NorseAir Cancels LGW to SFO flights?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Paulhw43uk
    Participant

I found out by chance that my reservation to fly Norse Air Gatwick to San Francisco on October 26th has been cancelled. I’ve not received any notification but have emailed Norse Air and received back a complaint number. All customer queries etc are dealt with by email only. There is no phone number to call up. As at today I’ve not had a reply from Norse Air?

The cancellation was on same day that Gatwick NATS announced the 800 flights in and out restriction due to Covid sickness/absenteeism. I’ve just had my Winter Covid booster jab so why haven’t the NATS controllers not been keeping up with their jabs or do they think Covid has gone away ?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Hi Paulhw43uk – the news of the SFO cancellation is discussed towards the end of this thread:

Norse Atlantic Airways – new low-cost, long-haul operator

CheerUp
    Participant

Errrr being up to date with jabs doesn’t stop you getting Covid…

ajs123uk
    Participant

You obviously don’t know the winter covid vaccination program is only for over 65’s or anyone in an at risk group. Maybe you’d like to apologise to the air traffic controllers who aren’t being slack in not getting boosters after all.

Paulhw43uk
    Participant

I’d apologise if I could be sure that was really situation, but sadly so many people have chosen not to get vaccinated with Covid jab 1 or even the yearly winter flu jabs. I’ve read the info that Dr John puts out in his daily blog, and anything that helps to stop or reduce winter flu episodes whether free or to pay for to help maintain one’s health must be taken up, unless you like being sick.
    If NATS staffing at Gatwick is such an issue, why aren’t Heathrow and other airports reducing flights in and out to. What’s so unique about Gatwick I ask ? Simon Calder’s blog talks of 30 controllers being absent from work this week, how many controllers doe one truly need based at Gatwick to run a smooth operation ? Does NATS put on behind the scenes operation tours of their offices at Gatwick I’d love to see the action there. I

Paulhw43uk
    Participant

My area of South England is particularly high just now with Covid cases. At some stage a breakdown will appear with how many patients who are jabbed versus not jabbed and I suspect the results will be much higher for the non jabbed. Yes you can still get Covid after being jabbed but most medical options I have read suggest those of us who are jabbed only get a minor version.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

“…………. Yes you can still get Covid after being jabbed but most medical options I have read suggest those of us who are jabbed only get a minor version”.

Absolutely. My wife and I have now been “jabbed” 7 times, the last one being two weeks’ ago. Shortly after the 6th, in April, my wife felt ill so tested herself and was Covid positive. Her illness was only slight and lasted less than 24 hours. She tested daily and was Covid-negative within 5 days (she avoided people for that period).

After she tested positive, I also tested and 24 hours later the test showed positive. I had no symptoms of any kind – nevertheless I also avoided other people. I re-tested on alternate days and it took 10 days before I got a negative result, during which time – again – I had no symptoms.

As for ‘flu, in my teens and early 20s, I got ‘flu (and colds) every year, sometimes quite heavily. I embarked on annual ‘flu vaccinations in the early 1970s when these were experimental and then every year since (around 50 years). I have never had ‘flu since then and only one cold in the last 20 years or more.

My opinion/guess is that the LGW problem is more likely to be related to something else – maybe stress or working conditions. The authorities should be looking at this, especially if similar absenteeism is not being suffered in the other large South-East England airports.

CheerUp
    Participant

‘Yes you can still get Covid after being jabbed but most medical options I have read suggest those of us who are jabbed only get a minor version.’

Which would still require staff with positive Covid tests to be off work – hence the need to limit flights?

ASK1945
    Participant

Cheerup wrote: “Which would still require staff with positive Covid tests to be off work – hence the need to limit flights?”

This doesn’t answer my final point.

CheerUp
    Participant

Sorry i was replying to Paulhw43uk.

I agree there may be more to it.

Paulhw43uk
    Participant

Free Covid tests were withdrawn by NHS, unless you have acute underlying medical condition. All others have to buy a test kit.

(https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-19-services/testing-for-covid-19/who-can-get-a-free-nhs-covid-19-rapid-lateral-flow-test/)

Paulhw43uk
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, I hope you and your wife are all better now.
    I think the stress etc maybe the answer.

Paulhw43uk
    Participant

Hey Mark
    I’m not seeing my message or any replies at the end of the thread like you say ?
    Paul

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Paulhw43uk

On behalf of Mark I must explain that the Norse thread is quite a long one.

You need to go to Page 5 for the news piece in question. Check link below:

Norse Atlantic Airways – new low-cost, long-haul operator

I can confirm the LGW-SFO route will cease next month.

Aeroroutes.com reported earlier this month that the route was closed for new reservations.

I suspect bookings were weak towards the end of October hence Norse cancelled the flight for commercial reasons.

Another traveller had booked Norse for LGW-BOS around this time and his flight was also cancelled.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My understanding is that the Government guidance remains, if you suffer from covid there is no need legal requirement to isolate or stay at home. If there is no need to isolate, why is there a need for free covid tests.

I accept people have the freedom to choose – but I see no reason not to fly, if you don’t feel unwell.

As for testing / before you fly – I see no reason to have a test kit at home.

Are airlines allowing people to change / cancel flights if they have covid?

Only going by what appear to be the rules & again, I accept people have the right to choose.

As for having the jabs or not, that is a totally different discussion and from the medics I have spoken to is very much NOT a clear yes/no.

I hope all people who suffer from any illness recover quickly.

For the record, I have had 4 jabs – and am not sure whether I will take a 5th. I do not fall into either the 65+ or vulnerable category, but have been told if I want a 5th, I can take it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls