Lamest BT headline ever…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Let me start by saying I love the magazine, and the forum, but I do feel that from time to time editorial standards suffer (as – in fairness – do all industries, professions, and everything else, including myself).

I have made this post because I was struck by a headline in the latest email update that is, frankly, the lamest headline I have seen in quite some time (and I do a google search for “Brexit news” every day, so the bar has been set quite low).

Japan Airlines unveils chicken curry for first and business class

I can hardly imagine the fevered excitement of BT’s readers on hearing this extraordinary news. No doubt JAL’s website will shortly crash, and travel agents beg for reinforcements from the army to help them cope with the increased workload, as customers flock to book tickets…

Or, possibly, there just hasn’t been enough “proper” business travel news lately…

Having extracted the Michael, I will say that I hope the BT team take this post in good heart and realise that occasionally we do need to poke a little fun!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We’ve had a lot worse than that!

Yes, it is a slow news month.

I should also point out that we never know what’s of interest – yes, i’s that scientific.

A menu item on Emirates was in the top 20 a few month’s ago (in terms of traffic).

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder how many passengers will suffer from splashy slops staining their clothes when trying to consume this type of food, during a bumpy ride. This has always been a comment in the T5 lounge where masses of sloppy and splashy food is served and great care is needed especially when wearing a white shirt.

I have no problem being served a curry in any class, I just wish the chefs would avoid food items which should carry a splash warning… 🙂

Never flown Air India, but they must have some very delicious curries in F.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I remember going to see the new Ethiopian Airlines aircraft (B787) when it came into Heathrow. It had only been flying for a few weeks, but on every seat in economy, towards the front of the seat cushion in the centre, was food stains. this was because of the curry-like food served (very tasty), and also the tendency to eat it with hands, as is traditional.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I also remember my last flights on Jet Airways and on the late (and lamented) Kingfisher Airlines, both of which served superb curries. Happy days! Can’t honestly say they were dealmakers or dealbreakers when it came to deciding which airline to fly, mark you, and I definitely wouldn’t commit to flying JAL F based on their serving a chicken curry!!

Thanks for the response, Tom. Let’s hope something more exciting pops up soon with which to illuminate your illustrious organ!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve found it!

ANA Introduces New Original Gluten-Free Rice Bread

Beginning September 1, 2018, ANA will serve new gluten-free rice bread with in-flight allergen-free and gluten-free meals.

ANA collaborated with Cosmo Vital to create a tasty new option to cater to the growing demand for allergen-free meals.
    TOKYO, August 29, 2018 – Today, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Japan’s largest and 5-Star airline for six consecutive years, introduced the creation of its new original gluten-free rice bread which will be served with allergen-free and gluten-free in-flight meals. The new bread will be available on international flights beginning September 1, 2018.

The demand for special and allergen-free meals has more than tripled since 2015. Although rice bread is already served with ANA’s allergen-free and gluten-free meals, ANA is responding to passenger requests and the growing demand for special meals with the best allergen-free options available. ANA is partnering with Cosmo Vital, a Japanese innovative cooking company, to make a safe and appealing option for passengers with special dietary requirements, allowing them to enjoy their in-flight meals with a higher sense of safety and peace of mind.

ANA-Introduces-New-Original-Gluten-Free-Rice-Bread1

This original gluten-free rice bread took nine months to develop the recipe, starting in March 2017. Cosmo Vital is the first company to successfully make bread that can rise with the power of rice. Cosmo Vital made this delicious and original bread without using gluten, a polysaccharide thickener, emulsified oil and fat, or an emulsifier.

ANA-Introduces-New-Original-Gluten-Free-Rice-Bread

The new bread will be served on international routes and will be available in the Seven Allergen-Free Meal, Seven Allergen-Free Child Meal, 27 Allergen-Free Meal, and the Gluten-Free Meal (*1). The original gluten-free rice bread is available exclusively on ANA flights and will need to be ordered pre-flight via the ANA website or by phone.

2 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Gold, Tom, pure gold!!

canucklad
    Participant

C’mon Tom…..Your report card might read “ Could do better” : )

Slow news day should allow a headline along the lines of ……

“JAL admits currying a chicken in full view of first and business class passengers is unprecedented “

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

True!

You should see what we didn’t write today (yet)

The Handmaid’s Tale, The Girl on the Train, Big Little Lies, IT, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – make the Travelodge 2017 Books Left Behind Index

Manchester Airport celebrates its regional roots with 80 oak trees up for grabs

Celebrity couple Sting and Trudi Styler’s dining table for sale at auction with John Pye Auctions

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I read that as Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them. Maybe it’s time for my first cuppa!
    I wonder if BT has yet published a headline as iconic as :
    “Fog in English Channel, Continent Isolated”

openfly
    Participant

@Tom….in the early days of the Ethiopian 787, every pax was given a mini fire-extinguisher on their meal tray!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

Maybe it’s just me, but these three BT headlines from this year seem to belong to slow news days:
    “Vegan burger now available on Air New Zealand flights”
    “British Airways names B787-8 after late museum curator”
    “Alitalia unveils new uniforms”

Not criticising at all – all in good humour!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Two of those got good traffic!

I’m fine with criticism (constructive !). There’s a lot we should be doing differently. It’s often a matter of resources, but then, everyone makes that excuse.

The ten least read stories of 2017

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=885229]

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I wonder if BT has yet published a headline as iconic as: “Fog in English Channel, Continent Isolated”[/quote]

Good, but I suggest that it’s hard to beat this real headline from the News of the World (April 1970): “Nudist welfare man’s model wife fell for the Chinese hypnotist from the Co-op bacon factory”.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

From New York c1970

Headless Body in Topless Bar

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/09/vincent-musetto-new-york-post-headline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls