Norse Atlantic to operate London to Lagos

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This is a surprise.

News today that Norse Atlantic will operate four flights a week London Gatwick to Lagos on behalf of Nigeria’s Air Peace.

As I have previously noted on Forum, Norse will be operating fewer transatlantic flights from Gatwick in summer 2024.

So Norse will now be using some of these slots for the flights it will operate for Air Peace.

The deal starts in April and will run for an initial period of two months and it can be extended.

Flyairpeace.com now lists the London Gatwick to Lagos route on its website but no bookings are possible at time of writing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Interesting development. Air Peace have quite an extensive network in West Africa, including Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Senegal and The Gambia. If connections are reasonable through Lagos, then I imagine flight tickets could be considerably cheaper than the existing European carriers to the region (BA, Air France, KLM, Brussels Air). It will be interesting to see if they can make a go of it. And if it has any impact on the other carriers’ pricing.

cwoodward
    Participant

Any port in a storm it would appear.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Even allowing for potential extensions, a 2 month agreement does seem very short. I assume the plan is for Air Peace to operate their own aircraft on the route after that.

From the little I have seen of them (on YouTube) I wouldn’t be rushing to fly with them.

SimonS1
    Participant

Let’s hope Norse have a way of getting paid. I believe Emirates pulled their Nigeria routes due to lack of FX and inability to get money from ticket sales out of the country.

Rferguson2
    Participant

What I find most significant is that Norse is effectively dipping its toes into the Wet Lease market with this route.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Air Peace has started 3x weekly flights LOS – Mumbai operating a 777, and I’m told flights are constantly overbooked. I suspect the EK fiasco has spilt over into heavy non-stop demand between the 2 countries.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I wonder if this is the re-evaluation / new direction the airline talked about not long ago.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This is naturally big news in Nigeria.

Airpeace CEO Dr Allen Onyema was interviewed by local TV.

It’s a long interview and I listened to the first 12 mins.

But Dr Onyema explained that Airpeace’s first choice was LHR but that wasn’t possible and his airline was given LTN or STN which did not appeal.

LGW was not the first choice and initially the airport offered ad hoc slots (meaning different slot times on different days of the week).

The CEO said Airpeace would be flying daily with 787s.

He made no mention of the fact that flights would be leased from Norse Air.

Again no schedules are currently displayed on the carrier’s website although LGW-Lagos-LGW is shown.

It could be that flight times are not yet finally. The CEO talked about Airpeace departing Lagos at 03:30 (although I may have misheard).

2 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

It does seem very late in the day to not yet be selling seats for a flight launching in a little over a month…..with only a 2 month Norse contract.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

In September 2023 the CEO was very vocal about getting LHR slots “Or nothing”. I hope it’s ok that i post the link to an interview he gave .

I have to say that i’ve been rather very positively surprised with this airline. Not long ago it looked like it’d be the next Baltia Air or one of those start ups that were only on paper. Well done.

Air Peace Rejects UK Govt’s Offer To Fly To Gatwick, Insists On Heathrow Airport

Mark
    Participant

With Hugs demand from Lagos
    Passengers will happily jump on this opportunity to fly this route.
    Word of mouth will be the best advertising on this “new” route!

Air Peace would do well to allow Norse to run this route for them.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just an hour or so ago and Air Peace tweeted the following:

Rferguson2
    Participant

Let’s hope this Air Peace deal helps Norse out ££$$

Norse have just released their 2023 full year results and they are not good. A net loss of US$169m on revenue of US$439m.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Ouch…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls