Lug Loc tracks your luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Not as excited now as when I first read T D C’s opener.

So if your bag get lost, you call a number in Montevideo and on the basis you can get through you will be told where your bag is.

Obviously does not work in the air – would have far prefered to have user/owner control – i.e. I can track my bag through without the need of going through a third party company.

The other question is once the bag has ben located, do lug-loc have an agreement with the airlines to retrieve bag.

Seems to me to be a new toy.

Bucksnet
    Participant

GPS receivers need to lock on to at least 4 satellites to get a fix. A device requires a way of transmitting its location, which it cannot do via GPS, so can do so via a cellular phone network.

Having looked at the website, it seems that LugLoc does not use GPS at all. It must detect its location from using the phone network alone.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This appears to be no different from leaving a currently available gizmo switched on inside your bag with sufficient power to last the journey.

Also, pray it doesnt get nicked!

Mrs S and I had great fun last summer following our son on his first overseas school trip using his ipod + mobile me.

fastphil
    Participant

2 FAQs conveniently missing from the list:
    1. When turned on, how long does the battery last ?
    2. Have airlines agreed to allow bags to be checked in with Lug Loc turned on ?
    IMHO airlines usually know exactly where misrouted bags are before the owner tries to retrieve them.
    Presumably a thief stealing a bag would simply turn Lug Loc off ?

RichHI1
    Participant

Two observations now there is some detail.
    1) IS this device authorized by FAA / CAA regulations as it uses cellular technology on aircraft?
    2) A Uruguayan company selling a device developed by Argentinian and Israeli scientists to track the movements of your bags. Presumably this will give Lug Loc and anyone they sell data to, a complete history of your travels?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

How would the lug loc compare against a cheap second hand, fully charged smart phone (with active sim) left on and with a “mobile me” or similar tracking programme?

The theory of the lug loc sounds excellent, but it seems to have less value if the owner of the lug loc cant track the case on their own computer.

As the 12.24 post says, “airlines usually know exactly where misrouted bags are before the owner tries to retrieve them”

Miklos39
    Participant

you can pre order at http://www.lugloc.com

Miklos39
    Participant

LUGLOC is a patented device that turns off when in motion or under minimum vibration. Therefore the unit is OFF when passing through security screening at airports or on airplanes. LUGLOC turns automatically ON when it stands still for more than 12 minutes.

Miklos39
    Participant

LugLoc can be preordered in http://www.lugloc.com
    Delivery is scheduled for June 1,2012

RichHI1
    Participant

Miklos39 does one infer you are acting on behalf of this concern?

Miklos39
    Participant

The main problem is that airlines usually dont’ know where is the lost baggage. They have to rely on other airlines to report the founding of an unnatended bag. This process takes usually 48 to 72 hours. Lugloc can track the luggage worldwide in 45 seconds. The service includes the assistance and supervision of the return of the lost luggage to its owner at his hotel or home.

Miklos39
    Participant

YES. What can I do for you?

Miklos39
    Participant

GPS dont’ get signal inside buildings or containers. Lugloc utilises GSM technology. To avoid interference in the avionics of a plane, it turns OFF automatically when in motion or under a vibration. It turns automatically ON when the units is in stil position for more than 12 minutes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So now we have the answer and an understanding from, Miklos39.

For the sake of $40, I think this may be worth it.

The major flaw in this product is that you only know where the case if it has been standing still for at least 12 minutes. So if I arrive minus case and the case happens to be somewhere in midair, you will still be non the wiser for up to 12 hours.

On the plus side, however, if it has been standing still for 12 minutes, then you will quickly know where it is…………on the basis that the phone is picked where ever it is you have to dial.

RichHI1
    Participant

I am interested in Data Protection and security. What guarantee is there that the travel movements of high profile business people etc cannot end up in the wrong hands?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls