Is travel chaos the new normal?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

Tom

This is behind a paywall. Can you list them, please.

Thanks.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Worst 10 Airports in Europe for Delayed Flights (July 2022)

Brussels Airport (BRU)
    Brussels, Belgium
    72% delayed, 2.5% canceled

Frankfurt International Airport (FRA)
    Frankfurt, Germany
    68% delayed, 7.8% canceled

Eindhoven Airport (EIN)
    Eindhoven, Netherlands
    67% delayed, 1.8% canceled

Luton Airport (LTN)
    London, United Kingdom
    66% delayed, 2.7% canceled

Liszt Ferenc International Airport (BUD)
    Budapest, Hungary
    65% delayed, 2.1% canceled

Lisbon Airport (LIS)
    Lisbon, Portugal
    65% delayed, 4.8% canceled

Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)
    Paris, France
    62% delayed, 3.1% canceled

Schiphol Airport (AMS)
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    61% delayed, 5.2% canceled

Cote D’Azur Airport (NCE)
    Nice, France
    60% delayed, 3.4% canceled

Gatwick Airport (LGW)
    London, United Kingdom
    59% delayed, 1.4% canceled

Best 10 Airports in Europe for On-Time Departures (July 2022)

Bergamo/Orio al Serio Airport (BGY)
    Bergamo, Italy
    3% delayed, 1.0% canceled

Gran Canaria Airport (LPA)
    Gran Canaria, Spain
    8% delayed, 0.3% canceled

Otopeni International Airport (OTP)
    Bucharest, Romania
    10% delayed, 1.7% canceled

Dublin International Airport (DUB)
    Dublin, Ireland
    15% delayed, 1.6% canceled

Fontanarossa Airport (CTA)
    Catania, Italy
    16% delayed, 1.1% canceled

Adolfo Suarez-Barajas Airport (MAD)
    Madrid, Spain
    19% delayed, 0.4% canceled

Alicante Airport (ALC)
    Province of Alicante, Spain
    20% delayed, 3.4% canceled

Marseille Airport (MRS)
    Marseille, France
    20% delayed, 2.0% canceled

Orly Field (ORY)
    Paris, France
    21% delayed, 1.2% canceled

Malaga Airport (AGP)
    Malaga, Spain
    24% delayed, 3.3% canceled

cwoodward
    Participant

russels Airport (BRU)
    Brussels, Belgium
    72% delayed, 2.5% canceled

Frankfurt International Airport (FRA)
    Frankfurt, Germany
    68% delayed, 7.8% canceled

Eindhoven Airport (EIN)
    Eindhoven, Netherlands
    67% delayed, 1.8% canceled

Luton Airport (LTN)
    London, United Kingdom
    66% delayed, 2.7% canceled

Liszt Ferenc International Airport (BUD)
    Budapest, Hungary
    65% delayed, 2.1% canceled

Paris Airport Cancels More Flights Saturday as Strike Worsens
    Charles de Gaulle ranks 7th worst in terms of airport delays.Photographer: Benjamin Girette/Bloomberg

Lisbon Airport (LIS)
    Lisbon, Portugal
    65% delayed, 4.8% canceled

Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)
    Paris, France
    62% delayed, 3.1% canceled

Schiphol Airport (AMS)
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    61% delayed, 5.2% canceled

Cote D’Azur Airport (NCE)
    Nice, France
    60% delayed, 3.4% canceled

Gatwick Airport (LGW)
    London, United Kingdom
    59% delayed, 1.4% canceled

Best 10 Airports in Europe for On-Time Departures (July 2022)
    Bank holiday getaway
    Dublin International Airport has the 4th best on-time stats in Europe. Photographer: Damien Storan – PA Images/PA Images
    Bergamo/Orio al Serio Airport (BGY)
    Bergamo, Italy
    3% delayed, 1.0% canceled

Gran Canaria Airport (LPA)
    Gran Canaria, Spain
    8% delayed, 0.3% canceled

Otopeni International Airport (OTP)
    Bucharest, Romania
    10% delayed, 1.7% canceled

Dublin International Airport (DUB)
    Dublin, Ireland
    15% delayed, 1.6% canceled

Fontanarossa Airport (CTA)
    Catania, Italy
    16% delayed, 1.1% canceled

Passenger Departures At The Beginning Of Summer At Malaga Airport
    Madrid’s airport ranks 6th best on Hopper’s list.Photographer: Europa Press News/Europa Press

Adolfo Suarez-Barajas Airport (MAD)
    Madrid, Spain
    19% delayed, 0.4% canceled

Alicante Airport (ALC)
    Province of Alicante, Spain
    20% delayed, 3.4% canceled

Marseille Airport (MRS)
    Marseille, France
    20% delayed, 2.0% canceled

Orly Field (ORY)
    Paris, France
    21% delayed, 1.2% canceled

Malaga Airport (AGP)
    Malaga, Spain
    24% delayed, 3.3% canceled

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Actually, this is where they got the data from

https://media.hopper.com/research/major-disruption-plaguing-european-airports-during-peak-summer-months

Good graphs as well…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Travel chaos: Heathrow flights could leave partially empty as passengers are kicked off
    Airport bosses tell airlines to consider cutting the number of seats on individual flights instead of cancelling them

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/15/travel-chaos-heathrow-flights-could-leave-partially-empty-passengers/

“A source with knowledge of the meeting said: “They are working on a plan for post-July 25th which involves seat caps. Rather than necessarily cancelling lots of flights, this will be capping the number of passengers on each flight.

“They don’t know what the cap would be, but in the past it has been around 75 per cent to 80 per cent capacity on each flight. In effect, passengers face being bumped off flights that do take off.”

SimonS1
    Participant

So helping the environment by flying planes around partly empty?

I suppose at least it will help clear the Heathrow baggage mountain.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

So as a counter to the tales of chaos experienced by others.

I travelled GLA-AMS- (DMM stopover) – MCT and back over the past few days with KLM, booked in Economy and, because of status, seated in Economy Comfort seats. One upgrade for the final leg, AMS-GLA. All flights were on time and the information updates from KLM, despite repeated yellow warnings of issues at Schipol, were excellent.

I arrived at GLA very early for my 06.15 outbound flight as KLM does not buy fast track access at GLA. I arrived at about 04.15 expecting very long queues for holiday flights but was through in 15 minutes. One slightly odd thing is that online check-in from Glasgow to long-haul destinations does not give access to boarding cards but the Priority Lane at check-in was empty when I arrived so that was no issue as I was travelling hand-luggage only. The Upperdeck third party lounge in GLA is good and was not particularly busy although some travellers were getting into the holiday mood early by accessing the bar.

The Cityhopper flight was fine and the snack and drinks offered in Economy are generous by current day standards. Cityhopper arrivals are remote in Schipol but I was on the first bus away and that was no hassle. The large non-Schengen Lounge (Lounge 52) was very busy but there was still adequate space to work and to access the always-interesting choice of food and drink. There were no security or other checks in AMS on the outbound.

Boarding the A330-300 was fast and very ordered and the seat, with its significantly enhanced legroom, was fine, especially as the seat next to me in the middle 4 was free. We pushed back on time and the 6 hours to Dammam passed quickly, very edible food for lunch and a hot snack before arrival. About 80% of our passenger load deplaned in Dammam, meaning a quiet onward leg to Muscat where arrival formalities were fast and seamless.

Outbound marks out of 10? 9.5

The return, likewise, could not be faulted. I arrived at Muscat airport early again for a 00.35 departure but, this time, had been able to download my boarding passes to my hand device. Immigration and security took about 15 minutes and I then went upstairs to the Primeclass third party lounge which is spacious and has an interesting range of hot and cold food options in the buffet with good wifi connectivity – a great location to follow the third round at St Andrews!!

Boarding was quick and stress-free again with a good bulkhead seat. The flight for the first leg was slightly busier because of a large (but well-behaved) school group at the rear of the plane, notwithstanding their teacher ensconced in Business Class! Drinks and a small snack before our intermediate stop during which I fell asleep, not waking again until the lights came on for breakfast, about 90 minutes out of Amsterdam. Excellent breakfast for Economy – fruit, Greek yoghurt and waffles with apple compote and arrival some 15 minutes early.

Security was relatively quick on arrival – no items removed from bags – and then back to Lounge 52. I did notice lengthy queues of folk accessing the arrivals area, presumably for passport control.

Final flight back to Cityhopper and a remote stand. A bonus of an upgrade at the gate so lunch on the plane rather than at home – a really delicious pasta and smoked salmon salad. Arrival on time and off the aircraft quickly which allowed me to sneak ahead of Emirates passengers and get through the e-gates without any wait.

Outbound marks out of 10? 10

Lucky? Maybe. Satisfied? Definitely….

5 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

I flew Barcelona to Liverpool via Frankfurt today.

I did have to giggle thinking about the old jokes the brits like to make about workshy spaniards and their siestas after passing through BCN Terminal one which was HEAVING yet working like a well oiled machine. Very VERY busy terminal yet there were no bottlenecks, lines were moving quickly and most importantly EVERY security check point was open and staffed.

Similar situation in FRA. Airport very busy but none of the scenes we’ve seen here in the UK.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The strike is going ahead

Refuelling staff to stage three-day strike at Heathrow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62219559

MarcusGB
    Participant

LHR never seems to change it’s spots!

In my view it has never been that great, and will remain at a lower grade and use in the future compared to other European Hubs.

I am taking flights out of LCY, and connecting at more European hubs, for long haul travel.
    Far more predictable, reliable than using LHR, often quicker.
    Neither do i pay the UK Charges to get off the Island, saving about £400+ each flight.

Airlines have hugely increased prices ex LHR also, eg Thailand around £3-3,500 Business return now. 6 months ago, flights were as little as £1,500-1,800!!!
    Paying in Euros, and via another European hub currently, is half the price, even using the same Airlines ex Europe.
    So, No thanks LHR. It was expected, and as efficient as ever.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The days of enjoying ex Ams (back to London) and onwards to Asia tickets are gone for the foreseeable future. Yes prices have gone up, significantly, but right now my strategy is:

** Hand baggage only – anything extra needed that does fit into my trusty carry on is purchased on an as needed basis when I arrive.

** Avoid certain airlines (BA), certain terminals (T5) and try to use countries where airports (Helsinki and Doha) seem to be running smoothly. Would not risk FRA or AMS (although I know the issues are not everyday)

** Would not even consider 2 flights on the same day using separate PNR’s – only buy connecting tickets.

** I am fortunate that I use the same hotels for my trips. I am equally fortunate that my main hotel brand (Westin) allow me to keep clothes in storage and clean / hang clothes after each visit.

** Prefer to arrive 3 – 4 hours in advance at airports. Will set up camp in a lounge or find a quiet corner and work whilst I wait. If nothing else the pandemic has increased the quality of TEAMS/ZOOM/Webex & remote working is now accepted. A couple of weeks ago, I was on my way to the east of England and sat at the side of a dual carriage way (official parking) and joined a TEAMS conference call. Remote working at its best…

** Try to leave a set of charging and computer cables, so that’s one thing less to carry.

Of course I still set an alarm clock to ping 55 minutes before departure and then shut up shop and go to the gate. Will not miss a flight a second time!

Overcoming the travel madness in 2022…. 🙂

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m not surprised….

“Demand for flying has fallen significantly among some of Europe’s largest airlines, as disruption in the aviation industry shows signs of hitting people’s appetite for travel.”

FT piece

Travel chaos hits demand for European flights

Cancellations rise and last-minute bookings show marked decline among major national carriers

https://www.ft.com/content/b5f86dac-4a1a-494b-884e-e14836994a1c

AMcWhirter
    Participant

If you have booked Finnair from Heathrow in the near future then best check your flight status.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Some good news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62240728
    Union suspends Heathrow refuelling staff strike

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls