Large IAG A320 order

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

tiggerbrown
    Participant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23706878

The above kind of covers it all.

Edski777
    Participant

Interesting, but most of the aircraft seem to be destined for Vueling.
    I wonder where the other aircraft go. Hopefully the first ones are to replace the old BA 737 fleet.

travelworld
    Participant

Maybe the Vueling aircraft are destined for Gatwick…?

Hippocampus
    Participant

This is excellent news and proof (not that it was ever required) that despite it still being in its formative years, IAG is on track to become Europe’s leading airline group.

Air France KLM and Lufthansa look positively lethargic by comparison!

BigDog.
    Participant

So IAG decides to
    a) overpay for an already high performing airline – Vueling – which would have invested in new metal regardless of the take-over anyway.
    b) update some of its fleet which CAPA viewed as one of the oldest among legacy airlines

and Hippo is ecstatic. Big whoop, though I guess we should be grateful for small mercies.

The BA-JetBlue link up is imo far more of a fillip.

Methinks I had better reduce my share holding in Duct/Gaffer tape companies.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Modern aircraft are much cheaper to run than older ones. Couple that with very low interest rates currently and IAG’s excellent credit rating, using manufacturers finance, it’s got to be an absolute winner. In 2 years (or less) these ultra low rates will no longer be available so it’s good to commit now.

openfly
    Participant

Looks like a perfect opportunity for the ageing LGW 737s to be replaced by an Airbus fleet……..with Veuling colours on the outside and low-cost Veuling crew on the inside!

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The Gatwick 737s are already being gradually replaced by airbuses from Heathrow.

This did seem to be on the cards as far back as 2007, when an order for 8 airbuses was placed for this very purpose:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/british-airways-reveals-plans-for-replacing-gatwick-boeing-737-213907/

However, it seems that demand at Heathrow was such that the new airframes went there.

It’s good to see the 737s heading off into the sunset. BA has even brought over a to LGW a few shorthaul A321s to cope with the summer peak, which is good news.

Starting from 17th June there are 10 new A320 being delivered to Heathrow for BA’s use.

SimonS1
    Participant

I thought the lack of replacement for the 737s was all part of the gradual wind down of BA activities at LGW.

Manchester flights stopped, other frequencies recently trimmed back (see below), clapped out aircraft whilst Easyjet is expanding. Looks like the game is up really.

http://www.britishairwaysnews.com/british-airways-announce-reduction-in-flights-from-gatwick/1656/

Yes Simon…I am waiting to see which route will be given the chop next.

travelworld
    Participant

I still would not be surprised to see Vueling aircraft based at Gatwick to take over some- or even all- of BA’s European routes…

Hippocampus
    Participant

IAG did not overpay for Vueling. It already owned nearly half of the airline and by buying almost all of the other shares, IAG has been able to unlock the value of Iberia’s holding in Vueling.

Without IAG’s scale and position as one of the world’s most important and influential purchasers of aircraft, Vueling would not have been able to secure an order of this size safe in the knowledge that if is too big aircraft can be allocated to other members of IAG. Nor would Vueling benefit from the volume discount of a single order for British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and whichever airlines may join IAG in the coming years.

As I have said, we are now being to witness the true power and scale of IAG. Watch your backs Air France KLM and Lufthansa!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Hippocampus – 16/08/2013 14:22 GMT : Without IAG’s scale and position as one of the world’s most important and influential purchasers of aircraft, Vueling would not have been able to secure an order of this size safe in the knowledge that if is too big aircraft can be allocated to other members of IAG.

And presumably, the other members of IAG can happily proceed with their planning and strategy secure in the knowledge that if the order is too big then they can, er… be stuffed with the additional planes that Vueling doesn’t need?

BigDog.
    Participant

Hippocampus – 16/08/2013 14:22 GMT

….”As I have said, we are now being to witness the true power and scale of IAG. Watch your backs Air France KLM and Lufthansa!”…

How uninspiring that IAG is using AF and LH as their aspirational target when the real competition and standard setting will be from the Middle East and Far East Carriers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls