Norse Atlantic Airways – new low-cost, long-haul operator

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

  • AMcWhirter
    Participant

    I have had to file this under “Norwegian” as it’s such a new airline.

    Norse Atlantic Airways was announced a few hours ago. Currently it is a paper airline.

    What is interesting is that this carrier has been started by the previous founders of Norwegian.

    It will even operate some of Norwegian’s long-haul transatlantic routes from London Gatwick and Paris.

    It intends to operate B787s (as did Norwegian).

    First flights are set for late 2021.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/norway-airlines-norseatlantic-idUSL8N2LD4UN

    2 users thanked author for this post.

    canucklad
    Participant

    It will even operate some of Norwegian’s long-haul transatlantic routes from London Gatwick and Paris.

    Whats that famous phrase/question again…….Oh yes I remember now

    “What’s the definition of insanity ? ”

    4 users thanked author for this post.

    cwoodward
    Participant

    Any bets on how long it will last ?

    Mine is that it will be less than 2 years – that is if it ever gets off of the ground.


    GivingupBA
    Participant

    Three years. At most. One thing is sure, I personally would never either buy a ticket on them, or invest in them

    1 user thanked author for this post.

    esselle
    Participant

    Any bets on how long it will last ?

    Mine is that it will be less than 2 years – that is if it ever gets off of the ground.

    BK has a sizeable stake, so a good sign in my view.


    cwoodward
    Participant

    Norse Atlantic Airways

    10% is not very ‘sizable’ however Bjorn Kljos, Bjørn Kise, and Bjørn Tore Larsen who own the remaining 90% have or HAD deep pockets

    As Richard Branson is oft quoted as having said “the quickest way to become a millionaire in the airline business is to start out as a billionaire.”

    The long haul low cost model has never worked, at least not long term.
    Will this be the exception?
    In all probability not but time will tell.

    4 users thanked author for this post.

    EU_Flyer
    Participant

    I’m sure Norwegian’s creditors will be delighted.

    Hopefully it will give some of the ex-Norwegian pilots / crew a job

    1 user thanked author for this post.

    Inquisitive
    Participant

    It will depend on price point and innovative service. And it will depend on if the new airline could have any unique selling point.

    Another thread discussed lie-flat bed for economy passengers.
    Let’s say someone comes out with an innovative bunk bed design and that is approved by regulators and this airline adopt that – that could be a game changer and profit could be possible from first entrant’s advantage.


    Johnnyg
    Participant

    Surely two of the biggest drivers for passengers apart from pricing has to be timing of slots and decent destinations.

    1 user thanked author for this post.

    SimonS1
    Participant

    It could be either madness or a really smart idea.

    By the end of 2021 the market will start to re-open, so that could be a great opportunity for a new airline starting without legacy issues or debts and competing against existing carriers who have all the baggage of Covid to clear up.

    Plus there will be plenty of surplus aircraft available (so leasing rates low) and skilled crew available (eg ex Norwegian staff).

    3 users thanked author for this post.

    jjlasne
    Participant

    Already have a web site: https://flynorse.com/news

    1 user thanked author for this post.

    TominScotland
    Participant

    I think this is their first craft about to depart for the US

    Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.

    AMcWhirter
    Participant

    Thanks for the alert jjlasne. It must be new. We all checked a couple of days ago (when our copy was written) and there was no website and not even a photo at that time.


    CS KOK
    Participant

    I think this is their first craft about to depart for the US

    Is this ETOPS certified?


    transtraxman
    Participant

    I think this is their first craft about to depart for the US

    Will these be two man or four man rows?

    ….and the leg room?
    ….and the middle seats blocked?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls