M1 motorway out of London

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Is it not possible to blame BASSA or Willy Walsh for the roadworks? I need a scapegoat.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The A!M isn’t always an “uncomfortable option” if starting your jouney from the East of the capital.

You simply take the M11 north then the A14 then the A1M/A1 then link with the A57 in Nottinghamshire to reach the M1 south of Sheffield.

Yes, it is slightly longer but then you avoid the long roadworks on both that southern stretch of the M1 and the northern section of the M25.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just arrived in Leeds, not a bad journey through the roadworks, at least everything was moving.

I still don’t understand why this work is taking so long. There were a few more workers visible, but the emphasis on ‘few’. Most appeared to be watching what was going on………………….. (or not) !!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

At least you do not have to wait for bags 🙂 There is always a bright side…

spiv2001
    Participant

Wots a person with a white stick doing driving a car, MartynSinclair stated there are no ‘ residential house or building ‘ along the 15 miles of road works on M1 there are only about 60 homes near J11 + a school .

Perhaps he was not able to look over the sound fence while driving.

Ps forgot to add a hosptial

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Spiv2001, the man with a white stick apologizes unreservedly. Will the forum please accept that I made an error here and I will rephrase the statement to imply that:

there are no residential houses or buildings along 14 1/2 miles of the M1, not 15.

I will be travelling north and south on the M1 on Thursday & Sunday to Sheffield so will be interesting to see what progress has been achieved in the few weeks that I have been away.

Tim2soza
    Participant

The approach roads to Luton have improved dramatically following a re-routing of car traffic at the airport, which has removed the figure of 8 bottleneck.

For those who know LTN, I managed to get from the bottom of the hill, into the airport, drop my charge off, and get to J10A of the M1 in 15 minutes. Quite a change. This was done at 7:50am on a Monday morning.

If you are coming into the airport from the North, use the A6 from Bedford not the M1 because of the continuing roadworks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Used the M1 last Sunday to go to Sheffield for the afternoon. Hit the roadworks north bound at 1pm and counted all of 6 people on the entire stretch working. I saw what I can only presume to be the workers camp site by junction 13, I just cant get my head around the fact that 6 people were working on a 15 mile stretch of roadworks. I know its only a couple of weeks to go until Xmas, but the world doesn’t stop (or maybe it does).

Coming southbound a few hours later, there was an accident by Milton Keynes, so I turned off at 15, took the 412 to the A1.

Just a bit of useless information, the mileage from M1 junction15 to the bottom of the A1 at Mill Hill which geographically is more or less the same as Junction 4 of M1 is 99 miles and took only 20 minutes longer than using the M1.

A good alternative southbound route.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Left London today at 1pm to Sheffield on the M1 and back again around 6 pm.

The roadworks whilst far from being completed, are a big improvement and even saw people working on Mothering Sunday and in light rain.

The traffic flow was good both ways and I am sure the length of the roadworks has reduced.

I will also admit to feeling the benefits of the works coming southbound in heavy traffic. The extra width certainly helps. Would be interested to hear how the Friday evening rush hour is leaving London on the M1.

Hebburnbhoy
    Participant

I drove from North East to Luton and back last Wednesday, and the disruption wasn’t too bad.

Although I do think that the lack of workers actually working is disgusting. They should minimise the disruption by focussing on the job 5 miles at a time, reducing the affected area.

The only time you ever see an adequate level of staff actually working on the road is a Sunday – when they all put in for overtime at sunday pay rates!

In saying that, simple maths tells you that by lowering your speed from 70 mph to 50 mph over a 15 mile distance will only add 5 mins to your journey.

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn, glad you had good journey. Let’s hope the Spanish don’t buy the M1 or we will see service areas with shops all along the hard shoulder.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Again the M1 was good tonight through the road works – back to London tomorrow and then again up to Sheffield on Monday. Thankfully it is not a toll road just yet!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just been to Sheffield and back to watch a dismal FA Cup 3rd Round tie, Sheffield Weds v M K Dons. 0-0 to those who are interested.

There was 1 winner though, the M1 was in perfect working order. No road works. 2 hours 15 going north and 2 hours 10 coming back south.

FANTASTIC!

Bucksnet
    Participant

The roadworks for the improvements had to finish one day.

Tim2soza
    Participant

M1 J10A – J13 roadworks are finished. (Luton to Milton Keynes) The only problem now is the variable speed limits seem to change at every gantry. Hard shoulder running when implemented seems to be on/off causing lots of 4 lanes into 3 fun, only to open back up into fours lanes a mile or two further along. Traffic cameras have also bred like rabbits on this stretch too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls