M1 motorway out of London

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Rich, thats interesting. As VK says that H&S and other risk adversments are some of the reasons that things take longer.

Another is that roadworks and particulary works associated with development are included in the planning process. One development that occurred a few years ago locally was that because the residents didn’t want work being done to annoy them the planning consent was that work could only be done between 0900 and 1730. When they complained and asked why it was taking longer and causing congestion the reply was simple, if they had been allowed to start at 0700 and work through to 1900 it would have been done quicker!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Again I have just suffered the M1 north and southbound through the roadworks.

The stretch currently being worked on is 15 miles and is I assume continual widening.

I now play the “count the workers” game. Northbound this morning 24, with more people standing with their hands behind their backs, they must be the managers and southbound, mid afternoon 28, which again included many just standing around.

I hear the cries of “Health and Safety” – they must be so severe cos its stopping nearly all work.

I simply do not accept that its at all acceptable that a 15 mile stretch of roadworks on a primary motorway system has so few people working. Please do not quote health and safety, its simply BOLLO**S! If it was that dangerous, the work would not be allowed.

If its the budgets that are causing this slow speed, then what is the sense of actually starting the work.

If there are no residential houses within the stretch of motorway where the works are “happening”, exactly what is the issue of working 24/7??

We have the unemployed……………………or so I thought.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, twice in one week, this seems like self flagellation to me 😉 How about using the A5 from Luton and rejoining the M1 near Northampton or at the Watfird Gap?

I know these things are so frustrating and there is so little we can do (apart from blowing a fuse) that I now seek alternatives rather than getting annoyed. The extra time spent in the A5 will be compensated by the time you would have lost sitting in the traffic. Additional benefits are cheaper petrol and nicer (and probably cheaper) rest stops.

I know other posters advocate the train, but sometimes the train doesn’t suit and the car really is the easier and more comfortable option.

Good luck with it.

robsmith100
    Participant

Martyn, instead of driving up the M1, why dont you fly into MAN from LHR and rent a car? I know its not the most cost effective method but will be less stressfull.

Tim2soza
    Participant

These works have been reduced from a 4 lane widening project from J10 to J13 to a hard shoulder lane for peak hours. Works are due to be completed 2013. This is the last stretch of widening in the immediate area. The M1 widening from the M25 to J10 Luton, plus the dual carriageway from J10a to LTN are all done.

If you are driving to LTN allow 45 mins extra if you are aiming for one of those early morning flights. The traffic round the terminal building is terrible.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Martyn, it sounds like you live south east of Watford. Have you thought about getting the train from Hendon, Mill Hill or Borehamwood, whichever is best for you? You can take a thameslink train north and change at Luton Airport for the midland mainline train to Leeds/Sheffield. It would help if more trains stopped at the airport parkway station, but the connections are there.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks all, I have no choice at the moment as mentioned towrds the top of the thread.

The frustration is more about the lack of work and workers, not about the works themselves. Top end of the motorway there were similar works which finished about 18 months, these also took around 4 years.

The main point of my post was to see if there was a rational or logical explantion why 15 miles of road has been coned off and there are hardly anyone actually working.

This is Britain I suppose………………………………

Bloody M1!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I went to Berne for a reception yesterday and on the motorway (which is a main road linking France and Germany to Switzerland an on to Italy and France via Geneva), around 6 pm there was a 15 minute holdup caused by an accident between two cars (no-one hurt) which also damaged a stretch of the central barrier and damaged slightly the road.

On my return at 11pm I saw bright lights and a team of about 15 people repairing the road and the barrier. Traffic was down to one lane but at that time the traffic is very light. No disruption for the morning commuters as a result.

I was impressed and thought you might like to know. I’m not rubbing salt into the wounds. Honestly 😉

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Whatever happened to the much vaunted ‘Cones Hotline’…?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Morning LuganoPirate, I trust your reception in Berne was enjoyable.

To be fair to the Highways Agency, they are pretty quick as well to repair the roads and central barriers straight after an accident.

I think one of the problems we are facing on the 15 mile stretch of the M1are the sheer numbers of contractors & sub contractors undertaking the work. Looking at the name plates and logos of the various machines, equipment, safety clothing etc etc makes you wonder if there is one company managing the whole project.
    or if the work is being undertaken by a colony of ants, without a leader!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I sympathise. I arrived back from a trip early on Saturday morning and drove around the M25 with its road works, then joined the M1 northbound and was still in the roadworks as I left the motorway at junction 13. No cars at 0600 obviously, but a slow journey.

Eight hours later repeated the journey in reverse, this time to visit friends in South West London – same roadworks + traffic = horrendous.

Return journey at 0700 the following morning (Sunday), avoided the M25, took the North Circular, but again, the M1 had 15 miles of roadworks.

Having just returned from a six-day trip to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, I have to say, the book I’m reading

“That used to be us – How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back”

http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/bookshelf/that-used-to-be-us

needed only “The West” substituted for “America”… and though LHR is improved, seeing the airports of Beijing, Shanghai (both Pudong and Hongqia) and Hong Kong, I have to say, we had all better get used to a new age.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Admin – When you have finished the Friedman and Mandelbaum book,
    read “When China Rules the World” Martin Jacques 2009

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=when+china+rules+the+world&sprefix=when+china+

an insightful excellent read and salutory study on what is in store for our next generation.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Will do – we have a new section so I’ll see if we can add it to that

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tags/Book+reviews

stevescoots
    Participant

For sheffield and leeds you could take the A1M

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Steve, the A1M is an “uncomfortable” option. The other choice is M40 with a cut across around Coventry back onto the M1. I tend to use that if I know there is a blockage on the M1.

I was going to add that the positive is that at least the works are keeping people employed, but I think I will avoid that comment!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls