Norwegian's tough winter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

@Roy Jones

I have flown by Norwegian in Europe countless times, out of FCO, out of LGW, out of HEL and even ARL but never on long haul.
    Their European offering was no better no worse than most others in Europe.

1 user thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

Norwegian Airlines has scheduled flights from London to San Francisco and from Paris/London to Los Angeles for the Spring season.

jjlasne
    Participant

I have. Four times. Twice from Los Angeles. Once from Oakland and once from San Francisco, last in February. Thrice to Paris and once to London.

At one point, they offered flights from Oakland to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen, Paris, London and Barcelona.

As far as I reckon, Oslo, Stockholm and Barcelona were never served from the San Francisco Bay Area airports.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1024685]Their European offering was no better no worse than most others in Europe.[/quote]

[quote quote=1025322]At one point, they offered flights from Oakland to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen, Paris, London and Barcelona.[/quote]

And there it is, the achillies heel in Norwegians Phoenix — Although I’ll re-iterate that in my experience ( I have flown with them from EDI) they are better than most in Europe !!

3 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

@canucklad

Would be interested to know your basis for viewing them ‘better than most in Europe’

Were their seats of a particular quality of alcantara that gave a particular and memorable comfort to your posterior.
    Perhaps the glass of ‘Cotes du Rhone’ was of a particular vintage and from a renown vineyard of your fancy.
    Or maybe it was the award winning stainless steel cutlery design that caught your eye.

Yes my tongue is very much firmly in my cheek, but apart from the absolute ‘trashing’ of passengers (sorry their own paying customers) as enacted by Ryanair, in my view, all others are more or less the same. Its a seat in a bus (or a Boeing – See, I told you I was joking) and a 1 – 3 hour flight.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1026178]Would be interested to know your basis for viewing them ‘better than most in Europe’[/quote]

Hi alainboy56

What stood out for me with Norwegian was the feeling that you had to remind yourself you where on a LCC. I mentioned BA in my comment, and with them it’s the exact opposite, you now have to remind yourself that you’re on a legacy full service carrier !
    The aircraft was always clean, and seemed to be a bit roomier. The crew were attentive well presented and even though they were selling you BOB , it felt more like a service than a sales pitch.
    It’s been a couple of years since my last flight with them, but i do recall TV screens as well

it might be that that the EDI based crew are excellent , and you’re lucky if that’s your home airport

As an aside , i had a problem with my booking (my stupidity) and they resolved within 24 hours to my satisfaction

2 users thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

Perhaps the most notable piece of news is Norwegian´s offer to lease aircraft by the hour!!

“Norwegian to put emergency rescue plan up for vote”, (ch-aviation, 3-12-20)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/98124-norwegian-to-put-emergency-rescue-plan-up-for-vote

“Norwegian Air makes £340m cash plea as carryings collapse”, (Travel Weekly, 4-12-20)

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/394750/norwegian-air-makes-340m-cash-plea-as-carryings-collapse

1 user thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

The first time I flew them, the crew wore tartan-inspired uniforms. I wondered if it had a connection with the Norse Vikings raiding Scotland back in the 10th Century or so. I might be off by a few. I believe the cabin crews had to be US nationals to fly on the US-bound aircraft, per some sort of agreement.

mkcol74
    Participant

“I believe the cabin crews had to be US nationals to fly on the US-bound aircraft, per some sort of agreement.”

Completely incorrect.

RoyJones
    Participant

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/98171-norwegian-seeks-creditor-protection-in-norway

Apart from allowing the Executives and Management to keep their employment and salaries, I can’t see why Norwegian survives.
    It seems to have closed down its allegedly unprofitable transatlantic business and no restart in sight. As a European LCC it has not got the cash reserves to defend its routes against Wizz, Ryanair and EasyJet. I would be surprised if Gatwick, which must be among its creditors, will welcome Norwegian back. Can it possibly recover?

transtraxman
    Participant

Winter is certainly getting colder for Norwegian……..
    “Norwegian Air ‘fighting for survival’ after December passenger slump,” (Travel Weekly, 7-1-21)

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/397428/norwegian-air-fighting-for-survival-after-december-passenger-slump

“Norwegian’s December traffic figures affected by continued travel restrictions across Europe,” (Aviation24.be, 7-1-21)

Norwegian’s December traffic figures affected by continued travel restrictions across Europe

transtraxman
    Participant

Please explain to me how and why my last post on this thread of 7/1/21 is still lost on page 3 of all the posts, when others, later than that, have been posted and progressed. The date alone should up its position to the front page.

jjlasne
    Participant

Yet Norwegian Airlines has bookings on transatlantic flights up on its web site. I have noticed flights to/from LGW to SFO/MIA and from CDG/LGW to LAX.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls