Major development at P & O Ferries today

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• DannyBoy
    Participant

The stupid thing was all the P &O staff were on furlough so the company lost no charges in terms of labor costs. All the new staff are temporary foreign workers getting paid an average wage of £1 per hour. This has nothing to do with Brexit as the point of the withdrawal from the EU was to do away with issues like this to save the British jobs for British workers! There is still however a possibility to resolve this and this is by an idea by the Govt to have two major open ports within the UK whereby P&O can potentially earn up to £800m over the next few years. However, the chancellor is willing to apply strong sanctions to the UAE parent company of P&O in the ability to trade within the UK but only if they reemploy all 800 workers.

cwoodward
    Participant

The average payment of pound 1.00 quoted above is I believe incorrect.
    As is your supposed quote from the ‘chancellor’ who ever that may be

What please is your source ‘DannyBoy’?

DannyBoy
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207014]

GB News. I will try and post you the Youtube link later but you should be able to find it quickly as it was only from a couple of days ago.

cwoodward
    Participant

With all respect
    If from GB news please don’t bother.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207022]

Same was reported on BBC, Sky, ITN and several media outlets (it refers to £1.80 an hour).

Are these acceptable sources to you?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60821266

https://news.sky.com/story/p-o-ferries-sackings-replacing-workers-with-1-80-an-hour-agency-staff-illegal-says-tuc-head-frances-ogrady-12572552

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I suggest that you read ‘DannBoys’ email prior to firing off a have cocked reply. In doing so you will see that he mentions Pounds 1.00 as the wage not the I.80 pounds that you appear to be referring to.
    Perhaps you would agree that the difference is very substantial.

DannyBoy
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207028]

Be it £1 or £1.80, we can certainly agree it’s not an acceptable rate.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207028]

No more sarcastic than your point about DannyBoy’s sources, no. Your point about GB News was clearly intended to undermine the credibility of his comment, so I have simply assisted by providing sources more suitable.

And whether it is £1 or £1.80 is inconsequential as it is an order of magnitude from the National Living Wage of £9.50 effective 1st April. That would be the main observation.

Unless of course your real point here is that because it is Philopena (do you mean Filipino?) or Bangladeshi nationals it is somehow acceptable?

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

DannyBoy the confirmed pay rate per hour for the new crew is nether 1 pound or1.80 pounds per hour.
    It is above pounds 5.50 per hour and the new model not only ensures the viability of the business and its 3000 employees. The model is in line with that of P&O’s competitors and their operating models and pay rates and to international industry norms.
    The former employees are being generiously compensated to the tune of in some cases Pounds 100K and even workers that have been employed for a month or less will receive 10,000 pounds minimum.
    I fail to understand what all of the fuss is about. The unions who have priced the members out of a job should be the ones taken to task here in my opinion not a company absorbing huge costs in order to save a business and the UK jobs of over 2000 (mostly UK based employees).

cwoodward
    Participant

SimonS1 thank you for your clear if almost totally factually incorrect response to my post. I stand firmly behind all of my posts on this subject which have been proved largely accurate as has my description of the race of the crew mentioned.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1207110]I fail to understand what all of the fuss is about. The unions who have priced the members out of a job should be the ones taken to task here in my opinion not a company absorbing huge costs in order to save a business and the UK jobs of over 2000 (mostly UK based employees).[/quote]

Well the CEO of P&O Ferries has admitted in Parliament today the company deliberately broke the law. Would that not be an indication to you of what the fuss is all about? Why would the CEO be brought before the Select Committee within a week if breaking the law was normal business practice? If your business model was unsustainable would you not instigate a discussion with the unions as opposed to just ignoring them and then firing the staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60862933

[quote quote=1207111]SimonS1 thank you for your clear if almost totally factually incorrect response to my post. I stand firmly behind all of my posts on this subject which have been proved largely accurate as has my description of the race of the crew mentioned[/quote]

No, I simply provided some alternative sources after your rather clumsy attempt to demean and undermine another poster. And you didn’t answer my question, which was “unless of course your real point here is that because it is Philopena (do you mean Filipino?) or Bangladeshi nationals it is somehow acceptable?”. Just so we are all clear – do you think what has happened with the replacement of employees with foreign labour on less than the National Minimum Wage is acceptable?

5 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Clumsy demeaning ! strong words indeed and a totally unfounded accusation irrespective of the fact that the original posters information was based on the nonsense spouted by the UK media.

Who’s national minimum wage please?

To answer your last point I reiterate my point that these workers would be very happy with the internationally level of compensation being offered.

From your response it seems to me that you would rather 3000 UK workers lost there jobs than agree that the action taken by P&O was the only possible way forward. Or you would perhaps prefer that the company was nationalised and be a huge burden on the taxpayer until having the taxpayer untold millions it finally folds . I derive that impression from your and several other knee -jerk ‘save the workers at all cost’ posts here.

To answer your question I would as with the vast majority of the UK population steer well clear of failing UK unions and the harm that they do to their members and to the UK economy and UK business in general.

I know a little about international business having started and run and own a real business in a real world with over 3000 employees in 4 continents and understand well that hard decisions for the greater good of the majority of our employees and the survival of the business and jobs need to be made from time to time.
    Do you run a large business ? or would you rather spout ideological fluff from the side-lines that assists no one and costs UK jobs.

Its a rhetorical question as this thread as become totally political and is in my view now out of place on this forum.

BTW I have taken no salary from the business for 6 years have given half of the share holding to our employees and 10% of our net every year goes to support the real needy.

Montysaurus
    Participant

As the Scouser said “calm down”.

stevescoots
    Participant

The whys and wherefores can be discussed ad nauseum, but simple fact admitted by them is they broke the law, they sacked employees without going into consultation as they made calculation that any sanction by govt or brand damage would be a lower cost than the drawn-out process to reach the same conclusion, to sack the higher paid staff. I personally hope that the authorities throw such heavy penalties at them that it does not make it worthwhile to the company. A 28-day consultation with the Union, and then sacked them would have avoided whats going to be much higher damage

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Looks like things are warming up – most P&O vessels firmly stuck in docks, competitors rubbing their hands with glee, new legislation on the way to ensure the UK minimum wage is applied and one of those rare occasions where the government and the unions are aligned.

Could make for an interesting week.

[quote quote=1207149]I know a little about international business having started and run and own a real business in a real world with over 3000 employees in 4 continents and understand well that hard decisions for the greater good of the majority of our employees and the survival of the business and jobs need to be made from time to time.[/quote]

Let’s hope your business is not as spectacularly inept as P&O then….

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls