IRIS scanners at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

• TerryMcManus24
    Participant

response from Tally Grewal (with thanks)
    Chief Immigration Officer

Dear Sir

I am sorry that you were unable to use the IRIS Barrier at Terminal 3 Heathrow on 3/6/11.

I can confirm that both the IRIS barriers were working on 3/6/11.
    However, because our arrivals control is being refurbished and ACS gates ( Facial recognition gates) are being installed next to the IRIS barriers, the IRIS area may have been cordoned off due to this refurbishment/installation.

Regards
    Tally Grewal
    Chief Immigration Officer
    Terminal 3
    Heathrow Airport

so……………………

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Does anyone know the format of the new biometric passport system. Will it work with all biometric passports, irrepective of nationality or will it only work with UK of GB & NI passports.

I like the Iris scanners as it it seems to be the only way a holder of a UK of GB & NI passport is able to skip the q’s at border control.

RichHI1
    Participant

Used T3 Twice this week from ORD and LIS, IRIS worked flawlessly both times. Flown to LIS three times in last month and they have biometric passport machines. They are ony for EU Passports and I have only once got through using the first reader selected. Normally my UK passport is refused by 2 or 3 machines until I find one that accepts it. This seems a common experience at Lisbon. IRIS in T3 is superb and it would really confirm for me this administration’s contempt for international business and the aviation industry if they allowed the UKBA to stop IRIS for this Euro Bio stuff which is nowhere near as efficient.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Rich (and any other interested parties)

Iris has been withdrawn from LGW South Terminal and will not be coming back, according to an immigration officer there, three weeks ago.

I know you normally travel from LHR, but thought you might like to be aware.

RichHI1
    Participant

Thanks, yes stopped using LGW when AA moved DFW to LHR. In fact joined IRIS at the LGW office. Confirms my contempt for the anti aviation anti international business policies of the current UK government. Anyone fancy an election?

fu2u2UK
    Participant

Move to the right a little, move to the left a little, move up a little, slow and sensitive. It is hit and miss with the Iris Scanner. Hong Kong airport fast and reliable, scan the bar code enter and then scan your finger print. ticket comes out and door opens done.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Once you get the hang of them, the IRIS gates are a doddle. I am rarely in them longer than 20 seconds.

It’s the more inexperienced users who have trouble, engaging in some sort of Rick Astley-style boogie in order to get themselves in front of the right camera.

One of the problems seems to be connected with large cabin baggage being mistaken for your head, and then necessitating the use of a lower camera, so it’s best to keep this away from the camera (though I mostly use a rollaboard).

IRIS isn’t the be-all-and-end-all in the UK, the Border Agency is investing in e-gates as well, which will eventually replace IRIS:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/travellingtotheuk/Enteringtheuk/e-passport-gates/

Binman62
    Participant

MartynSinclair….. Not sure about the technical issues but so long as you passport has a picture of a gold chip on the front it will work. Far better I gelt than IRIS as no registration or issues over contact lens. In t5 last weekend they worked on second attempt for me possibly because I looked worse for wear

RichHI1
    Participant

To inform debate rather than further my prejudices can I explain my concerns over E-Passport readers over IRIS.
    Based on Lisbon experience (only used once at T5 when IRIS was down for service).
    1.Takes 2-3 attempts each time to find machine that accepts passport
    2. Dubious secuirty, tried standing facing sideways not looking at screen and it still let me in (This is Portuguese issue as I believe UK machines read finger prints not facial recognition. Not tried wearing gloves in T5 to check security but that will probably be good test to see how safe it is.)
    3. No interview so no increased security protection
    4. Restricted politically to EEA passport holders. IRIS is available to foreign nationals with unrestricted right of entry to UK including specifically Non EEA passport holders. (This is I feel the most backwards and luddite part of this approach. In a different forum there is much complaint about immigration procedures in the US and other states and here we have a case of this parochialism taking over in UK).
    4. IRIS is available to anyone who registers (subject to security clearance). Therefore it is used mostly by frequent travellers who understand how to use it and it is not clogged with users. The epassport scheme will be open to all EEA travellers and as such is going to become as jammed up and inefficient as the manual system. Further as it is only accessible to over 18’s I can foresee hundred of Euro Holiday makers jamming up the system as they find their kids have to go back and stand in line (assuming they have not closed the face toi face line (9-5 only to save more money and further inconvenience air travellers). I would think the motivator is one of cost cutting and a desire to fire all the UKBA staff currently employed to check UK citizens and the assorted Europeans allowed under EEA. I see no intent to improve either security or ease of use.
    Should the E Passport system be open to all nationalities (with right of entry through Visa etc) be proven to increase security and function efficiently, my views would change however I am not holding my breath.

brianba
    Participant

I been registered & have used the IRIS system every since it started … only once or twice in 40+ arrivals have I had it not work, then managed to go thru fast track. Its a wonderful idea & must be continued. Sometimes its just 5 mins from leaving the plane to getting to the baggage hall & thats the way travel should be.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

IRIS still work a treat in T5, but those big electronic and fancy gates in the new lane look exciting! Anyone know when they are opening?

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

HI Martin – went through T3 last week, IRIS still in operation! Are the electronic gates you’re referring to the ones on the biometric passport area?

RichHI1
    Participant

A key issue that is overlooked is the British government undertaking to work on improving security with other countries. THis was signed many years ago and the UK has been alone in not fulfilling its obligations. I have an official response form the Minister (via my MP) that a small trial is underway but no mention of where and who (other than select BA Frequent Flyers).
    IRIS is one of the few examples of excellence ffrom UKBA. The service level has dropped since the Euro things were put in but it still remains an excellent service in terms of accelrating clearnace, cutting costs and aiding international business and travel.
    The E-Pass gates are slower and seem to be a further attempt to pursue the European Agenda by excluding non EEA passports.
    I have heard that the idea is for Biometric passports to hold more data at a later datausing an agreed international format with possibly a read write system. Does anyone have any details? I suspect the UK, Europe and the US will all be concerned about Data Protection.
    By the way I hope you all have faraday cage wallets to stop the chips being remotely scanned for identity theft. I am told it is currently not easy to read them at a distance due to technical details with sensitivity but these limitations are fast being overcome. For example from one bag to another in carry on or from one jacket to another in the airliner wardrobe.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I thought one of the drivers for the E Passport readers was the reduced need for immigration staff. From what I have seen in T3, the new “fancy gates” have more staff swanning around and are a lot slower to operate than IRIS.

I know its been said on many threads, but how I long for a UK only passport only line!!

RichHI1
    Participant

But Martyn that means you are not a true European…. join the club. Unfortunately the UK prime minister and his Liberal colleagues attach more importance to European Integration than they do to the benefit of the UK electorate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls