ID for Domestic Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Thanks to all for the interesting feedback on both my questions.

Iain
    Participant

I needed to fly from Glasgow to London recently and my passport was at the Chinese embassy awaiting a visa, so I worried that I may be denied boarding. Instead I took my driving licence for the domestic trip, but no ID was requested by BA.

I think the need for a passport may be excessive on domestic flights, but it seems rather bizarre than an obvious control procedure to enhance security is being missed given the hoops passengers are required to jump through at security screening areas.

travelsforfun
    Participant

My understanding is that there is no Government requirement for ID for UK domestic (or indeed UK-Irish) flights but that some airlines require it as a blanket rule for all their flights – typically the low-cost airlines – because a) their business model is based on simplicity – and applying the same rule for all flights, domestic or international is easiest and b) because it would otherwise circumvent their pricing model if it was that easy to transfer your ticket/boarding pass to another person. BA, bmi and Virgin Atlantic Little Red don’t/didn’t require ID for domestic flights (unless checking-in luggage).

This is also why some UK airports – notably Heathrow and Gatwick – which have mixed domestic and international domestic departures now take your photo when travelling domestically, to check that it’s the same person entering security and going to the gate.

It’s very often the case that no ID is requested for intra-Schengen flights – though in that case, one should carry ID as Governments reserve the right to check.

1nfrequent
    Participant

Thank you for all the replies. I can’t work out if I’m reassured that this seems to be normal or a little worried. It does seem a bit of an obvious area for exploitation if you’re intent on doing something nefarious. I’ve got a couple more domestic flights booked before the end of the year so I’ll make sure I’ve got my passport with me just in case.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=773718]I think hotels are required to ask for ID if the guest is from oversees. The only way they can verify this is to ask everyone as someone with an English accent, may still reside overseas.
    [/quote]

The Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972 says

4.โ€”(1) Every person of or over the age of 16 years who stays at any premises to which this Order applies shall, on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of his full name and nationality.

(2) Every such person who is an alien shall alsoโ€”

(a)on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of the number and place of issue of his passport, certificate of registration or other document establishing his identity and nationality; and

(b)on or before his departure from the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of his next destination and, if it is known to him, his full address there.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1972/1689/pdfs/uksi_19721689_en.pdf

Note – the Order does not mention showing ID, only informing full name and nationality and in the case of aliens, the number and place of issue of his passport, certificate of registration or other document establishing his identity and nationality.

I had a comedian at a LGW hotel ask for my passport, because I had written a non-UK address and told him very directly what he could do with his ‘request’. I still stayed there, that night.

The morale is, know your laws and statutes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@FDoS – many thanks for the research. I have now printed off the legislation and will keep it with the print off of my ESTA, to show to check in staff when asked for ID in the UK… ๐Ÿ™‚

Alternatively, I could just show my passport of driving license…

For the record, I wish we had compulsory ID for all UK citizens….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just flew Business Port Elizabeth to JNB and we were not asked for ID on boarding (though it was shown at check in) but as I went through they started economy boarding and everyone was asked to be ready with boarding pass and ID!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls