Norse Atlantic to operate London to Lagos

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

This development is interesting on a number of levels and I do not know where to start.

Some thoughts

1) Hope Norsk actually get proper money for this
    2) Air Peace CEO I think was being evasive when he chose not to say it was in conjunction with Norsk and the interviewer should have done their home work and know what planes are in their fleet at present (as in not any 787)
    3) Is the reason AP are not using their own planes is that the owner is worried about it being impounded for any reason? I heard for example that he is banned in US or wanted there for some financial issues (stand to be corrected on this/these )
    4) I wonder if Norsk have shown some real lack of imagination with the routes they have flown on/pulled out of. Perhaps Ghana/West Africa/Tanzania would have been more rewarding options and with less competition.
    5) 2 months is just odd and as said above very short notice to see if this works

I had other thoughts/questions but those are the ones off the top of my head.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norse will be operating these flights for Air Peace under what’s termed an ACMI contract.

It means not only will Norse provide the 787 but also the crew, maintenance and insurance.

Yet Nigerian TV news broadcasts posted above make no mention of this.

I suspect Air Peace will provide a few of its own cabin crew otherwise passengers will be confused.

https://skift.com/2024/02/27/why-norse-atlantic-will-be-flying-to-nigeria-this-summer/

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Having never been to Nigeria (sister lived there but I could not be enticed!), does anyone know if BA and / or Virgin have any Nigerian crew on this route?

cwoodward
    Participant

As I recall back in about 2018 Virgin sacked its 20 Nigerian based cabin crew “due to the difficulties of operating an international crew base”.
    I believe that BA followed suit but I am not 100% certain of this for the same reason.

There were of course deeper reasons.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Looking back, Virgin also had a Nigerian subsidiary (they had a 49% share), Virgin Nigeria, which ran from around 2005 to 2009. I believe that relationship ended due to government interference.

I hope both Air Peace & Norse know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

At some point, Virgin Nigeria had a significant number of Bulgarian flight crew. I know this as my British friend flew with them regularly at the time. One crew member once said to the other, in Bulgarian, “this [drink] is for the fat guy in 2A”.

How were they to know that he spoke fluent Bulgarian? When he replied that “the fat man says thank you”, they were mortified. Needless to say he was very well looked after on that and subsequent flights!

2 users thanked author for this post.

cybertravller
    Participant

Never in my memory has BA had a Nigerian-based cabin crew; the LHR crew regarded it as a route to be avoided at all costs due to the security situation and the treatment they received from passengers on board.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flight schedules now posted on its website shows Air Peace departing Lagos at either 23:59 or 00:45 hrs to give an early arrival into LGW.

The return flight is showing at 11:10 from LGW.

Aircraft type shown is mainly 787s configured Y and PE which must be Norse planes.

But a couple shown are operated by 777s configured Y and J (biz class).

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

There are numerous mentions in old internet postings of BA Nigerian based crew cybertraveller.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls