Name a place…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)

• rjhcambs
    Participant

Patagonia
    Walking safari in Luangwa south Park, Zambia
    Trans Siberian to Beijing via Ulaan Batour
    and as many above North Korea. I visited Seoul for the first time this April and did the obligatory DMZ tour with USO (US Army organisation). This was quite bizarre – being herded round the border by armed GI’s who quite easily created quite a tense situation aided by the ever watchful North Vietnamese guards. Still you get to stand all of 10mt inside N. Vietnam!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

MrMichael – as long as the jet is from a recognised/acceptable country, anything is possible in N Korea…………. and US$ are gratefully accepted!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

As a lazy biologist uk/aussi/us commuter, over the years I’ve managed most places mentioned other than Easter Is/Antartica though sadly have missed on Ethiopia & Namibia.

The problem is my wife – would love to take her to stunning places like Mali, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan but all these have sadly collapsed into chaos so, for now, its back to easy parts of Africa and South America on holidays.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Uzbekistan
    Tajikistan (I have been to the other three “stans” and find them fascinating)
    Nepal (I like montains)
    Mali (just met a very interesting person from there)
    Yemen (recommendation of a friend)

Tallinnman
    Participant

Patagonia/Antartica
    Beirut
    Santiago de Chile
    Donegal
    Toronto

JohnHarper
    Participant

Laos – don’t know why I’ve never been as it’s so close to Thailand
    St Petersburg
    Namibia
    Tibet
    Nepal

canucklad
    Participant

To honour my dear departed mum I feel the need to add two more to my list……

The place she threatened to send a naughty boy like me…..Timbuktu
    &
    wherever Banana boats come from, as in her telling me after I tried to weedle out a ridiculous excuse for being naughty ….”Do you think I came up the Clyde in a banana boat”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Canucklad – you have also reminded me of another place 2 places I would like to go:

** Cunard across the Atlantic – even around the world

** Cargo boat cruise

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Canucklad, how lovely, clearly your Mum was more genteel than I am with my boys.

So to add to your list, I have to add:
    Yesterday – as in I wasn’t born
    The place where the sun don’t shine – as in I’ll give you a kick etc! 😉

Martyn, done the Atlantic on the QM2 – fabulous, even in November. Now wanting to do QM2 or even Queen Victoria 100 day RTW cruise.

Cargo boat to S. Africa is possible and I’ve the details somewhere…..

Thanks everyone, I am really enjoying reading all your replies.

Martyn, there is an Elephant Orphanage at Pinnawala in Sri Lanka and watching them bathe in the river is one of the many highlights of a visit to the island.

And where exactly would you like to visit in Space MrMichael? I’m afraid I am with your wife on that one!

North Korea has never appealed, not even in a private jet!

I will throw in two more….Kerry and Uzbekistan.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

There is a Freighter that does supplies around Tahiti which you can get on. Not sure if a full “Cargo” cruise experience but might be nice!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There is an Elephant Orphanage in Chiang Rai, I believe run in part by the Four Seasons. I would prefer a non gimmicky place though, as I do not believe in animals performing for an audience.

Thanks LP and Alex for your recommendations, would love to take the recs on day soon.

Tim, that freighter sounds idyllic. How long will it take to S. Africa..?

I am also going on the QM is September.. looking forward to that…

BA744fan
    Participant

Good topic Alex, especially on a Monday.

Vietnam – culture
    Laos – culture and mystery
    Chile – wine
    Argentina – wine and steak
    South Africa – wine & game (alive and on a plate)

Can cross SA off the list in 2015 as Cape Town booked.

MrMichael
    Participant

Alexpo, where in space? just an orbit of planet Earth would do me just fine. One of my great regrets is having never flown Concorde, got darn close one day….a story I can relate on request, so to be higher and faster than the lucky people that did Concorde would be just awesome.

Regarding the Freighter and Banana boats, you can as a pax take the freighter from Portsmouth to the Caribbean most weeks. It is darn expensive though, around three times the daily rate of a decent cruise ship. If you want to try it out, a few of the Baltic lines do two-five day trips from the East Coast of the UK to the Baltic States, mainly carrying Timber and Paper.

As we do not seem to be sticking to five….one more for my list is North Cape for the aurora borealis. I spent a great deal of time in the Scandinavian Countries but never quite made North Cape and never saw the aurora.

K1ngston
    Participant

Also in no particular order and the reasons why however frivolous

Hawaii Ever Since Magnum PI and 5-0 have always wanted too
    Mongolia… The ruggedness really appeals
    Korea North and South … Both countries I have never visited in all my time in SE Asia
    And in recognition of Canucklads mum and my mum who obviously knew the destination of the Banana Boat I too would like to go there …..

Great topic

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls