Is there a doctor on board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

The largesse of EasyJet knows no bounds….

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/easyjet-passenger-gets-free-coffee-for-saving-persons-life-on-plane-and-preventing-flight-from-a6923541.html

well up to a cup of coffee…. the KitKat is extra.

Guess the cabin crew were not allowed to act on their own initiative – pity the management didn’t extend appropriate gratitude until pushed and shamed.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Sorry for the slight change of topic, but the following story in the paper years ago stuck in my mind:

*Passenger falls ill on a HKG-LHR flight;

*Plane lands in Russia. Passenger has no travel insurance for Russia and ends up with a huge hospital bill.

I wonder how many people fly without insurance: quite a few, I suspect.

Coldbat
    Participant

I found this thread fascinating!

Have we learned anything over the 3+ years since the OP? Any new things to share?

GivingupBA
    Participant

I too registered as “Dr” instead of “Mr” for an FFP [hoping for upgrades…. fat chance]. .

I have been approached by flight attendants looking for a doctor more than once, had to turn them down as I have a Ph.D. in Language and Linguistics.

I would never have the nerve to say my very feeble [apologies] joke back to them, “Well I can help in linguistic emergencies” 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@GivingupBA

I am amazed by the number of professional people I meet who either think they have travel insurance or have no idea what their travel insurance benefits are…. or who buy based on cost..

Just saw this on MSN..

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/easyjet-passenger-gets-free-coffee-for-saving-persons-life-on-plane-and-preventing-flight-from-diverting/ar-AAgCZAK?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=SKY2DHP

Charles-P
    Participant

My son, currently at law school in the US is currently undertaking a project to look at liabilities when traveling and whose jurisdiction is prevalent. As an example the various space agencies who send astronauts to the international space station recently agreed that Swiss law will be deemed priority in the event of an accident or legal dispute while on board.

His hypothetical case concerns a US manufactured aircraft with British engines, Belgian avionics, a crew of various nationalities operating between two countries with different legal systems who have a crash as the result of the Dutch supplied fuel that originated in Saudi Arabia.

MarcusGB
    Participant

As a contributor to this original issue, it has very serious legal implications, and Jurisdictions are complicated on Board an aircraft.

I have been called or responded for a “Medical Dr or Nurse” when requested, several times since this subject was started.
    I actually have asked KLM for their Policy on this issue, what insurances they have for those who volunteer assistance. I will be happy to post these when a response is given.

To most calls, Confidence and a basic knowledge of managing these situations, is needed. I always identify myself and position, and leave a card after, with full details to the crew, as well as informing the person to obtain their consent. This is also true of stopping for road accidents, calm, clear head, co-ordination, good communication, and requesting the right emergency services.
    Frequently, the issues require a good basic awareness of vital signs, for which Aircraft carry the basic equipment, for BP/Pulse, stethoscope, with some basic medications and O2 always useful.

Rule out what is Not happening, as many assume the worst, having taken a history of conditions the person has. Often their own medications with them will assist, but they are unsure whether to take them or an increased dose.
    Conditions on board, including rest and sleep before the flight, activities, and stress on board all contribute to exacerbation of their condition. Hydration, placed somewhere more quiet, with room, checked often, or i stay with them if serious.
    At times it has meant an urgent landing at the destination, and Ground Paramedics being at the gate.

I find the most common issues are forms of seizures, respiratory difficulties such as asthma, high BP / pulse for heart conditions, and Post Trauma to the body . (Eg one guy after a Martial arts competition, being kicked in the head the day before) starting post trauma head injury seizure,s on flying home the day after.

Crews are very supportive i have found, offer all equipments for what you need, and communicate with the Captain and ground to have services waiting, if needed. KLM have been excellent in the many times of many years, i have volunteered, always with a letter and miles, or a gift, or voucher following.

However, extreme caution on the legality and liability of your actions must be considered, where and which Airline you travel on. You are legally and professionally accountable if you do the wrong thing, and worsen matters!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Although only marginally on topic, I can see why medics might refuse to help for fear of liability. A friend of mine has switched from being an OB/GYN to pure gynae, because he could no longer afford to maintain insurance for his obstetrics practice after they changed the rules to require liability to be maintained until the newborn reaches 21 years of age. To illustrate the dangers – a couple of years ago he helped out in an emergency (in hospital), literally jumping on to a gurney on which a mother (another surgeon’s patient) was bleeding to death as she was being rushed into theatre, saving her and her child (who sadly suffered brain damage, although fortunately quite mild) – and was sued by the mother. What was he supposed to do? Stand idly by??

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I empathise with all that Marcus, except for the stethoscope. I can never hear anything useful down a stethoscope on an aircraft in flight. You must have better ears than me!

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls