Nigella’s Cocaine Past Gets Her Thrown Off US Bound Flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I wasn’t aware that the *taking* of drugs was illegal.

I *thought* it was just the sale or being found in possession which was against UK law.

Seems rather overkill that having confessed to taking recreational drugs, Nigella has been refused permission to fly to the US.

I presume this would have been triggered by an alert from the ESTA system.

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of such habits, is it appropriate for the US to deny boarding based on court testimony relating to previous drug-taking?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes, especially in the case of high profile celebs who ought to be showing a better example to our youth than they do now. We see celebrity campaigns against fur, fracking and so on, so let’s see one against drugs and the harm they cause to our society.

esselle
    Participant

Fully agree with you LP.

The whole “celebrity” thing drives me potty. If the US authorities decide to ban somebody as publicly as this, it should serve as a warning to others.

BigDog.
    Participant

Is red top headline sensationalism on a business forum really appropriate/necessary? Nigella was “barred from entry” hardly “thrown off” – she didn’t even board let alone get “thrown off”.

Further

…Miss Lawson is believed to have registered online for permission to travel to the US, where travellers must confirm that they have not been arrested or convicted of offences, including taking illegal drugs….

SimonS1
    Participant

SM – I’m trying hard to work out how you would be able to take drugs without being in possession of them? Maybe you can enlighten us on that.

Can’t say I have much sympathy for her really. It only makes the paper because she is who she is. No different to the thousands of other people refused admission.

canucklad
    Participant

Agree with your sentiment LP.

I’m uncomfortable with the hypocrisy of it all though. Sadly this particular drugs usage is so widespread now, it’s frightening. If you barred every user from flying from let’s say , LHR to JFK the premium cabin would be half empty as the City and Manhattan set would be stuck at home.

Even my local village pub has to deal with the problem!

PhilipHart
    Participant

SM, it was more likely to have been triggered by the bitter, control-freak, ex-husband system!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is “probably” the basis for Ms Lawson to be in the situation she is in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

… and this should be a warning to all travellers to the States.

No sympathy in this corner…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think because she is high profile she was refused entry. As I read, many ordinary citizens who confess to drug use but are not convicted are not spotted and freely enter the US.

KarlMarx
    Participant

I think because she is high profile she was refused entry. As I read, many ordinary citizens who confess to drug use but are not convicted are not spotted and freely enter the US.

Noblesse oblige.

KarlMarx
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 03/04/2014 07:50 GMT

I wasn’t aware that the *taking* of drugs was illegal.

Are you insane??????

https://www.gov.uk/penalties-drug-possession-dealing

SergeantMajor
    Participant

PH, yes indeed it could have been done in “revenge”.

No mention of any penalties in the UK for drug taking in the link posted above.

None.

Are you insane, KarlMarx?

BusinessBabble
    Participant

In the UK it is not strictly illegal to take drugs, only to unlawfully produce them, have them in your possession or pass them to someone else.

Clearly, someone would have to possess prior to taking, but if they were caught having done all the taking there is no legal issue.

rferguson
    Participant

I don’t think any ‘crime’ prohibits someone from visiting the US. I believe it only makes them ineligible to apply for ESTA and they should instead apply for a Visa to the US Embassy (who will likely deny the Visa anyway). But pretty sure that’s the official line. Though saying that, as far as i’m aware Nigella wasn’t formally charged with any crime relating to drugs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls