Is there a doctor on board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

LondonSurgeon – all made sense until the last line.

Finding large numbers of paramedics/nurses to work on planes would be a big ask bearing in mind fleet sizes and presumably the need to have surplus capacity due to hours etc. Even if they were available there would be a significant cost at a time when many airline groups are losing money, presumably meaning fares would need to be increased.

I can’t see it ever happening, although I am sure Michael O’Leary would find a way of adding it as another tax.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Thank you London Surgeon. I am a physician, and I agree with every word (for the non-medics, physicians and surgeons don’t always agree…). The ethical and moral obligation needs to be remembered, and the GMC could indeed regard non-response as a failure in the duty as a doctor.

LondonSurgeon
    Participant

@Simons1
    That is exactly my point. By acting in good faith we are saving airlines thousands of pounds/dollars. Thus a good faith gesture of a free flight or upgrade is a pittance.

LondonSurgeon
    Participant

@David Gordon
    I would prefer to be treated by a prof of medicine than by a surgeon on a flight if I ever have my MI.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Very interesting and relevant comments continue on this important issue.

Every one has a validity. They each reflect from a different angle, within the Professions, outside, and from durisdictions that differ.

It would be really helpful and such an ongoing thread of interest, if BT could obtain some Airline Policies on assistance, insurance, durisdiction , and benefit if, and how it is awarded.

Perhaps we can also be then better informed from them?

It still is a major concern to me, that where we fly from, to, and on which Airline, has a major impact.
    It is quite a different situation, than assisting at a roadside incident in the UK, when we work and are insured, licensed and have English Law.

BT, time to come in on this one, or perhaps assist us with the archive that you have, or ask some of our major Airlines?

LondonSurgeon
    Participant

I have just found this on the New England Journal of Medicine in May 2013:
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1212052?query=featured_home#t=articleTop

The odds of a medical emergency are 1 per 604 flights, or 16 per 1 million passengers.

Planes had to be diverted for emergency help in only 7 percent of cases.

Doctors were on board and volunteered to help in 48 percent of cases; nurses and other health workers were available in another 28 percent. Only one-third of cases had to be handled by flight attendants alone.

The most common problems: Dizziness or passing out (37 percent of cases); trouble breathing (12 percent) and nausea or vomiting (10 percent).

About one-fourth of passengers were evaluated at a hospital after landing and 9 percent were admitted, usually with stroke, respiratory or cardiac symptoms.

Out of nearly 12,000 cases, a defibrillator was applied 137 times, including in 24 cases of cardiac arrest, where the heart had stopped. (Sometimes defibrillators are used to analyze an irregular heart rhythm to help doctors figure out what to do, not necessarily to deliver a shock.)

Of the cases in this study, only 36 deaths occurred, 30 of them during the flight and the others after landing.

Pregnancy-related problems were generally rare — 61 cases, in this study — and two-thirds of them involved women less than 24 weeks along with possible miscarriages. Air travel is considered safe up to the 36th week, or the last month, of pregnancy. Only three cases of women in labor beyond 24 weeks of pregnancy led to a plane being diverted.

LondonSurgeon
    Participant

This is another article written from Hillingdon Hospital (next to Heathrow airport) in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine:
    http://jrs.sagepub.com/content/99/12/628.full

Indemnity is the security against damage, loss, or injury or a legal exemption from liability for damages. Under current British law, UK registered airlines operating out of the UK have no legal obligation to offer indemnity to Good Samaritans. It is at the discretion of the airline whether they offer this legal protection out of goodwill. British Airways, Virgin and other major carriers will indemnify a medical professional against legal liability, unless grossly negligent, that might arise from their assistance with an onboard medical emergency. In contrast, the US adopted legislation in 1998 in the form of the Aviation Medical Assistance Act, which includes a Good Samaritan provision.10 This protects passengers who step forward to offer medical assistance from liability unless they are guilty of gross negligence or wilful misconduct. This act dictates what happens on US registered aircraft only and the terms are irrespective of current airspace. Indemnity from the airline is only applicable if the airline requests your assistance, usually verbally via the tannoy. It does not apply if you spontaneously offer assistance, and you should therefore wait for a request to be issued. If assistance is requested directly by the passenger, as could occasionally happen, it is pertinent to inform airline staff of the situation and clarify that indemnity will be provided.
    If an airline does not offer indemnity to the acting doctor, medical defence organizations will provide insurance in the event of any legal proceedings, unless the potential claimant is bringing the action in a court under American or Canadian jurisdiction. In reality, it is extremely rare for a passenger to take action against a Good Samaritan.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

LondonSurgeon – 30/05/2013 15:31 – Thank you! In return, I must say that when my femoral neck goes as I fall over in the aisle, I want you there, please, not some physician.

MarcusUK
    Participant

So any feedback on the various Airlines policies BT?

This is information which would be difficult for us to obtain so easily?

judynagy
    Participant

Seems that an upgrade certificate to first on your next flight would be a nice gesture on the airline’s part. Accompanied by a sincere thank you from the Purser, of course. I have observed two instances where doctors sat mum when the call came and that’s a real shame.

BigDog.
    Participant

Good Samaritan law expected to be centrepiece of next week’s Queen’s Speech.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644329/Have-heroes-ignore-elf-n-safety-protected-law.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well here’s a first for me on a plane, Swiss to LHR. The stewardess had to be stretchered off the plane as she broke a leg! Not sure how but I’ll find out.

This meant the front door was blocked off for the evacuation and all the French lady behind me can do is moan she had to board from the rear. And she kicked up quite a bit of fuss.Oh dear. Surely there are worse things in life than that!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

LP – this relates to one of the stories in my original post. It will be interesting to learn how the unfortunate Swiss flight attendant sustained her injury, but I suspect a catering trolley. A rampaging brakes-off catering trolley is heavy and dangerous. (“Cart” for the US readers…..)

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

My partner is a GP in the UK. On a AF flight from ORY to PTP, cabin crew did an announcement to see if there was a doctor on board. I went to see the cabin crew, told them my partner was, and (if needed) I could translate as he is English. The language was not the important thing here, they only asked me if he had a “proof” that he was a doctor, to which I smirked and replied “of course not, we’re going on holidays… but again, if you need his help, we’re sitting there…) The same thing happen on the same flight a few years back, and they never questioned anything… New rules?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

They wouldn’t tell me David. Each FA I asked just skirted the subject and carried on with whatever they were doing. Strange!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls