New York shut down

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I must be good at attracting natural diasters as I am stuck in NYC until next Monday!

Same with the volcanic ash cloud last year in Milan.

As I come from a typhoon area and feel there is an over reaction by the mayor for shutting down the mass transit and ALL NY airports on saturday as the hurricane is not due to hit the NYC area till tomorrow morning. I guess Bloomberg is afraid of another criticism from last December snow disruption. Not good for his re-election!!!

Fortunately I am staying in Chelsea which is not an evacuation (low-lying) area. Imagine me in a shelter camp!!!!!!!!

PatJordan
    Participant

We were in Manhattan during a very heavy snow storm in February 2002.

I was amazed at how the city just got on with things: shopkeepers swept away the snow which was collected by snow ploughs and trucks. Transport operated (albeit slowly), and everybody just got on with things,

Can’t reconcile that attitude with the shutdown of the NYC area.

Hope your extended stay in NYC passes ok, FlyingChinaman.

Pat

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Patrick: Thanks and I should be OK as I have lots of New Yorkers friends living nearby my hotel and within walking distance.

What I am amazed by how the government officials are taking such dramtic measure sooner than necessary!

I guess it ‘s a FIRST for the Big Apple to have their subway system shutting down in over a 100 years and they like to do it in a grand scale!!!

I’t’s NewYork New York New York!!!!!!

azidane
    Participant

One certain incident that may explain the reaction…..Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans and bad preparations.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

My American friends all refered to the past experience with Katrina.

I see the people in the supermarkets and drug stores are a little uncertain as to what to stock up for this week-end but the shelves for flash lights (touches), candles, matches were all cleaned out!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Stay safe FlyingChinaman.

RichHI1
    Participant

Chinaman, you have my sympathies but as you say worse places to be than Chelsea.
    I got lucky, flew out of Kennedy Monday and I am back on Friday in between there is an earthquake and a hurricane.
    Still your Hawaiian heritage should give you some experience of Hurricane preparation, on Kauai we still remember Iniki and Iwa.
    Hope you make it out safe.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Thanks Martyn and Rich.

Irene has shown me that most New Yorkers have no idea of the possible consequences from a powerful hurricane (may be only know it from hurricane lamps in shops! ) as I saw no prepareness in my district except ONE shop which used masking tapes on it’s windows while Bloombery is advising people non-stop on TV to take all necessary precautions in the high-risk areas.

Let’s hope Irene will not blow the Big Apple off the tree!!!
    I have high hurricane/typhoon awareness so I should be fine.

PatJordan
    Participant

FlyingChinaman, to echo Martyn, do stay safe over there.

Maybe Bloomberg is being ultra cautious to avoid possible lawsuits in the future. That would be the advice of most civil service advisors.

Best regards,

Pat

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Pat: I think Bloomberg wants to aviod any casualty in order not to jeopodize his re-election and therefore exercising this over prepareness!!

One day early shut down will casue the nation plenty of economic damage, which can be avoided without affecting storm precaution.

I shall stay safe as I have the hurricane survival instinct in me!

I shall start off by sleeping away from the windows tonight!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

FlyingChinaman

When you are able, please let us know that you are safe and sound.

Communipaw
    Participant

Mayor Bloomberg is on his second term of office. He will not be able to run for re-election again.

RichHI1
    Participant

Looks like with some commonsense and some planning another bullet has been dodged. Chinaman let us know when you make it out safe.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi:

Thanks for your concern. Actually it was difficult to stay “dry” indoors as there were so many invites for “getting-together” and “hot-tub” parties last night! Staying safe was difficult either as New Yorkers are famous for their aggressiveness and advances!!!!

Communipaw: Thank you for your info. May be he wanted to leave office as a good mayor!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls