ID for Domestic Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• 1nfrequent
    Participant

I recently did a back-to-back domestic HBO return flight LHR to NCL and although I had my passport with me as I always carry it when flying (just a habit more than anything), it only occurred to me afterwards that at no point at LHR or NCL was I ever asked to produce it. It’s the first time I’ve done a HBO fare so I don’t know if that’s typical or not (I usually have to produce it if checking in bags) but I had thought someone would want to see it at the gate.

I was just wondering if any of you more frequent flyers had experience of this or thoughts – is this typical for HBO flights? I think the reason it bothered me is that it seems like a bit of a hole in the security arrangements. I know that ID can only help an investigation after an event rather than stop one but it seems a bit bizarre if you can get airside by printing out a boarding pass that no one verifies you should have.

Interested to know thoughts.

1F

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

It seems to depend on the airline policy or handling agents. I travel extensively in the UK by flight, BA never ask for any photo ID at T5 or MAN at the gate, BMI (used to) Flybe always do.
    On one occasion when BMI was still operating I was waiting in the lounge at LHR T1 for a Man flight which was severely delayed, I decided to leave the lounge and go back to departures road side for a cigarette. Coming back though security the guy asks me for my passport, don’t have one I say I am only going to Man, yes you do he says, no I don’t, then you cannot get passed me without a passport.

Having done this trip every week for 13 years, I think I was better qualified than he was to know what I do and don’t need, demanded the Manager to attend who immediately apologized and let me through.

My most bizarre was just after 9/11, arriving in SOU from MAN there was a big line to get into the terminal from the apron, I am then met by a police officer demanding my passport, which I did not have, and in that case you cannot enter. You know I just got of that plane 50 feet away which came from Man why do I have to produce a passport. Anti-Terror I am told. OK I appreciate matters are still sensitive officer, but do you have road blocks on every road leading into Hampshire today checking ID, and stopping every train at the county border for the same. Come with me sir, he then holds me in the terminal for 20 minutes after which I tell him I am leaving unless he has grounds to hold me further. I have and always will respect security for mine and everyone’s safety but this was just too stupid.

I agree with you though it’s inconsistent so best to be prepared.

TominScotland
    Participant

Interesting discussion, recently covered in the Australian context in another post by rferguson. BA domestic never look for identification when you are not transferring internationally or checking luggage. Other airlines operating domestically in the UK do require identification – EZY, FR and BE – not sure about Eastern etc.

This probably means that you can travel on someone else’s reservation, provided that they are same gender?

ontherunhome
    Participant

Not a flight ID request but at a London Hotel. I checked in to the Park Plaza on the Albert Embankment.Staff person asked for photo ID either a passport or driving licence. I had them but refused out of principal, stating there is no reason under UK law for you to request this, his reply was it is company policy.
    I still refused and was allocated a room anyway.
    Waste of my time and just another stupid way to wind up guests.By the way i will never stay or recommend this hotel, dreadful service and so up their own , you know where.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t think BA requires any ID unless checking bags.

Other airlines mostly do but any photo ID should suffice – driving license etc.

On the cases above, sadly you will always cine across jobsworths who think they know best. If in a rush often its less hassle to suck it up. If you have time then stand your ground and as demonstrated above you will win your point.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Having spent most of my working life in the US, where it wouldn’t surprise me if one day ID is needed to buy a pizza, I just take it for granted that everywhere needs me to show it. It is still a huge surprise now I live in the U.K again to not show any to get through security.
    I have been asked for ID in hotels in several countries and wonder sometimes if it might be
    to verify that I am not using someone else’s credit card – but of course it also might be for no valid reason at all. Does anyone know who does have the right to ask for ID in the U.K.?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think hotels are required to ask for ID if the guest is from oversees. The only way they can verify this is to ask everyone as someone with an English accent, may still reside overseas.

I fall on the side of if I am asked for ID, I will give – without an argument. There are now buildings in the ciry (Gherkin for one) that require ID before letting you in.

As for who has the RIGHT to ask for ID, now there’s a question… 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

My experience of flying within the UK is as follows……

Legacy full fare carriers (BA-BD- VS) never ever asked for photo ID at any airport I only required my boarding pass and my confirmation, or as a backup my Diamond Club card.

On the other hand, every LCC flight I’ve been on, including BMI Baby has required me to use photo ID. Normally my passport.
    Having said that, I had to travel at very short notice down to SOU and tried to check-in at the FlyBe counter at EDI without photo ID. After a bit of a discussion they accepted my BD Gold Card as proof enough to travel.

And on another note, my colleague successfully travels to Eire using just his works pass!

nevereconomy
    Participant

I remember well when US citizens could go to Canada and most of the Caribbean on just a driver’s
    licence!

nevereconomy
    Participant

A question out of interest (and apologies, also out of forum), but all of us posting at this time of day – are we retired, in another time zone, or like me self-employed and can work until
    9 pm or catch up at 4 am if we want to spend some time on this in the pm ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It was interesting to read G&T’s comments about police asking for ID. In Switzerland and most of Europe if a policeman asks for ID they will not accept no for an answer and you are obliged to show it.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=773723]A question out of interest (and apologies, also out of forum), but all of us posting at this time of day – are we retired, in another time zone, or like me self-employed and can work until
    9 pm or catch up at 4 am if we want to spend some time on this in the pm ?

[/quote]

Nevereconomy. Yes to all three 😉 In my case anyway!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@neverineconomy

1. Depends on the day of the week whether I am retired or not
    2. UK time zone (today)
    3. Self employed

MrMichael
    Participant

@MartynSinclair. Everyone has the right to ask for you to show ID, but everyone has the right to refuse. However any business or organisation can refuse to serve you or allow you entry if you refuse. For example if you go in to a bank to open account you will be asked for ID, if you don’t show it they won’t allow you to open an account. If you go in a bar, same applies, although generally they are trying to weed out under 18’s, if asked and you refuse, they can refuse to serve you. If BA made it clear that photo I’d is required for their internal flights and you don’t have it……they can refuse you boarding. The only exception I can think of where you are legally obliged to produce ID and “no” is not an option is border force at or near a border. The police do not have a right to demand ID, they can ask, you can refuse.

thecartoonman
    Participant

Slightly off topic, but a few years ago we were staying at a Premier Inn for 3 nights while attending the Goodwood Festival of Speed, for the last night by brother-in-law joined us and on check in I tried to pay for his room in cash, the modest sum of £55.

The receptionist looked at the cash and said can you not pay with a card? No, I wanted to pay with ‘notes of the realm’, not sure they understood what these were and then said okay, but we need to see ID, did I have a passport (no), did I have a utility bill (no), a bank statement (no), a council tax bill (no), at which point I enquired why was this needed, then out came the old chestnut, it’s all about money laundering regulations, this for a £55 hotel room.

When I enquired that when we went to the restaurant later and had a few ‘snifters’ and 3 meals and then paid cash, would we experience the same issues, no, it’s different in the restaurant, seemingly money laundering does not take place in a Beefeater, but is all the rage just next door in the Premier Inn.

As it happened, dinner was cut short since the Chef seemingly punched the Manager, probably over a disagreement over the microwaves and the meals were ‘on the house’, so the £10k I had in my briefcase stayed where it was.

So, in future to avoid these ID checks at Premier Inn’s I have always paid with a card, in the end they just grind you down, though I have often felt of slapping down a wad of notes and then produce a raft of supporting ID documents, though I would imagine the whole scenario would be completely lost on everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls