Name a place…

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 91 through 95 (of 95 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Rereading my earlier posts, I see I mentioned El Mina in Ghana last August. By coincidence, I managed to go to Ghana last month and this time made it to Elmina, 23 years after I turned my previous chance down!

It was certainly a fascinating visit. What made it different from other places like this is that all visitors are allocated a guide. This is actually essential since there are almost no signs or information boards explaining the history. Therefore you rely completely on the guide for the history as he walks you around and your imagination to envisage what life was like there. I found that to be a quite different way of experiencing a historical place and I think it does work.

icenspice
    Participant

This thread brings back many memories as I am in fact the person who started it last July. At the time I was flying out to New York with my mother to visit my brother. A week later on the flight back to Dublin and, if I think back, she was very quiet and not quite her usual self. I remember waving her off on the bus to Belfast. She was tired and was looking forward to getting home.

Then in early September came the terrible news she had terminal cancer, just when she should have been enjoying her retirement. Between then and her death in early December I went home 4 times. It was quite alarming just how quickly she went downhill.

In her last few years we had travelled together quite a few times to several places, including to New York three times….somewhere I will find it difficult to return to. Perhaps at some point in the future I will look back on those trips with happy memories, but not just yet.

No. 1 on her list would have been Alaska which has been mentioned several times.

Happy and safe travels all and take every opportunity to visit those places you dream of visiting.

MrMichael
    Participant

Alex ? Sorry to hear your bad news, wish you well. Wondered where you had gone and in some post I did ask.

icenspice
    Participant

MrMichael, you are a true gentleman.

I am in floods of tears for the first time in the past couple of months. I guess I should get used to it!

Best wishes

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Icenspice

Condolences… but I think you should continue with 2 – 5 for your Mum…(if that’s OK)…

1. Alaska

Viewing 5 posts - 91 through 95 (of 95 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls