LHR Capacity

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)

• LeTigre
    Participant

On the contrary famouschicken, direct messaging would just be annoying, can you imagine all the sorts of junk mail you would get and personal insults from certain (mis)users of this forum?

famouschicken
    Participant

Oops, I think we are having this chat on the wrong thread! apologies all – Hengli123 I think that most direct messaging on other fora require that you pre-approve other users on a list of approved ‘direct-messagers’ so to speak. So you can only receive messages if you have okayed the sender.

RogerVictor
    Participant

The idea of an airport in the Thames Estuary is a great idea, a new, purpose bult, airport with the capaciy to deal with the increase in aviation over the next 50 years. So sensible.

Airports are not the only issue though. AIrcraft move at 550mph and the start of descent and the airspace they move through, during this descent, is a long way away from the said airport. The UK would need to rely on, or even take control of, Dutch, French, German and other european countries airspace. The airspace design in the south east is set up for HEATHROW being the main junction. The redesign of that would be a phenomenal undertaking. Not impossible, but big. If you want capacity – build it at Heathrow. A second runway at Gatwick would just pump out more traffic into a system still designed around Heathrow.

A third runway is needed NOW. The idea of using parallel runways to increase flights if farcical. The way it works just doesn’t lend to a meaningful increase in flights. It will relieve congestion but REAL growth will not come from stuffing more flights into a crowded system. When Heathrow slows down due to a lost runway, fog, stong winds, snow etc, it stuggles to cope. To increase the number of flights it then has to deal with will just extend delays.

To my understanding the 3rd runway is kiboshed due to environmental grounds. This isn’t a bad reason. Why should we be able to fly to paris for £80. It has no reflection of the damage it does (global warming naysayers draw your swords)

craigwatson
    Participant

Rubbish Roger. An airport in the Thames isnt going to be that far from Heathrow in straight mileage. No big change to the way aircraft movements work now.

RogerVictor
    Participant

CraigWatson what is your background on this? I don’t want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs in a reply if you have an air traffic background

RichHI1
    Participant

Craig would a field in the Thames Estuary cause resiting of Biggin or Bovingdon/Lambourne/Ockham? What about separation from Biggin Hill and Southend traffic?

RogerVictor
    Participant

Imagine an area where 3/4 major motorways meet. Let’s say the M25 between the M3 and M4. Aircraft fly along motorways in the sky. Imagine moving all the traffic from the M25 and M4 and M3 and putting it onto the A30. Without expanding or redesigning the A30, but giving them a bloody great big service station instead.

Not gonna work

craigwatson
    Participant

Roger – I am a pilot

Rich – there would have to be ALOT of changes to airspace, I was more implying that there wouldnt be alot of interference with other european airspace.

RichHI1
    Participant

Understood Craig, thanks

RogerVictor
    Participant

To be fair, that doesn’t give you a huge insight into the intricacies of the LTMA and how it works.

If you want more traffic, expand Heathrow. If you don’t, then don’t. It’s actually a reasonable decision if that’s what you’re after

craigwatson
    Participant

in your example roger, nobody is saying dont redesign the A30, of course it will have to be redesigned.

Binman62
    Participant

Bump……… VK still has not answered BB’s question.
    I for one on the edge of my set.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Am far more interested in the Craig & Roger disucssion than to worry about BB bashing VK with her handbag……….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Agreed. In the meantime, the problem with a 3rd runway is a 4th will then soon be needed and so on. Where is the space for that coming from?

Incidentally, I “discovered” Lydd airport a few weeks ago. They have big plans but as usual the NIMBY’s are against them. This could help relieve pressure on LHW and LHR as well as helping to develop the region rather like LCY has done.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I understand where Roger Victor is coming from, from an ATC perpsective.

On the other hand, maybe Europe needs to think on a larger scale?

RV, I am not an ATC guy, but one of my clients is a large European agency in the airspace control business 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls