Lost on a plane

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I will never forget a nightmare I had on a flight to Manila. I *know* I had my passport when I got on the plane, because they checked it at the gate. When I got off the plane and was walking to immigration I realised – no passport. I asked the ground crew to check the plane – no luck. Immigration refused to talk to me (without a passport, I didn’t exist), CX couldn’t help me other than to give me the number for the British Embassy. Finally I know where some of the FCO’s money goes – they couldn’t have been more helpful. They got me an interview with immigration – fortunately I had a meeting with the Assistant Secretary at the Department of Finance and I had arrived early enough that we were able to call them and confirm, so given that I had a meeting with the equivalent of the number 2 to the Chanceller of the Exchequer they eventually let me in (after I surrendered my HK ID card as “security” and promised to get a new passport before leaving). That night I got passport photos, the next day the embassy opened early specially for me so I was able to go there and fill in all the forms before my first meeting, and by the time I got back to my hotel in the early evening the embassy had issued the passport; and CX had collected it, taken it to the airport and had an immigration stamp put in it, and delivered it to my hotel. Quite outstanding.

The passport eventually turned up three or four months later and was handed in at the consulate in Hong Kong. I can only imagine that it had fallen down the side of the cushions into the inside workings of the seat, and was found during a maintenance check – though I will probably never be sure!

Sunshine
    Participant

I surprisingly left an iPad on a BA flight to Barclona once (and this was only about a month after the iPad was released in the US) and i got it back.

It was a pain going through the lost property system (as I was pushed from BA, to BCN airport, to baggage handling, to the cleaning services), but eventually I got it- a quick trip back to BCN airport the following day and it was handed to me as good as new.

I was totally shocked

cpmoffett
    Participant

I once left a newly made tuxedo on a flight from Mauritius to Perth. It went onto Melbourne and was handed back to me at the airport lost and found on the return leg a couple of days later. Very impressed.

Cantona07
    Participant

I have just (today) returned from a quick round trip to with British Airways Dallas FW, on my outward journey I was sat in seat 62A (my fav) and placed into the bin next to my seat two bottles of Cointrea for my wife.

On leaving the plane I managed to completely forget them and head to immigration and baggage as usual, only to remember during the (2hr) line at immigration I had left them, I did not fancy the hike back to the plane just for two bottles of spirits and ‘wrote them off’

At the baggage desc what was sitting on the top of the counter – my two bottles of Cointreau!

I have to say I was totally flabbergasted and left a US$20 tip for the member of the cleaning staff that found them.

RichHI1
    Participant

Cleared immigration at LAX and went to call Limo when I realized I left my cellphone in the overhead bin on my AA flight from London. I suddenly saw one of the flight attendants from my flight coming through customs, so I went up to her and explained my predicament. She and a colleague told me to wait by the baggage carousel and they would get an agent for me. I waited 10 minutes and bags started to come through. I was thinking well there goes my phone when suddenly the two flight attendants reappeared with my cellphone. they had got permission from immigration gone all the way back to the plane and had Security retrieve it from the ovehead bin. They were also embarrassed when I thanked them profusely and tried to tip them. They said it was just part of the job, so all I could do was give them the Employee thank you certificates AA sends to EXP’s to give out for good service.. Not making it up, really happened, 4 years ago and never forget it. Perhaps that is why I am sympathetic when they get problem passengers and try not to be one.

Manyatta
    Participant

Left my glasses in a seat pocket and when I phoned the next day they were in Virgin’s lost property. The lady said I was incredibly lucky and it being a UC seat probably helped!
    Also, I was so late for a VS flight to SFO (still in a packed Fast track with 5 minutes until the departure time) I left my wallet with the x-ray chaps. On return one week later the wallet was in LHR’s Lost Property with $100 missing. Gosh, how strange, it must have fallen out!

stevemac
    Participant

Travelling to BKK on Oman Air I left my camera in a storage area next to the seat in business and did not realise until at the hotel. Staff at The Banyan Tree called Oman Air and the next day it was dropped off at the Hotel. Very impressed and suprised to get it back!

Another occasion about 17 years ago (and in another life) I was a Purser on BA and we had just got on ther crew bus at JFK for the 4 beers ride to the hotel when there was a scream as one of the girls realised she had left her brand new engagement ring on the aircraft!! Basically we rushed back on board (it was possible then) and got on the catering truck and found it in a CW wine glass where she had been cleaning it in vodka?!!! Needless to say she was very happy and it really was the proverbial needle in the haystack.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cantona07 – only the 2 hours at DFW, you were indeed lucky!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve been press-ganged by Mrs. LP into accompanying her parents from Zurich to JNB this November, as they’ve never flown before.

I wonder if I can lose them on the plane?

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn, next time just pretend you are on the M1 outside Luton 🙂

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

LuganoPirate: You do have a GREAT sense of humour!!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

Lugano from my experience I would suggest you try to send them as checked baggage on KLM through AMS. My bags normally go missing whenever I connect there (at least for 2-3 days… 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Please Rich, be resepctful to your mother in law.

Lugano, if that is your hope and intention, any chance you could take my mother in law and lose here at the same time??

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Now now Gentlemen! Some great ideas here, but what if they are found again? Will the grief we get be worth it?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

LOST IN TRANSPORTATION – They will gang up together and give you all a good beating!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls