Major development at P & O Ferries today

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

One can certainly debate the need for redundancies, the business models which could survive in a global shipping market and whether treaties and legislation related to shipping needs tightening or not.

But what seems to me undeniable, is that the P&O management have treated their staff with utter contempt in the way the redundancies were announced, broken the law (by their own admission) and trashed the reputation and name of a long-standing British company. It may or may not be feasible to re-instate some or all of the sacked workers – we will see – but surely all the top management of P&O should either be sacked by the Board/Shareholders or, if they value their own personal reputations, they should resign, immediately, and forego any severance pay. That might go some way to restoring a level of confidence in the company and the wider industry.

5 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207491]

I am sure this was not a local decision, but rather a somewhat bungling and cack-handed attempt to implement a decision made elsewhere.

The tone deaf incompetence of the UK based CEO has, however, probably impacted on his future career prospects.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1207536]I am sure this was not a local decision, but rather a somewhat bungling and cack-handed attempt to implement a decision made elsewhere.[/quote]

I am inclined to think you are right Eselle, but the DP World Manager and the P&O CEO were both interrogated by the select committee last week and both were adamant that the decision was taken solely by P&O management. So either we are wrong in our assessment or we can add ‘lying to a select committee’ to the charge sheet, for both P&O and DP World.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207564]

I guess it depends where up the DP World chain the edict was given………

DavidSmith2
    Participant

well the person interviewed by the Committee was Jesper Kristensen, Group COO, Maritime Services, DP World. He flatly denied that DP World were involved in the decision at all. He certainly came over (to me) as someone I would not want to meet in a dark alleyway!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls