Is it necessary to pay for water in hotels?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

• PerthWA
    Participant

As I’ve been laid low With a massive infection which the local quacks are having a great deal of difficulty identifying EXCEPT that it started in new York… I’d suggest drinking coke and only coke. If it can clean toilets and tarnished pennies it will at least kill off “water bugs”.
    Don’t forget even in that most civalised of cities which you all seem to love ie Sydney, the Giardia (sorry spelling) infected hundreds through the tap water system. I still don’t drink tap in Sydney but stupidly did in NYC! One day my brain will remember my own advice! As for hotels charging for water… Yeah nah as we say in WA, it should be part if their duty mof care to their guests.

RichHI1
    Participant

Remember WC Fields would not drink ware beacuse of what fish did in it… In the Middel AGes people did not drink the water preferring beer as it was safer…. Sounds like a plan though I think my electirc toothbrush would get a bit too foamy…

canucklad
    Participant

What about a question of taste………

i was raised on tap water in Vancouver……….cold refreshing and thirst quenching

The tap water I now drink in scotland pretty much is as good as my childhood water…….

How londoners can drink from the tap is beyond me….I used to ask when checking in if the stuff was save to drink….!!!

Like most people and part of my upbringing I find it absolutley reprehensable .disgusting what hotels charge for water….the holiday Inn that i regularly stay in charge more for English bottled water than “Imported Beer” ?????

I drink alot of water, so the local shop benefits from my custom on every stay 4ltres of sparkling for £1 rather than £20+ from the hotel for pretty much the same brand

As an added thought, drinking water on aircraft………….surely it must depend on the origin of the flight as to what quality of water is on-board????

RichHI1
    Participant

Many airlines use bottled water (AA for instance) for all drinking water. I suspect the coffee and tea systems and cookery are all tap water. Anyone know what BA and others do for glasses of drinking water?

Relating to Canadian and Scottish water, I used to believe that the phrase “pure as a mountain stream” made for good drinking until I did some expeditions in various mountain ranges (a long time ago) and learned that animals do horrendous things in mountain streams and you are ill advised to touch one without testing it. Far safer to drink purified city water with that appetizing tang of chlorine and iron… Hence bottled water, though if you visit the sources for some of these waters you might not drink them again. Does the word Dasani mean anything?

Do Ryan Air or any of the LoCos charge for water?

Stowage222
    Participant

BA only offer Highland Spring from the bottle during the flight.

As an aside, I went on a 5.5 hour flight with Thomas Cook airlines last year and wasn’t even offered a glass of water. As I refused to buy a meal I received no cabin service at all. I was going to complain to corporate HQ but in the end I realised they probably didn’t care so I didn’t bother. Never again.

canucklad
    Participant

Given a chance I’m sure they would charge you for using the water in the loo’s……..Want to was your hands after the event ……..Insert 1 euro please…….

As far as mountain fresh water I’m presuming your refering to what bears are reputed to do……….

Ricjackal
    Participant

Disgustedof Swieqi, Do you drink tap water in Malta or bottled ????

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Whatever you do, don’t drink the tap water in Bahrain !

jerrymendel
    Participant

The only water that I drink is tap water with green tea. I drink fresh orange juice. I never drink water, which has been suggested by my online doctor, William Campbell Douglas MD. I’ve read that municipal water testing in first world cities is much stricter, than bottled water testing. No one knows where the water in bottles comes from.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just got hit for a couple of bottles of water, requested at hotel reception, cost Euros 18 + service charge, at 1 am.

I should have been directed to the exec lounge where I could take the water for free.

Other than that, Westin Grande FFM, superb.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Why didnt you just reject it?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Had been upgraded to a monster duplex suite and put it down to some income against my name!

Despite the cost of the water, it was a superb hotel and stay.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Was it Voss?

Have you told Mrs S?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

No & no !!

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Monster suites (like big baths) are more fun when you have someone to share them with !

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls