New York to London on One World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Am looking for some guidance for a trip from New York to London in CW/Business.
    For a change, I have a choice so wish to make the most of it – both experience and opportunity:-
    1. BA 747 Upper Deck (possibly refurbished);
    2. BA JFK – London City
    3. American Airlines 777-300/200
    Thoughts / recommendations welcomed.
    Happy rainy Wednesday !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

What do you value the most?

If it is a lower density layout, with 1-2-1 seating, then I’d take AA. Food will be okay, wine selection average, service – who knows?

If you like novelty, the A318 from LCY would be interesting, especialy with pre-clearance at DUB. Can’t comment further, as I haven’t taken the service personally.

The upper deck on the 747 is also interesting, but if you get a poor crew, then it can take the edge off the experience – on the other hand it could be great – it’s a crapshoot. I haven’t flown BA since a stinker of a flight last year, but colleagues tell me the food has improved – and the drinks menu is wide and better quality then AA.

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

BA A318. It is non-stop on the return leg.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ ConcordeFlyer – 27/01/2016 08:08 GMT

Between BA 747 and AA 77W, I would go with AA everytime. Rows 3 and 4 are right behind first, and small intimate cabin. The seat is as good if not better than BA’s First, food is superior as well with pre-order service available to ensure your first choice, and their wine selection is more eclectic than BA’s. Only issue I have ever had on AA is that they tend to run out of Champagne as not enough is ever loaded and then you are offered their sparkling plonk that they use as a pre departure beverage. Other than that, AA wins hands down. I am a fan of BA upper deck, but not when compared to the AA 77W. I have not been on AA refitted 777-200 which look great, but the non refitted aircraft are dire, and I would avoid until they have been refitted with the new business seats.

Like FDOS_UK, I think the LCY service must be great, and if possible I would do that. I have yet to use the service, but the idea of arriving into JFK from Europe as a domestic passenger, the small intimate aircraft, the rapid baggage claim, all sound great. I hope to try it as well. And as your moniker states, you loved Concorde, and the LCY services use the old Concorde flight numbers.

rferguson
    Participant

Why not combine both?

I’d chose AA LHR-JFK. I think they are better on daylight flights than BA. Direct aisle access, wifi, good standard of catering, newer aircraft. Plus access to the OW lounges @ LHR T3.

I’d chose to come back on BA though – 747 U/D or A318. I find AA are a bit slower service wise on short night flights and don’t have proper pre flight dining etc.

nmtraveller
    Participant

I’d agree with rferguson with AA to JFK and BA back to London.
    I really liked the AA seat (big, spacious, large TV screen, direct aisle access) and service was nice and friendly every time I used them. Food was rather average though (but plane food these days anyway…) and wine was really REALLY bad in my view. But overall, LHR-JFK is not a very long flight so for me the comfort of the seat is the most important hence my choice of AA.
    On the way back, I’d only choose BA for their lounge as the AA lounge in JFK is very old and depressing.

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

All – thanks for feedback.
    Just in transit so will be reviewing later.
    Actually flying to Canada, then in NYC before returning, so option over Atlantic is already made, BA.
    Key for me is good rest since I will dine beforehand.
    Tempted by A318 since will probably not do route again for considerable period but nothing in my eyes compares to the 747 U/D particularly if I get a refurbished plane & do not wish to risk old AA 777.
    Despite the various BA issues, I am still a fan – they do what it says on the tin…..and tend to get you out of trouble when problems / changes arise.
    Decisions…decisions…

slotski
    Participant

I’ve flown the AA 777W and thought it was great and it’s my choice over the BA 747UD. The 1x2x1 seating is so much better than BA and the on-board snack bar is far superior to the BA Club Kitchen.

I prefer the OW lounges at T3 and agree the JFK T8 AA Admirals lounge is a bit naff, but if you have OWE status(?) you can access the Flagship lounge which should be better.

One more consideration is whether you are bothered about the arrivals lounge when returning to London. No facility at LCY, I’ve heard negative things about the BA T5 arrivals lounge, but from my experience the AA T3 arrivals lounge is fine for a shower and breakfast

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If it is a single New York to London, it really depends where you need to be… I like LCY as I can get home quicker.

If cost is an issue – and not wishing to throw a spanner in the works, but I would consider going via Dublin..on US/AA

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Martyn.
    Its not down to money and I will be coming straight into central London.
    Its about trying something new for a change since I will travelling alone.
    Am tempted by the A318 however not sure if its as quiet and smooth as 747 U/D + may want an arrivals lounge in London.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The only noise you will suffer with on the 318 is heavy footed cabin crew going about their duties. In order to reduce weight in the aircraft, the carpet padding is thinner.. take mid ship – less traffic…

Out of the three you mention.. my choice would be..

1. AA
    2. LCY
    3. upstairs on a 747..

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I’m with everyone above I think.
    AA 77W every time!
    Food is about the same as BA – average at best.
    Out of 6 TA’s over the past 6 months or so, I have had one grumpy crew on AA, the rest are a pure delight.
    Although, I DID have an a/c change from refurbished 772 to an old 2-3-2 one, but there is one flight each day (almost) guaranteed to be a 77W – AA100 at about 1800.
    I really do love that seat and the privacy.
    You sound like you’ve decided on the Babybus though – remember that you will be stepping over or getting stepped over on there, not on the 77W.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ Speedbird_ABZ – 27/01/2016 13:26 GMT
    @ MartynSinclair – 27/01/2016 11:02 GMT

+1, fully agree with you both

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Last 5 out of 6 clients I’ve booked on AA NYC-LHR have had the chance to upgrade to F Class for £275 which seems very good value (with extra Avios & Tier Points as well). Might be worth considering and if not offered still a very good J seat. Would need AA100 though I think if that works with schedules as other flights only 2 class 777’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls