Lufthansa operates A380 to Bangkok this winter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some months ago when I reported that our own British Airways was continuing with the suspension of its Bangkok (passenger) route there were many reader comments.

Some of you were so disappointed by BA’s lack of ambition regarding passenger service to Thailand.

Today comes news that, in total contrast to BA, Lufthansa will be deploying its A380 to Bangkok from October 29 to meet demand.

(It also demonstrates how fickle aviation can be. Previously Lufthansa would say Bangkok was mainly leisure and it wouldn’t deploy its flagship A380 on this route)

Lufthansa to operate A380 on Munich-Bangkok route

1 user thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

Just tried a dummy booking for December returning February, for F travel the fare is very competitive, a little more than Eva are charging for Business.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

And where is the BA flights to BKK.

The myopic BA managers in 2020 got rid of all the 747’s, and now are clueless to be able to fly many of the old routes. Where is Kuala Lumpur ans Seoul for example, routes I used a lot

Cheeryguy
    Participant

BKK didn’t make much money if any for BA, hence it’s not returning any time soon.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1358740]And where is the BA flights to BKK.

The myopic BA managers in 2020 got rid of all the 747’s, and now are clueless to be able to fly many of the old routes. Where is Kuala Lumpur ans Seoul for example, routes I used a lot[/quote]

BA does operate cargo flights to BKK but not, as I noted above, any passenger flights.

As for LHR-ICN I cannot see BA restarting Seoul anytime soon seeing as there’s now a KE/VS code-share and at some stage VS will be operating that route itself.

But I am surprised BA has not yet resumed passenger flights to BKK. Maybe there will be some positive news later this year.

Yes I realise BKK is low-yield but then Lufthansa will be deploying its A380 there in the winter.

Tramor01
    Participant

I’ve been told that Scandinavian will be flying from CPH to Bangkok three times a week from October 30th – The will be using A350s

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1358873]I’ve been told that Scandinavian will be flying from CPH to Bangkok three times a week from October 30th – The will be using A350s[/quote]

Indeed. BTUK reported the news yesterday.

There will also be Norse operating OSL-BKK this winter.

I wouldn’t imagine readers would be happy with Norse’s Y seating on such a long flight but this airline offers its version of premium economy as well.

cwoodward
    Participant

A lot of new seats into Bangkok this coming winter and also into Phuket.
    To many perhaps ?
    Also a lot more seats out of Hong Kong but at present all full.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So I wonder what makes BA’s passenger operation to BKK uneconomical or is it simply down to the fact they are short staffed. It just seems odd, especially as most hotels in BKK appear to be back to high occupancy, Brits remain travel crazy – but I guess few Europeans wish to transit London in order to go to the Far East.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree with you Martyn, but Brits do not mind flying via European gateways, especially those from out of London.

BPP
    Participant

Presumably the same dreadfull ‘J’ seat and food as on the A350-900 (I reported on Dec 22) It would have to very cheap indeed to get me back into one!
    The only benefit I can see is that an increase in overall capacity may bring the prices down somewhat from the current silly levels.

cwoodward
    Participant

In fact LP it seems that most prefer it these days…..

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have just been checking fares ex LCY/LHR to Bangkok, Aug or Sept 23.
    Most Airlines are asking £3,500+ for a return Business fare, from London, double that of pre-Covid!

Checking fares from Amsterdam on Swiss or LH to BKK the fares are £1,945 return. Including the A380!
    Same Airlines almost half the price, and in fact 1st class ex Amsterdam for less than Biz from London.
    Booked on LH or Swiss Directly.

I am V happy to fly to Amsterdam and connect, or have a few days stopover, saving Up to £1,550!!!

Swiss flights last year were completely full on Great 773 ER’s – with all 4 classes Out of Zurich and back.
    On return, Swiss, LH, and Austrian, all had flights to Europe late eve within an hr, all full.
    Also Thai Airways to cities around Europe.

KLM and AF have eve flight ex Europe, and lunchtime day flights to return. Again, Always full!
    I had a wonderful Swiss flight in one of the “Throne” single seats each way also, as good as First Seats. As Gold In Star Alliance, i did not pay an extra fee.

If BA were charging the same fares, how on earth can they make a loss when other Airlines are selling full flights, and making good profits?

Who minds a hop to LCY after, to arrive home NOT via LHR, (and saving the £601 paid to the Government from the UK in Departure tax), and many hours in Extra time and travel costs?!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@MarcusGB – I would only involve a Europe stopover if it were on the same ticket (PNR). Same day ex-Europe tickets, using separate tickets is currently way too risky in case of missed connections.

I am fortunate that my amazing TC has not yet created a ticket in excess of £3,100 for UK – BKK in Business, but he does create some interesting routings. I am Oneworld though not Star..

Thank you Tom Fitzgerald…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Oops, sorry can’t edit… thanks Tim Fitzgerald 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls