Leaving BA , as Crew after 30+ Years

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

Thanks for the great report, handbag! I enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot.

Wishing you all the very best for the future.

1nfrequent
    Participant

Just wanted to add my best wishes to you for the future, handbag. I really value your contributions here and look forward to seeing your retired perspective and perhaps hearing more about your other interests.

(Also that is flipping appalling re your 25 year certificate – poor management but also a fundamental lack of human decency on the manager’s part).

1F

No Name
    Participant

First – enjoy your retirement, Handbag. Can confidently predict that after just a few months, you will begin to realise that all the frustrations of the past 30 years will not longer trouble you. I retired 24 years ago, just as grandchildren arrived. I probably spent more time with them growing up, than I did with our own two children – because I now had the time to do so. We also started to travel, as you can too – with what seem to be fairly generous facilities for BA retirees

As a Scot, my favourite airline was B-Cal, but it has been something of a love-hate arrangement travelling with BA since. Tied to BA because the routes offered best suited where we wanted to go. Hated the continuous drop in Business Class standards, and the harsh line BA takes if you fall out of line at any time in your travels. Spent on average £30,000+ per annum but they never gave an inch if we had to make last minute changes. Got heartily sick of the letters pulled of the word processor in reply to any complaint, that never, ever properly addressed the points made in the complaint. Always trying to buy you off with a few air miles.

Why stick with them? (a) The routes BA offers. (b) We like to fly the flag. (c) The crews we flew with – something we always stressed in any surveys we took part in and often mentioned the quality of the crews, to compare with the dreadful quality of those who are supposed to be Customer Service Agents.

BA crews, particularly long-haul, are without doubt the best there are. Rest easy that you were part of that, and have a long and happy retirement.

handbag
    Participant

I will travel more definitely. It will be much easier, not planning around a BA roster and only having to plan when my husband can take time off. It is his own business and he has fairly good flexibility. He is retiring in 3 years. That will be the icing on the cake , there will be no time and limits as to where we can go and for how long.

Regarding staff travel, I will only use for 2 trips a year, as I do now. I would not use it for short haul travelling. I enjoy the certainty of having a confirmed flight, rather than waiting to see if I get on and possibly find a hotel for another night.

When you leave BA, you keep for the amount of years you have been with the Company. From that perspective, I will keep it for a very long time. The disadvantage is, that when you leave, you go to the bottom of the list on staff standby travel, so if someone works for the Company for a year and I have worked over 30 and left, then they would get on before me. I am not complaining or saying this is wrong, but practically, it does not make any sense to go on a short hual flight. I would rather just pay as I do now (or use Avios).

After 20 years service staff are entitled to 2 ABC tickets (you get one after 5 years). These have a higher priority and cheaper than regular standby, as we are only required to pay the tax on an ABC.

Believe it or not, staff are often complaining, due to discounts offered it is sometimes cheaper to buy a full fare rather than a standby to Manchester. The reason that you see so many Cabin Crew in lounges, is that they have achieved Gold status, by buying full fare tickets. Staff on Staff travel are not allowed in, but they can’t do anything about it if they are there in their own right.
    There is also the chance that if you are on an ABC and the flight is not full, then you may be confirmed and if business is available (on the regular standby ticket you do not).
    Most people tend to keep these for long haul flying, as financially it makes sense. Also if you are going to get a comfortable seat, then better to save it for something like an LAX rather than a CDG. I would still be on the list after all serving staff using their ABC, but above standby. Typically on an average day, I could still be 10-15 down the list, so the chance of being confirmed, getting business or getting on the flight is greatly diminished. You have to pick your flights very carefully.

Last month I flew back from MIA and was top of the list due to years served. I still did not get on the flight home and had to book into an airport hotel. I managed to get home the following day. I waited at the gate until the last minute and I got on, but lots of staff were left behind. When I had left LHR, the loads had looked good, but changed dramatically in the 2 weeks I was there. So even for serving staff with maximum priority, it is always a big gamble.

Compared to other airlines BA is not one of the better staff travel schemes. In general they are much cheaper and also tend to confirm you. I recently had a friend who worked for Virgin, who within 6 months had better concessions than I have. They were cheaper flights and if available they were put into Business or First, allowed to use lounge and were also able to take 2 other of our close friends away with them for a weekend. It cost her less to buy a ticket to fly on BA, than it cost me. On regular standby we would never be upgraded, only if using an ABC. Some of the short haul airlines allow you to just purchase a ticket and you are not on standby.

I am definitely not complaining, but just explaining that it is not quite as straight forward, as some think. I am in a fortunate position, that financially I am able to purchase tickets for my travel, rather than using staff travel. Have to admit, that swapping around credit cards to maximise points and using Avios is a real bonus. This site is great for info on that.

handbag
    Participant

p.s. Sorry about some of the spelling, but was typing quickly and went back into change when reread and was too late.

goalie11
    Participant

Hi Handbag, can I also wish you well for the future.

I retired about six years ago after 30 years service in my job, which was very much a front line job but one that I enjoyed immensely, never woke up during that period not wanting to go to work (other than maybe nursing a hangover). In a sense I was lucky in that I had a choice rather than have redundancy or VR forced on me.

I did promise myself that I would do 30 years and then look to see what else the world had to offer and so on the very day of my anniversary I moved to Abu Dhabi for five years and had a ball. Now back home I am doing the sort of things you are planning to do. A bit of work here and there when it suits but generally travelling around the world enjoying myself. At present reading your posts poolside in Brisbane.

What I did find interesting was your two last posts and it struck me that as feedback from an exit interview they are so good and straight from the heart that it should be shared with Walsh, Cruz and all his management cronies and HR to let them see the impact that their strategies are having, not only only passengers but on the staff who are so crucial to the delivery of service to their business.

Sadly, I think they are so far gone and out of touch that they probably wouldn’t understand.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thank you, Handbag. And best of luck for your new life.

As a general comment, the worst WW and Spanish management did to BA is probably cutting the transfer knowledge between experienced crew and newer one. It is really a pity.

openfly
    Participant

Hi Handbag….I think I flew the 707 and the 1-11 with you during our time at BCal! I was an F/o in those days…then followed you into the big world of BA. I loved the early days of BA. But, oh how it has gone downhill.
    Like you, I seldom use staff travel, Frequently, as you say, BA bleed their staff with the fares they charge for sublioad tickets.
    You are so right….full fare or Avios travel works well and as a commercial pax you get treated as a proper pax…good or bad! Also, when things go wrong, you can give “feedback”…by that I mean you can complain and get compensation!! In the last two years I have been given 3 lots of EU261 for awful delays. Yup, build up your Avios and Tier Points is the way to go.
    Good luck from an insider……?‍✈️?

Johnnyg
    Participant

Handbag,,

Thank you for your brilliant response to my question, it has given me a new insight into not only BCAL / BA but also crew and personnel. I too, have recently retired and the knowledge that I am no longer tied to time or appointments is welcome. I hope you enjoy all your future plans. I do find it appalling at the lack of respect that BA show staff after giving sterling service. The BCAL DC 10 is still one of my all time favourite aircraft.

As a footnote when my mother retired she stated that that day was the first of the rest of her life and she would enjoy her life, that was 35 years ago and she is still enjoying life and still holidays on a regular basis. A fine example to all.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

How fascinating and thanks for sharing your story with us Handbag.
    I also fondly remember BCAL, and flew mainly to Dubai and Hong Kong, but I seem to recall also flying to Douala, but maybe I’m wrong on that.

I also remember I was on the very last BCAL flight from Hong Kong back to London via Dubai. I was in F and I can’t remember why, but I was asked which film I’d like to watch. Only one was apparently allowed to be screened. Either I was the only passenger in F or the others were asleep. Certainly no-one was sitting next to me. I couldn’t make up my mind which one of the two I wanted to watch and the Purser said, ok, I’ll show them both – it’s not allowed but what can they do about it!

Fond memories indeed and I wish you all the very best for the future, safe travels and I look forward to your contributions – as always – on the Forum.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Too late to edit, but I was wondering Handbag, you used the term “Air Hostess” saying it is now politically incorrect. But I personally find the term “Flight Attendant” to be demeaning, preferring Steward/ Stewardess/ Hostess – but maybe I’m a 50’s born dinosaur finding keeping up with all the correct terms very difficult!

As a matter of interest, if I may ask, which term do you prefer?
    And could I extend that question to other crew member contributors?

NNoah16
    Participant

Handbag wishing you all the best for the future.

Reading your last post mad me sad.
    It may be the sign of the times but as a customer of BA (23 years Gold Exec) I did not quite realise that it was just as bad for BA crew as it was bad for BA customers…

Fond memories indeed, I wonder what the future holds.

handbag
    Participant

To all of above. Thank you for the kind words.

Up until now I have always tended to answer factually rather than with an opinion; unless it was unrelated to BA. I have always been very mindful of possible repercussion. I am aware of from Crew voicing there opinions on social media platforms in the past and it has been dealt with quite severely by the Company. It is quite liberating to be able to say what I think, rather than just factual answer a question. I have always admired some of the other Crew on hear for their confidence in expressing an opinion on BA. Now that I am leaving I am not worried about the consequences.

goalie11
    We have a work Forum called Yammer. Many Crew and staff from other departments make it very clear how they feel on a daily basis, whether it is good or bad. The Company is very aware of what is going on and how people feel.

Swissdiver
    Totally agree.
    The mix of both age and experience and youth and enthusiasm are invaluable to any Company. When I joined, we learnt from our Senior Crew, but equally as I got more senior, it was good to see the excitement and enthusiasm they new Crew had. It is along time since this has happened.

LuganoPirate
    I am a child of the 60’s when Air Hostess was the term used. I really don’t mind what I am called, Air Hostess, Air Stewardess, Cabin Crew, or Flight Attendant. I have always worked on the principle that if you say something with good intent, then you are just using the language you are familiar with and I won’t get upset over it. I don’t even mind Trolley Dolly, if friends say with a smile…. Although I don’t know many that would dare 🙂 I do however understand that the younger ones, brought up in a different era quite often feel differently about this and I understand that.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

My 1st post for so many months Handbag, I wanted to wish you all the best for the future.

I was made redundant in October 2017 but quickly picked up another opportunity which sadly (for me) came to nothing and I have been on the proverbial scrapheap which consists of those ‘of a certain age’ until 1st May this year. Hence my not posting anything on this forum.

I had gone from flying around the world in premium cabins & enjoying all the perks of actually being paid to travel the world, in a job that I absolutely loved – to nothing at all – zero.
    It’s a sobering experience when your car is handed back, company credit cards handed over, laptops, phones etc (not exactly 3rd world issues I know but it badly affected how I felt inside) – I’ve never been out of work since 1976.

I’ve just started a new role where travel outside the UK will not be relevant to me and I have to say, I will really miss it – business travel has been a big part of my life since 1989 and, despite some of my moans on this forum, it’s a part of business that I’ve really enjoyed over the years.
    As a close friend of an Ex BA Captain out of LHR, it’s sad to see what’s become of BA but, some would say it’s been necessary for survival – As I was told when my post was no longer required.

On the plus side, I’ve learned some new songs on my Fender & even tackled the notable guitar solo on ‘Comfortably Numb’ by Pink Floyd.

Enjoy your retirement Handbag, if indeed you are calling it that.
    Cheers
    ST

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=866030]My 1st post for so many months Handbag, I wanted to wish you all the best for the future.

I was made redundant in October 2017 but quickly picked up another opportunity which sadly (for me) came to nothing and I have been on the proverbial scrapheap which consists of those ‘of a certain age’ until 1st May this year. Hence my not posting anything on this forum.

I had gone from flying around the world in premium cabins & enjoying all the perks of actually being paid to travel the world, in a job that I absolutely loved – to nothing at all – zero.

It’s a sobering experience when your car is handed back, company credit cards handed over, laptops, phones etc (not exactly 3rd world issues I know but it badly affected how I felt inside) – I’ve never been out of work since 1976.

I’ve just started a new role where travel outside the UK will not be relevant to me and I have to say, I will really miss it – business travel has been a big part of my life since 1989 and, despite some of my moans on this forum, it’s a part of business that I’ve really enjoyed over the years.

As a close friend of an Ex BA Captain out of LHR, it’s sad to see what’s become of BA but, some would say it’s been necessary for survival – As I was told when my post was no longer required.

On the plus side, I’ve learned some new songs on my Fender & even tackled the notable guitar solo on ‘Comfortably Numb’ by Pink Floyd.

Enjoy your retirement Handbag, if indeed you are calling it that.

Cheers

ST[/quote]

Seasoned, I am so pleased to hear that you have found somewhere where you can employ your skills – please do keeping posting 🙂

Sorry to drift your thread, handbag, as there is no private mail facility to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls