Matt Wood, SVP Commercial at Norwegian said: “We are delighted to make travel even more affordable with incredible savings to exciting global destinations from the UK and Ireland during our New Year sale. These fantastic offers will allow holidaymakers to take advantage of our low fares and fly in comfort on one of the youngest and greenest fleets in the industry”.

Norwegian was ranked the most fuel-efficient airline on transatlantic routes by The International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT). The airline carries more than 5.8 million UK passengers each year to over 50 global destinations. Norwegian has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world with an average age of 3.7 years.

To book visit http://www.norwegian.com or call 0330 8280854

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

Do hope they survive as am flying tomorrow morning HEL-ARN-GOT actually with 2 different airlines. First one is Norwegian Intl (D8) and the second by Norwegian Air Shuttle (DY).

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=912529]Do hope they survive as am flying tomorrow morning HEL-ARN-GOT actually with 2 different airlines. First one is Norwegian Intl (D8) and the second by Norwegian Air Shuttle (DY).[/quote]

I hope so too, as I’m flying with them from Gatwick to Lyon on the 5th.

(I have taken the precaution of booking a seat with BA on the return flight, mind you. A few Avios and a few quid seemed like cheap insurance).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Although not reported in UK media Norwegian has a brand new B737 MAX stranded in Shiraz (Iran) since December 14.

This aircraft was flying from Dubai to Oslo when technical problems meant it had to divert to the nearest airfield which happened to be Shiraz.

It seems a new engine will be needed. But because of sanctions this is proving to be difficult.

The report below was published January 3.

https://www.radarbox24.com/news/boeing-737-max-8-stuck-in-iran-since-december-14-a-real-headache-for-norwegian

capetonianm
    Participant

It seems a new engine will be needed. But because of sanctions this is proving to be difficult.

That’s the height of absurdity. Neither the lunatic regime nor the poor long-suffering people of Iran will be in any way benefiting from supplying an engine to a Norwegian airliner en route DXB-OSL.

Last time I was in Iran I had to phone my UK bank from an office ‘phone in Tehran to speak to my idiot ‘relationship manager’. The matter about which I was phoning had nothing at all to do with Iran, Iranian money, nor people. I just happened to be in Iran. He asked me where I was calling from because he saw a country code he didn’t recognise and when I told him ‘Iran’ he said he had to terminate the call and could not speak to me due to sanctions.

I rang back an hour later from my ZA cellphone and he was then prepared to talk to me. I was still sitting in the same office in Tehran.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

Norwegian cancelled my OAK/CDG flight in February and replaced it with a OAK/LGW flight connecting to an EasyJet one. I decided to go for LAX/CDG flight and paying for my own to LAX.

Rather not go through LGW after what happened recently.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

B737 still remains at Shiraz.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=912682]Norwegian cancelled my OAK/CDG flight in February and replaced it with a OAK/LGW flight connecting to an EasyJet one. I decided to go for LAX/CDG flight and paying for my own to LAX.

Rather not go through LGW after what happened recently.[/quote]

@jjlasne
    – you do realise drones fly & can operate at any airport?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

More cuts ahead.

German’s Aerotelegraph reporting this evening [DE] that Norwegian will be closing four bases in Europe plus two in the US.

The two US bases are New York Stewart and Providence. These were being served by Norwegian’s B737 MAX aircraft for transatlantic operations.

Norwegian schließt sechs Basen

DerekVH
    Participant

If this follows the example of the closure of the Edinburgh base, the Norwegian staff, including flight crew, are actually being made redundant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls