Long haul Business Class on european carriers.

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for your comments EasternPedlar.

However I just wanted to point out that not all Lufthansa’s A350s have that 1-2-1 layout for business class.

Lufthansa’s official configuration for the A350 is 2-2-2.

But as I noted previously Lufthansa acquired four A350s from Philippine Airlines (PAL). These are based in Munich and operate routes such as the one you took.

The Air India A350s are a cancelled Aeroflot order.

The 1-2-1 layout will remain. Air India will make some modest changes to the cabin interior (as did Lufthansa will those PAL A350s).

See this link to a piece we published last February.

What will Air India’s huge fleet order mean for travellers?

1 user thanked author for this post.

michaelkelly
    Participant

“Air France – All long haul aircraft on transatlantic routes feature direct aisle access. Great food, service hit and miss”
    Actually not true., In February I flew CDG to MIA with Air France on a B777. Seating was the appalling 2-2-2

Service was slow , food was just Ok ..

Rferguson2
    Participant

@ michaelkelly

Oh no, the dreaded ‘NEV4’ configuration. Which is actually worse than the 2x2x2 you state – it is actually 2x3x2.

Saying that, you were pretty unlucky. AF has 61 777’s in its fleet and only 10 are still remaining without direct aisle access.

These aircraft are never ‘planned’ on transatlantic routes and are primarily rostered BKK, ICN, MRU, BOM, SGN and JIB. Saying that, if there is disruption etc they can pop up on other routes.

You still have a much less likelihood of being stung on AF than on say KL whom has 54 longhaul aircraft of which 23 have the new seat or BA whom have 123 long haul aircraft 71 of which are fitted with the Club Suite.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

@Rferguson2

Many thanks for the info. You say that BA have 123 long haul aircraft 71 of which are fitted with the Club Suite. I guess that includes the A350 & 380 and the 777s and 787s? My understanding is that all of the 350s are fitted with club suites. Is it mainly the old 777s (especially Gatwick based) which are still using the old config. Is that broadly the case? Any advice welcome as I can now choose between LHR and LGW from Accra.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Talking about meal / service times, I always find AA serve F&B much quicker than BA. (And by the sounds of it other European carriers in J).
    I quite enjoy a leisurely meal service on westbound flights but on the shorter (in time) eastbound flights I prefer AA, where everything is served much quicker.

In terms of new J seats v old, a thumbs up from me re: BA A380 upper deck window seats. Yes, it’s the old J seat, but with the side storage it feels much more spacious, plus they are quieter compared to most other aircraft.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@DavidSmith2

I am happy to be corrected but my understanding is that all A350s and all 787-10s came factory fitted with the new Club Suite. Most 777s out of Heathrow have now been retro-fitted with the Club Suite but none of the 777s operating out of Gatwick (and no mention as to whether they ever will).

I also don’t think that any of the 787-8s, 787-9s or the A380 have the Club Suite. My understanding is the 787s will be retro-fitted in 2024 followed by the A380s in 2025.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Wisely it appears BA is leaving the A380 refit until last (just in case there’s another downturn).

One disadvantage of the A380 is the cost of the C check (conducted every six years) which BA’s A380s will be needing at some stage.

In that interview blogger Sam Chui conducted with Al Baker of Qatar Airways the CEO said the cost of the C Check was three times higher than for the 777 or A350.

Etihad is returning as many as five A380s to service.

Flightradar24 has today posted a YouTube of what an Etihad A380 C Check involves.

It’s really complex. No wonder the A380 has higher operating costs.

michaelkelly
    Participant

Thank you “Rferguson2” for pointing out that my Air France TA flight was in fact 2-3-2 seating

I hadn’t noticed, as when I sat down in my window seat, the lady beside me reclined fully after take off and believe it or not, stayed reclined for the whole journey. It was impossible to get over her, as the outside of here seat moves forward on recline, thus making stepping over impossible. I was lucky I did not have to use the bathroom

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Truly, you are bladder-blessed…..

Tramor01
    Participant

I flew Munich to BKK on Lufthansa’s A350 two weeks ago
    Unfortunately I suffered the old 2-2-2 business class configuration where you end out playing footsie with your neighbour
    The cabin itself was fairly tatty and was well passed it’s sell by date.
    Don’t get me started on the quality of the catering. A choice of chicken, fish, or polenta. but unfortunately they’d run out of chicken by row three in business

Thank goodness my return leg isn’t on Lufthansa.

FDOS
    Participant

Flew to DXB with KLM and returned with Air France (long sector) and KLM, last week.

Both flights were okay, comfy seats (1-2-1), KLM food not great, AF breakfast excellent.

In the same league as Qatar? Not in my experience, however the ticket cost was nearly 50% of QR and I can do without the bells and whistles for that degree of saving.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I just flew BA LHR-JFK and in part due to this thread, chose AA on the way back (currently in the air). BA 77W on the way out, Club Suite as I understand all LHR/JFK frequencies are, I really like the product, the crew were very good, the flight was full, accessing LHR I tried the Elizabeth Line for the first time, fantastic, LHR was very busy, but no issues, first check in, to lounge, then B gates, all without a fuss. AA coming back, I really like the new setup at Terminal 8, the check-in area is co-branded and feels very premium, I tried the Chelsea and Soho lounges, such an upgrade from when I used to fly this route a lot. AA First coming back to LHR, the seat is so much better than BA’s first, and it’s more spacious than the club suite, a shame AA is phasing it out, the cabin is full, and the crew, very warm, I only had breakfast, which was so so. Landing into what looks like a rainy London for 24 hours before heading home to HKG.

FDOS
    Participant

Interesting to read your comments on AA. I use them to visit my son in Chicago (in W) and find the experience fit for purpose.

As you say, the food is so so, but overall I like it.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

FDOS, I agree, AA gets by, I have to say though they have done a good job improving the premium ground experience particularly at JFK, I was very impressed, the service in F is not stuffy, quite familiar, I like that, some won’t, and I always found the same in J. This latest flight at least would make me consider them again, i quite enjoyed the mix and match on this transatlantic crossing, and I enjoyed my second ride journey, this time into town, on the Elizabeth Line this morning.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls