Jet Blue now denied Amsterdam Schiphol slots for summer 2024.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some of you may have been looking forward to sampling this US carrier which launched Amsterdam-New York JFK service just a couple of months ago.

Today’s news is not hopeful for Jet Blue,

But all is not lost as I suspect there will be tough negotiations ahead between the Netherlands and the US.

Because of Schiphol’s capacity cap Jet Blue will no longer have slots for summer 2024.

On October 24 Nltimes.nl reported that, if Jet Blue is denied slots, then it (Jet Blue) will ask the US DOT restrict KLM at JFK.

https://nltimes.nl/2023/10/24/jetblue-pushing-klm-ban-new-york-schiphol-downsizing-plans

Developments are awaited with interest.

Here’s the piece we ran last March when Jet Blue announced its Schiphol plans. This route did launch and still operates today.

JetBlue finally gains approval for Amsterdam flights

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Indeed the carrier subsequently launched a second route between Boston and Amsterdam in September.

JetBlue launches Boston-Amsterdam route

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I really wonder if JetBlue will go ahead with the threat to request that KLM be restricted flights to JFK (That flight would probably be transferred to CDG) and they probably should. I think we’ll see some negotiations happening.

I mean, Air India was denied slots at AMS this autumn after only launching flights this summer to alot of tam tam.
    I think the Netherlands could go better with their intent to reduce flights.

Frankfurt, Brussels next for Jetblue?

FDOS
    Participant

I hope the US authorities do react – it is unfortunate for KLM, as they are hardly supporters of the changes, however unilateral actions that favour the home players need a response, IMO.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

It seems that indeed things are heating up on the political front with this.

The US Dept of Transport announced today that they believe The Netherlands to be in breach of US & EU Air Transport Agreement by not applying the ‘balanced approach to aircraft noise’ document (you can bring up the document simply by googling).

It has not said how it will react but has demanded that all Dutch airlines including KLM file their Summer ’24 timetables to the US within the next seven days.

Jetblue has asked the DOT to take a reciprocal approach to The Netherlands banning KLM from flying to JFK.

The full article is behind a paywall on Bloomberg.

The Department finds that, because the Netherlands has failed to follow the Balanced Approach, the Phase 1 capacity reduction measures being undertaken at AMS constitute unjustifiable and unreasonable activities under IATFCPA, and are in violation of the of the US-EU Air Transport Agreement.

The Department orders KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, NV; Martinair Holland NV; and TUI Airlines Nederland, BV to file with the Department, within seven days of the service date of this order, any and all of their existing schedules for air transportation services, including codeshare, common branding, and extra sections, between any point or points in the United States and any point or points not in the United States.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks Rferguson2.

Luchtvaartnieuws.nl also posted a piece this afternoon.

Taking away slots from American airlines “would be a violation of the aviation treaty with the US.

“On November 13, the Americans will make one last attempt to prevent this, otherwise measures are threatened.”

[paywall]

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/vs-haalt-hard-uit-naar-nederland-over-krimp-schiphol-en-overweegt-tegenmaatregelen

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Aviation Journalist Seth Miller has a detailed article on the issue and the link to the DOT filing is included. An interesting weekend read. Apparently US airlines have lost 339 historical slots at AMS.

Given that all Dutch airlines have been asked to submit their summer 2024 schedules including codeshares, one has to wonder how the US DOT views the various KL codeshare flights operated by Delta, Air France and Virgin Atlantic to AMS.

Yea, i think JetBlue is getting those slots back. Looking at AMS-JFK flights for say next week, JetBlue is consistently under €3000 rt while KL/DL are close to €6000 in J. I think JetBlue is good for consumers.

Schiphol capacity slashed, US government responds

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There have been tough negotiations taking place between the US and Netherlands aviation bodies.

Earlier today Reuters issued the following:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-likely-retaliate-against-amsterdam-flight-cuts-iata-head-says-2023-11-14/

Latest news from a Bloomberg source is that “Schiphol airport forced to revisit 2024 summer slot allocation.

“Dutch government abandons Schiphol flight cap for summer 2024.”

More confirmation is awaited.

But it would seem Jet Blue will continue to operate through summer 2024 after all.

Had the US retaliated KLM would have been the loser by far.

It’s network is all about feeding travellers between destinations around the world and, for KLM, the US must be one of if not the most important destination.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Now confirmed by Schiphol.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Mark has posted more details on our news pages.

Much reaction from aviation experts at this Schiphol tweet.

Seems crazy that a major hub airport with six runways says it is “disappointed” with the decision !

As I have reported many times it was the business plan of both Schiphol and KLM to develop sixth-freedom traffic (a concept later developed by SIA/Changi and EK/Dubai plus others)

Today De Telegraaf [NL] says in a headline “The Netherlands has made itself incredibly ridiculous.” [paywall]

https://www.telegraaf.nl/financieel/1303499066/felle-reacties-op-voorlopige-streep-door-krimp-schiphol-nederland-heeft-zich-ongelofelijk-belachelijk-gemaakt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls