Menus for Business class: what’s the right time for the crew to distribute them?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

I have so many real concerns in MY life that distribution of menus, frankly even the choice on the menu and whether the fork has 3 or 4 tines is the last of my worries.
    Being served American ‘champagne’ might get a reaction, but as long as my seat is long enough to stretch out and the FA can hold a conversation, I am fairly happy.

Otte
    Participant

Inquisitive, a 3-4 thousands usd paid for a 7-8 hours of flying Business in Africa is a fortune, especially when you know the employees involved in your service are paid peanuts, and the airline makes a huge profit on it. That’s the reality in Africa. The only way an average African citizens can get out of the country to Europe or the USA is by working for an airline.
    What a US flight attendant with high seniority earns on on long haul trip,
    I cannot change the reality of living in Africa, but if I pay that amount of money to an African carrier they very much indeed need to pamper me.
    Not to reuse menues or sit you 2-3-2 on a B777, working IFE is a miracle.

Otte
    Participant

Nevereconomy, this discussion is not for you then.
    If you have some opinion on it, please share, if you feel like ridiculing the subject, skip to the next subject.
    Cynical remarks do not belong here.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=976194]A suggestion is to have the menue as part of the IFE, so you can read all about the dishes, without having to deal with lack of menues or late distribution of menus.[/quote]

You now also have the choice of downloading the menu 30 days prior to departure and ordering (on some airlines) 30 days in advance. That way you can board, very well prepared.

Wonder if one day you will also be able to set up your IFE with a film / programme / music choice before boarding too… I imagine the need for menu’s will become less and less… perhaps one day, alcohol laws permitting, you will also be able to pre order your favourite drink ready for when you board.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Martin, in SQ one can mark favourites from the IFE in to the Krisflier account for a planned view later even on other flights.

A number of newspapers and magazines can also be downloaded.
    And they have book the cook service.

So all the facilities you fancied are available in some airlines, no reason why others cannot copy the same.

TupeloKid
    Participant

For those impatient and curmudgeonly passengers like me, who don’t want to have paid $X000 in order to wait for food (even if there is the privilege of being waited on), why not put the menu online so – for those who choose – this can all be sorted before boarding. Those that do not want to linger over the meal could select (say) the main course only, or a sandwich, and be finished with it by the time others are just getting to the main.

After all, when you are in a restaurant, you don’t have to keep time with the table next to you.

Pre-ordering would also reduce the chance of the airline “running out” of one choice halfway through serving a three-quarters empty cabin because of their bean counters’ (no pun intended) estimates. (Hello CX.)

TupeloKid
    Participant

Just noticed MartynSinclair’s comment about pre-ordering.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=976528]Pre-ordering would also reduce the chance of the airline “running out” of one choice halfway through serving a three-quarters empty cabin because of their bean counters’ (no pun intended) estimates. (Hello CX.)[/quote]

Agreed, but the trouble is , the rather than see this as a solution to a shrinkage problem, the bean counters would turn in it an opportunity to fleece again , by applying a “minimal admin charge” or something similar.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

For me, I like the menu, amenity kit, etc., to be brought to me whilst on the ground, handed to me, as opposed to these items being placed at my seat already. It is a way to start the interaction with the crew, and allows me to sort out my carry-on placement and things I need for the flight prior to any other clutter. On BA they do this well, but what I do find odd on BA is the large ‘bag’ of the White Company bedding being on the seat, only to be told all these items need to be put in the over head for Take off. Why not hand this out after take off then?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Is it really possible to set one rule that will sort all situations? I don’t think so. For instance, on a late evening departure from Africa, the Middle East or the US East Coast, I don’t give a damn about menus as I eat ahead of the flight and sleep onboard (that idea that people eat because it’s free at the cost of a minimum sleep is utterly ridiculous in my view). Now on a longer flight especially if it takes off before dinner time, it’s different. But as long as the wait time is not too long, I am happy.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have recently flown SQ in J to London and back and was able to book my meals in advance on line, the food was delicious and the service impeccable. As we are talking first world issues the one problem I had was with the J seat in both configurations, not at all comfortable, but on my flight back and with no car in Singapore to drive I availed myself of the lovely Australian Shiraz and couldn’t care afterwards …….

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not bothered as I don’t eat on planes, unless caviar is being offered that is 😉

I did fly Austrian recently to NY, and they have a chef on board so as it was a day flight I thought I’d give it a try. The chef thing is I think a bit of a gimmick, as all he really does is reheat and assemble the dish. What was delicious though, were the Wienerli with a Viennese bread roll served just before arrival. I’ll make an exception to my no eating rule for those if I fly Austrian again!

capetonianm
    Participant

It is not a great concern to me, but on Saturday on the the Edelweiss/Swiss daylight flight from CPT-ZRH, we were offered drinks before departure, then crisp clean lunch menus printed on paper, inside a card cover, by a very pleasant cabin crew, who later came back and noted our choices, offering to give details if needed. Overall, the service was excellent and lives up to the well deserved reputation that the Swiss have for efficiency and courtesy.

My wife thought that the male flight attendant who looked after us was very good looking, and I thought the same of the young lady! We both enjoyed the IFE and comfort level.

What I did think odd though was that when I asked for a small packet of potato chips (the lovely Swiss Zweifel paprika ones) to nibble with pre-lunch G&T, I was told that they are not part of the service and come from the onboard sales and I would have to pay Fr. 3 for it. I understand that the Swiss do everything by the book, and if that is the rule, then so be it, and I was not going to complain, but it does seem somewhat miserly to ask a business class passenger to pay for a packet of crisps. In the end though they never asked me for the money, I’m not sure whether that was by mistake or if they thought better of it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=977598]In the end though they never asked me for the money, I’m not sure whether that was by mistake or if they thought better of it.[/quote]

I think they made a mistake in asking you. Y pax do have to pay, C don’t. It’s the same on the Swiss flights ex GVA.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=977624][/postquote]

Actually, it is a bit more complicated…
    – C gets 3 little verrines, as you probably know
    – Y regular and flexible get a sort of sandwich and water (excepted GVA-ZRH)
    – Light Y have to pay (BoB)

The stewardess walks the aisle with an iPad to know what treatment the pax will get.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls