Is travel chaos the new normal?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

• scott1nthesky
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, that’s interesting advice about the tracking device and its been mentioned a few times by colleagues since I had this incident…have you had to use it to track a mishandled bag? I’m curious about the practicality of it. Say, in my case, I had a tracker in my bag and I could see it was somewhere in CDG but Air France maintained they couldn’t locate it. Their customer service dept have issued a message to say they will simply not respond to questions about bags because they have a backlog of so many. How do you go about providing the tracking data to them? Or is it more a case of reassurance that it’s at least in the airport and will be scanned and processed at some point? None of my colleagues have had to do this yet so I’m interested to know if anyone has had success with it.

On the continuing theme, AF have recovered one bag but not the other, both tagged and checked within seconds of each other. They had labelled the bags on the incorrect bookings so my bag was delivered to my travel companion’s home, despite them being contacted by AF to say their bag was on its way. AF e-mailed me to say the appointed courier would make contact to secure a delivery slot. This didn’t happen and they returned home to find my bag left on their front doorstep. In the meantime, their bag has changed status on the AF system to note they need a full inventory and claim form completing since they still haven’t tracked the bag.

nevereconomy
    Participant

For years I have travelled back and forth between the UK and US with only carry on. It was not work, so no formal clothes and I just washed stuff or bought bits and pieces which I left behind. For people who visit the same company office often maybe leave some things there with a colleague. This may be the way of the future. If you needed a suit I think most places have hire outlets !! I did that on Cunard for the formal nights…

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1221577]

I’ve travelled all over the world for decades, always hand luggage only (admittedly usually in business class and so with higher allowances). (This started when I lost a suitcase stuffed with Xmas gifts, and never got it back). It just requires careful planning and packing and attention to carry-on sizes and weight limits. I never have to buy stuff at my destination, or leave any behind.

I love it. I never have to worry about losing a bag, and am able to exit the airport more quickly than many passengers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1221572]have you had to use it to track a mishandled bag?[/quote]

The first time I used GEGO was on a LHR to MCO via MIA. I had to collect a checked bag in MIA and re check in for MCO (on BA).

Bag did not turn up, went to see the BA agent by the baggage carousel who said a number of bags had been left in London. I already had seen on my phone app where the bag currently sat, so I flipped open my lap top, for dramatic effect and hey presto, a pointer showed my bag was in MIA.

I still had to wait until the next day to get my bag back as I had a connection to catch and nobody could be bothered to go and retrieve my bag. The final part of the story was the following day, when my bag reached MCO, I received a notification my bag was now in MCO on my phone, I was living ca. 15 minutes from the airport and immediately left to retrieve the bag which appeared on the airside baggage carousel as I arrived.

Trackers do work….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Let’s hope there is some good news today

British Airways Nears Deal With Union to Avert Strike by Check-In Workers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-06/british-airways-is-said-close-to-deal-with-union-averting-strike?srnd=premium-uk&sref=mmmxhwrQ

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Lufthansa and KLM cancel flights and limit sales of cheaper tickets – https://on.ft.com/3NQslEL via @FT

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, Tom. Not good news as I have 4 KLM flights this week (two European, two long-haul). If you want to avoid the paywall for this FT report, see https://www.newsncr.com/business/lufthansa-and-klm-cancel-flights-and-limit-sales-of-cheaper-tickets/ and enjoy the bizarre English in the report!!!

ImissConcorde
    Participant

We had a trip to Amsterdam booked. BA cancelled our return (outside of 14 days) booked for 1615 on Saturday. Rebooked for 1915. Flight actually left at 2117. The most annoying bit of the trip was, on arrival Heathrow we had to wait for 20 minutes before the lights on stand were activated. And then another 20 minutes for someone to attach the jetty!! It’s now 10.00pm After three unsuccessful attempts to book an UBER we went for the bus and train arriving home at midnight!!! And it’s not just the UK. A 2-1/2 train trip from Amsterdam to Maastricht took 5 hours and 4 trains!!

cwoodward
    Participant

To directly answer the question put = No

Almost all airports in Asia are working seamlessly as usual

Many European airports are a joke and most in the UK a bad joke with the boss of Birmingham airport receiving a GBP 200K salary increase to over half a million p.a. according to reports.

Using the same criteria are we to assume that the boss of Manchester will be rewarded a GBP300k increase ?

I just cancelled my next months Cathay flight/visit to Manchester office.

Can the UK get worse ?…civil war perhaps ?

Its all so bloody sad.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This morning LHR says it will cap passenger numbers to around 100,000 a day.

SimonS1
    Participant

Honestly I’m surprised that gobsite Holland-Kaye is still in his job.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Icelandair believes it has a solution.

This Reykjavik-based airline is flying its own baggage handlers to Schiphol so they can unload / load their flights.

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2022/07/12/icelandair-sending-own-baggage-handlers-to-amsterdam

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Also has the 10 best…

The 10 Worst Airports in Europe for Delays Right Now

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-12/worst-airports-in-europe-for-flight-delays-right-now-where-to-fly-instead

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls