Impact of Coronavirus on Air Travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 313 total)

• GivingupBA
    Participant

I flew nonstop from Heathrow to Seoul late last week on an A350. There were 39 passengers on the flight (I walked around the whole plane to count them at 2 AM) – 9 in business, 30 in economy. Heathrow was quiet. Seoul airport (Incheon) was very, very quiet, with everyone wearing a mask.

capetonianm
    Participant

One of the airlines’ major costs in the past has been fuel, the price of which has been blamed on bankruptcies and cutbacks.
    Now we have the oil price close to a 15 year low but the airlines couldn’t fill more flights even if they engaged in a price war.
    Oh, the irony!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=992919][/postquote]

Isn’t that a slight over-reaction?

People have been enjoying cruises for decades. Now we have an acute global virus including 3 or 4 ships that have been affected.

And we jump to the conclusion that no-one should ever set foot on a ship again?

Bizarre.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=992919]In all seriousness you wouldn’t so why even consider on getting on a boat ever again?[/quote]

For me “Dr K1ngston”, cruising, especially on a ‘back to back Atlantic crossing’, is my perfect way to relax. 14 days at sea, without having to step foot on land (except 6 hours in NYC).

This upcoming Scandinavian jaunt, was booked a year ago, involved a group of friends celebrating some major milestones…. the current whisper, although not yet confirmed, is we will be able to cancel and rebook within a year…. I cant see how sharing space with 5,000 passengers + probably a further 2,500 crew, can be considered medically healthy or safe.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=992919][/postquote]

Great. Another reasoned argument. I don’t like it ‘cos I’ve never tried it

To get the best cabins, which are also the most expensive, you need to book about a year in advance. We booked in April 2019. It is not like cheap hotels on last minute. If you can show me any evidence that Corona-virus was expected back in April 19 I shall make a significant donation to a charity of your choice. I am sure that Martyn will also.

By the way, I was in Wuhan in mid January and Corona-virus was possibly known about by a few, including the ophthalmologist, but no general knowledge until I was already there. Wuhan is a nice city, with some very good hotels, and a massive airport. Wait a while and go and see. There is a lot to see in Hubei.

Apologies for keeping off topic, but K1ngston’s post needed a reply.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=992942]One of the airlines’ major costs in the past has been fuel, the price of which has been blamed on bankruptcies and cutbacks.
    Now we have the oil price close to a 15 year low but the airlines couldn’t fill more flights even if they engaged in a price war.
    Oh, the irony![/quote]

Yes, ironic. Most airlines hedge their purchase price for as far in advance as possible though so few will see any cost benefit.

Norwegian is in the news again, fears for its ability to survive.

Norwegian under scrutiny amid concerns over carrier’s debt pile

It is interesting to see the varying degrees of government action (or inaction) as I travel around. I recently had a trip to Delhi and was surprised at how seriously the authorities there are taking it. Before immigration there was a health check. You had to complete a health check form and have your temperature taken individually (instead of those mass camera kind of ones you just walk past). There was a border control of about ten ‘health care professionals’ going over every form. Interestingly every single one of these ‘health professionals’ was wearing a face mask and many people around Delhi were also wearing them (although I guess with the pollution there they serve a double purpose!).

In Singapore I was shocked how relaxed people seemed. The majority did not have face masks including immigration officials. There was no health question form upon entering the country. The hotels have been tasked with issuing travellers with the health forms and gathering contact details. Arrive at hotel – temperature taken. Go to gym – temperature taken. Go to breakfast buffet – temperature taken. And of course Singapore doesn’t mess around when it comes to law and order. Anyone coming from a list of countries with cold/flu like symptoms aren’t ‘asked’ to self isolate, it is enfored.

And the UK. Last Monday I landed in LHR from Milan which was just a couple days after the whole Italian epidemic broke. I fully expected that the UK authorities would at least have a form for passengers to complete with contact details, or declaring any symptoms. Nada. Walked off the plane from Milan and into the UK just as always.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992953][/postquote]

Maybe the virus has attacked your sense of irony Faroflyer…. The tongue that was planted deep in my cheek seems lost on you, may I refer to a suggestion I gave earlier, go to a bar have a drink and decompress ….. Jeez!!!

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992944][/postquote]

Simon for someone who likes to press a few buttons, you need to chill, I hear getting hot under the collar is where the virus breeds 🙂 people lighten up!!

MarcusGB
    Participant

I recommend that people watch this evening’s NewsNight, with the Experts of Virology, and Intensive care Medicine, with Emily Maytless.
    Discussion and analysis was clear as always on this excellent program, that focuses on just a few major in depth news items a day.

They as I, and all of us having entered the UK from Overseas, are simply shocked by the lack of guarding the UK Borders and Ports, without any checks whatsoever.
    People are coming in, from most parts of The World, and being simply told after landing by a crew announcement, “Self isolate if you feel these symptoms.”
    On my return from Asia and other colleagues who are cancelling travels, hand gels are not being used by arriving passengers, and health checks not being made. We do not even know the movements through what countries anyone has had.
    This happening in Mid January in Australia.

I see No Nurses or Medical staff, temperature checking, no signs, no information leaflets.
    Our Country is an Open Door to this virus!
    The owners of the airports are being grossly irresponsible, probably for financial motivations, as well as poor government advice.

The Epidemiologist indicated every 4-5 days, cases will double in the UK.
    Look at the numbers of deaths in Italy, running at around 10%, overall average 3-4%.

Boris Johnson was flagged by the two Chief Medical adviser for the UK and Scientific adviser, indicating within 7-10 days, there will need to be severe restrictions.
    Even those expressing mild cold like symptoms will be told to “self Isolate”.
    Hospitals are gearing up to maximise ITU beds, WHICH, will be allocated on a Triage basis, those most likely to recover from the Virus will get these beds. This means , people with underlying health conditions, of an older age, may well be designated as not entitled to access them, and we can see where that will lead too.
    We need Urgently and Now, to discharge many beds in Hospitals, whey they are Blocked with a Force of Community support, professional or Volunteers, who are blocking the available beds, to be cared for at home, many of who are elderly and at risk.
    We need Hospital’s bed once and for all having and an output, and the Social Care Emergency, taking up Acute medical crisis beds, sorted.

Of course let us look after our older people, those who have worked hard to enable our society to be here and us as we are today, now frail and vulnerable.

But, Let us not forget the disabled, the long term sick in this country, and many people who have immune or neurological or Respiratory diseases, who already have complicated lives. they are most at risk, yet less likely on Triage to be deemed to recover. Can we also please remember, those with mental health issues who are alone, ill informed, unsupported. The Homeless, already a dire example of how we treat vulnerable people, how easy it would be to use the thousands of vacant shops and industrial premises around the UK, to give them protection, advice and shelter in what is now set to become an Health emergency, we will not have seen in our lifetimes before?

Travel may well be suspended, and Airlines though as mentioned low oil prices, with incredibly small demand, as hotels not booked or cancelled.
    Air travel, could take the greatest hit in out lifetimes, if they are not already, and many will not survive commercially.

The time for Carry on and Keep Calm, has gone.
    We must anticipate what has already happened in other Countries, now over 100 affected.

Shockingly also, we must consider “What cover will i get if i need a test, become ill, or have to self isolate when in an affected country, or one that imposes entry restrictions?”
    Will you get back into the UK if you leave, and borders are closed?

Australia were requiring 14 days quarantine in January prior to entry, and certification of not having travelled through certain countries.
    Then you would need a further 14 days isolation at a designated Government facility.
    Excellent strict Management for their Country and Borders.
    We have not and are not taking the same precautions.

Personally, i shall not be travelling for many months by Air, and leaving the UK, with one of the best Healthcare systems, at least geared up for this type of epidemic, with Logistical support from out Police and Armed services, and ITU and Emergency medicine at least in the Health Service.
    If we do, you may have to fund your own health care costs, isolation, reporting to poorer Government regimes, and quarantined under their laws.
    Those of us now in the UK, would be very wise to consider what care they would need to pay for, and restrictions to transit through other countries, and is possible, entry back if allowed.

This is now a Health Emergency and will become apparent in the coming week.
    Travel must be monitored on entry to the UK, the clusters from cities indicating they are all flown in, and communities affected by these arrivals.

Why are we not securing and monitoring our Borders, at Airports Now?!!
    Air travel is going to face massive challenges and draw to a halt, with a very complex varying regulations country to country.
    Insurers will Not cover if you choose to travel, you will be under laws and restrictions of that country, whatever Healthcare system they have, AND , it will not be without payment for your own treatment, including for your own self isolation. If you are somewhere that has what you need.
    You may well be refused re-entry to come if not your own country.

this is what is ahead, and it is days before it is implemented by the UK, Europe more broadly.
    Indications on NewsNight, already indicate a World financial recession is underway.
    Life is going to change drastically, and travel highly inadvisable like we have never seen before for the foreseeable future!

rferguson
    Participant

Massive changes at QF through to at least Sept.

SIN-LHR-SIN canned (from APR 20). A SYD-PER-LHR flight on a 787 will replace the A380 via SIN.

Two thirds of the A380 fleet grounded. SYD-LAX will become the only A380 route.

QF SIN lounge closed.

MEL/BNE-SFO suspended. BNE-ORD launch delayed. SYD-DFW switched from A380 to 787. MEL-LAX switched from A380 to 787.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

With news that the EU has agreed to relax the ‘use it or lose it’ slot rule I can imagine we will see announcements from BA and Virgin very soon regarding substantial capacity cuts. Especially Virgin who were quite publicly complaining about being ‘forced to fly ghost flights’.

Pure speculation here, but in BA’s case I would guess it would make sense to ground the 747’s first as these are the least fuel efficient long haul aircraft and are also outright owned by the airline. I’d imagine the 787’s and A380’s with costly leases they’d want to keep flying. Although many airlines are grounding their A380’s I think in BA’s case they may come in useful as it will allow BA to consolidate several flights into one.

rferguson
    Participant

So, this has been sent to me by a friend that has a friend that flies for Norwegian (see image). With all the ‘fake news’ going around on the internet I can not claim to its authenticity but combined with all the other articles in the press and its already precarious financial position it would make sense.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=992995]Simon for someone who likes to press a few buttons, you need to chill, I hear getting hot under the collar is where the virus breeds 🙂 people lighten up!![/quote]

Really? Why would you make a comment starting “In all seriousness you wouldn’t so why even consider on getting on a boat ever again?” if it was not intended seriously?

I’m not really sure it’s a subject for jokes anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

BA has announced suspension of the LCY-JFK ‘babybus’ route. It is expected a swathe of further cancellations will be made later today.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 313 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls