Is this the most spectacular train station in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Good article on Grand Central here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21353825

I hadn’t realised that Penn station had some great character as well but unfortunately it was vandalised. Shocking to think that St Pancras could have suffered the same fate. What drugs were these 60s architects on that inspired them to destroy such beauty?!?

Schaible
    Participant

Beijing West Railway Station…. The biggest one in Asia, I guess.

It is a huge coloss and always an experience to go into it buy passing security check, especially ahead of a public holiday!

RCinBelper
    Participant

I pass through Liege G regularly en-route to Maastricht or Germany via Eurostar/Brussels and it is always depressing. This is because Derby station was ‘rebuilt’ around the same time – clearly using off-the-shelf DIY products from B&Q and I can’t help making the comparison.

RCinBelper
    Participant

I pass through Liege G regularly en-route to Maastricht or Germany via Eurostar/Brussels and it is always depressing. This is because Derby station was ‘rebuilt’ around the same time – clearly using off-the-shelf DIY products from B&Q and I can’t help making the comparison.

esselle
    Participant

I quite like Gare de Lyon as it is home to the spectacular Train Bleu restaurant.

Carlton-Browne
    Participant

Leipzig and Porto come to mind.

conshaldow
    Participant

FDOS_UK
    Participant

conshaldow – 19/02/2016 11:58 GMT

LOL 🙂

icenspice
    Participant

Indeed conshaldow

One of the most underrated train stations in the UK, if not in Europe.

Priceless.

MarcusGB
    Participant

But do all stations have this (presumably) well run a station?!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jzawodn/132667966

Actually i really do appreciate the more “Victorian era” of stations, and London has some fine ones.
    Amsterdam Centraal from the outside as St. Pancras are up there as magnificent in terms of period architecture.

canucklad
    Participant

Lol conshaldow…….A station that befits the fine town of Paisley !
    As for the 2nd picture, well Marcus ,I wouldn’t have thought such things went on in the sedate valleys of the lake district…..

Back on track ,excuse the pun…….What should have been an opportunity to transform a once iconic station into a truly wonderful modern majestic thing of beauty,befitting it’s unique location has been totally wasted by Network Rail……
    Rather it has the feel of being in the middle of a bizarre battle between the relatively modern game of Tetris invading the older traditional world of jigsaw puzzles !!

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Scotland’s capital station…The Waverley!

MrMichael
    Participant

I am in The Amsterdam camp too, from the outside and platform 1, the rest of the place is dire.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls