Is this the most spectacular train station in the world?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

…….Liège-Guillemins?

I will let the photos speak for themselves:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=liege+guillemins&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BntNU7HWBuib0AXv_YHYBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1152&bih=654

I can think of other stations in London, India and Maputo worth visiting without even catching a train, but this one really took my breath away, especially compared with other main Belgian stations which tend to be grim (with the exception of Antwerp).

JohnHarper
    Participant

How about Berlin Hbf?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=berlin+hbf&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=T4NNU-CWLc-T0AXQkoHYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1566&bih=854

I’ve also travelled through Liège-Guillemins and it’s true it is also spectacular.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Alexpo1, truly beautiful! Two other greats are Washington, D.C. Union Station, and of course my home station of Antwerpen Centraal

PhilipHart
    Participant

Or what about the breathtaking Lyon Satolas by Santiago Calatrava?

Bath_VIP
    Participant

In no particular order, I would nominate these stations.

1. Grand Central New York
    2. Union station Washington DC
    3. London St. Pancras (at least from the outside, though the inside isn’t too bad)

An honourable mention must go to the new Reading station. Though not yet complete, the new bridge over the platforms is quite spectacular and is possibly unique in that I can’t think of any other station where you can stand look out upon the incoming tracks from far away.

canucklad
    Participant

Brilliant images alexpo1

Having been to Liege a couple times, it’s a definite positive addition to the skyline.
    Visited Grand central, Berlin and London St. Pancras and agree that they are impressive.

In the grand central theme I love Vancouver’s old CP station at the waterfront, a mini GC, only with mountain’s as a backdrop.
    The Paris stations also have their grandiose uplifting feel to them.

I’m going to make a special mention for the Waverly, without a doubt, it’s a case of Location, Location Location.
    Sadly Network rail missed an opportunity to do something special with their largest station outside of the Big Smoke.

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/unbuilt

maxgeorge
    Participant

Haydarpasa, both for architecture and location facing Istanbul across the Bosphorus: and what was once perhaps the greatest British built terminal of all, Retiro in Buenos Aires, now a dormant ruin, thanks to the kleptomanic President Carlos Menem.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe not spectacular from an architectural point of view, but certainly from an engineers point of view is the station at the top of Europe, the Jungfraujoch. It’s at 3,500 metres and was built about 1898 when they didn’t have modern boring machines and so on. For me it’s a spectacular feat of engineering and is up there as one of the great railway journeys in the world!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning LP

Was that the station that featured in Michael Portillo’s TV programme about European rail journeys, the one with a hotel at the top and nothing much else?

If it is, then you’re right, added to my ever increasing bucket list of things to do? : )

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I found the one in Berlin to be the most spectacular train station in the world.

NTarrant
    Participant

The interior and front of Dunedin in New Zealand is very interesting and ornate.

There are many stations in the UK and Europe which have some fantastic architecture .

rjhcambs
    Participant

The old central station. in Kuala Lumpur looking like a Maharajah’s palace must be high on any list. Shame it’s replacement looks like a shopping mall. Also I agree with Maxgeorge above about Hydrapasar on the Asian side of Istanbul. In the Uk, York is probably my favourite.

Thanks for reminding me of Grand Central NYC.

Another station I was thinking of location wise is Marseille St Charles. Exit and you are at the top of a steep flight of steps with a fab view of the city.

Also Venice Santa Lucia.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Good article on Grand Central here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21353825

I hadn’t realised that Penn station had some great character as well but unfortunately it was vandalised. Shocking to think that St Pancras could have suffered the same fate. What drugs were these 60s architects on that inspired them to destroy such beauty?!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls