Impact of Coronavirus on Air Travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 313 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

A new development was seen yesterday at TLV.

A KAL flight from ICN to TLV arrived but it was reported that the 200 or so non-Israeli passengers were not allowed to disembark.

[COVID-19] 200 non-Israelis from a plane which arrived from South Korea refused entry into Israel

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TupeloKid
    Participant

Our office in Hong Kong has 100% attendance each Monday, and we then work out the balance between working from home and being in the office for the week, with about 2/3 of people in each day for Tuesday to Thursday. We maintain full service coverage.

Some of the restaurants (Wanchai area) are still reasonably full for breakfast and lunch, others noticeably quieter. The places I have been to in the evenings have been fairly – but not very – busy. But this includes the FCC, where presumably its members are busy concocting anti-China and anti-HK articles.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A danish friend of mine told me SAS have cancelled flights into Milan. Northern Italy is now badly affected with schools being closed, trains turned back by the Austrians, and the Swiss are 50/50 on closing the border with Italy. junior Pirate hoping they’ll close his school in Lugano!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

We were going to see a friend near San Remo, but for other reasons decided not to go, and just got this note from her :
    “I think it is better you don’t come to Italy. They have closed all schools and universities as well as sports events due to Corona virus. The Menton mayor was talking of closing border to Italy.”
    Sounds as if this thing is really getting legs.

Going back to an earlier posting :

A KAL flight from ICN to TLV arrived but it was reported that the 200 or so non-Israeli passengers were not allowed to disembark.

Knowing how organised and sensitive the Israelis are, I am amazed that the flight was even given clearance to depart from ICN, let alone land in TLV.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=991284][/postquote]

Does it mean that race or religion can protect you against the disease? I have to say i am shocked by this segregation!

capetonianm
    Participant

I think the point is that the Israelis were willing to look after their own citizens but not the others. In some ways that is not an unreasonable stance, although many would find fault with it.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=991382][/postquote]

This could make sense had the Israelis been quarantined. But they were sent back home. So it is segregation.

capetonianm
    Participant

Swissdiver : The article states that the Israeli passengers were quarantined :

The health ministry added that the aircraft was made to return to South Korea, after the 12 Israeli passengers on board were taken away in ambulances waiting at Tel Aviv to be quarantined.

I’m still curious as to why the flight was given clearance, as the Israeli authorities would have had the passenger list and details before the flight was airborne out of Seoul.

Swissdiver
    Participant

J Post reads

Twelve Israelis were allowed off the plane and transported home in Magen David Adom ambulances.

But never mind. I am curious too about the clearance…

capetonianm
    Participant

Interesting difference between the two reports, and I wonder which is true since they appear to be contradictory.

SimonS1
    Participant

UAE has banned travel to Iran and Bangkok.

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-outbreak/coronavirus-outbreak-uae-bans-travel-to-thailand-iran-amid-covid-19-concerns

But Emirates is still flying to China….

Sounds like things are moving quite fast now and efforts to contain things are starting to fail.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thank you to the contributors to this seriously developing issue.

Travelling through Asia, many hotels are empty, tourism minimal, and travel Bans are spreading now to Middle East and some countries refusing flights from Italy.
    The centre of the outbreak in Europe is very worrying, especially as so many countries have no borders that they could close. free movement no borders also means uncontrolled in this context, unless you are an island.

Air crews are wearing face masks on board, which we know are pretty ineffective as experts have indicated, but i respect it is their workplace, with a higher risk. Many places in Asia and Australia have run out of face masks. Unless it is a Hospital standard one, they are ineffective, but people are cashing in on selling them!!!

Having been in Australia, they are managing this situation in e very sensible constructive way, even though some may feel it is harsh.
    Off chore Island quarantine has been established, but also a Darwin based former Mining Village has been re-opened.
    University students, over 100,000 Chinese, have not been able to attend the beginning of studies by entering Australia, TV news have stated. 1.4 Million tourists, or 16% of tourism is from China.

Many flights have been suspended, and Tourism remains downwards, air travel demand poor. Being one Large Island, they have a natural border, and the only few ways in are by Air, or sea. It is probably one of the safest countries and parts of The World at this time, and able to manage better.

Hotels are at very low capacity, few bookings, and many cancellations. Group travels are bing cancelled.

Cruise ships are being carefully monitored, and it would be one of the most risky selections of travel forms to choose at this stage, with thousands on these large vessels in such a small space.
    I have great sympathy with those who have been caught up on them, around The World.

A flight from Africa – Alitalia, has been turned around and people refused entry i hear!

This matter is growing more serious, beginning to have all related Travel and Tourism related Business affected, and the GDP of countries immediately
    It has, and will cut back Airlines and their profits, perhaps some their survival as they operate now, and cut back their size.

Until the Governments Worldwide grab hold of this, i shall certainly be cutting my travel back long haul.
    Meetings, conferences are cancelled, and even people told to “Work from Home”.
    This is on the edge of being declared a Pandemic according to the WHO.
    The situation grows more serious daily.

We all need to keep aware of what is happening, and make careful decisions, until we see a drop of infections and Management capability of this Virus.
    It has not reached anywhere near its heights.

What are your feelings on your plans to travel?

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am pushing on or attempting to, going to New Zealand – Australia on Saturday but have needed to push back my planned UK trip from 12th March tentatively to the end of the month because of the difficulty of confirming planned appointments in the UK.
    As Tom alluded to earlier in this thread there seems to be real reluctance in Brits wanting to meet people who have been recently in Asia. On the other hand the New Zealanders and Australians don’t seem much concerned.
    I am not at all sure why the difference in attitude but find it interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 313 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls