Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

I’ve been a staunch LH fan for about a decade, but I am not sure if I agree that all of the latest moves are particularly “Customer centric”. Whilst LH F looks excellent, the new C does not look like it is industry leading. The area for your feet look tight at best, and the table rather flimsy. However, I will not pass any judgement until I’ve sampled it for myself.

The combination of changes to Miles & More (reduction for “Z” fares) and slow investment in average C class makes me wonder what LH is trying to achieve. I suspect, few if any carriers will continue to fit north of 90 seats in a long-haul aircraft:
    A380: 99
    B747-8i: 92 (I believe)

I’ve slowly moved my preference to the daughter Swiss

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

RichHI1, I’m not sure that in itself the 748i will interest passengers.

It’s the on board product that sells the airline, not the planes they fly. For the majority of passengers these days who are of course in Y, I suspect that the IFE is the biggest draw and of course ICE, Krisworld and Studio CX are the leaders and no real surprises that those carriers are popular. After that food and crew influence choice and again, those carriers win in particular SQ where it is almost unknown that a Y passenger does not get their first choice of meal, there are carriers who cannot manage that in F!

Given that these days boarding is almost always by jetty how many people even notice the plane?

RichHI1
    Participant

Krisflyer, I guess in a way I am spoilt. As I had a sports injury to my knees when younger I have a medical condition that requires me to fly business short haul and firat long haul, so for clients they either pay or get someone else. Failing to follow medicalmadvice invalidates medical insurance.
    So I am normally sitting in the pointy end and appreciating how firtunate I am, at least with regard to travel, we will ignore the 400 mg or Ibruprofen 4 times a day.
    So for me the 747 front cabin has a speical place, it is cosy, quiet and first row can look forward. I grewup with 747’s and there is a feeling of solidity which lesser planes do not have.
    You are right for many the plane type per se is Not a factor but the sight of a 747 against a twin engine or a 340 does Inthink resonate.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Rich, agreed, we are not typical travellers though.

I wonder if you were sat in a mid Y cabin E seat flying LH and boarded by a jetty whether you would know if you were on an A380 or a 748i if aviation was of no interest and you were an occasional traveller. I suspect not.

I agree, the 747 was special for me too for a long time but now the A380 has passed the 744 simply because the experience is markedly better in terms of space, atmosphere and noise level.

LeTigre
    Participant

I wish someone would introduce a viewing gallery on their plane, with a glass top or bottom or something. I don’t care what they do but I want to see what’s outside. It would be good even if it was virtual, like a LCD floor or something with info boxes that appear as you go past it, eg. alps or major cities or rivers or sights, etc.

That would be the ultimate IFE!

lloydah
    Participant

I doubt if I’ll live that long – unfortunately- but it would be superb to be able to see from some sort of gallery as LeTigre says. Nearest, I suppose, is the tail cam on the 380. Only experienced that once but was definitely better than the inflight movie menu. I’ll sit and look out of the window for ages rather than the screen, not so good at night though!

Binman62
    Participant

lloydah
    I too love to watch the camera especially take off and landing and got quite cross when QF insisted my screen was put away for landing.
    I am alone however in thinking that the picture qulaity is poor or is that jsut a QF thing?

lloydah
    Participant

No, Binman62 , the picture quality isn’t that good especially compared with the quality of the better screens in some cabins but I put that down to whatever the air quality is like next to the lens up there by the tail. Waiting for the first seagull to stare back at me. ! Or perhaps ET?

CXDiamond
    Participant

Those pictures from the Sydney Morning Herald are lovely, they show the 748i as a really beautiful aircraft, LH’s on board products look good too. I’m interested to know if the C seat compares well with CX C as the design is similar.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls