I’d appreciate advice / guidance on returning from an ‘orange’ country

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

Arriving from an orange country, I am aware that the UK currently requires one to have ‘pre booked’ & therefore very likely ‘pre paid’ for covid tests on day 2 and day 8 of one’s return.

I am planning to fly into the UK from an orange country, pick up my car, and depart by Eurotunnel, either on the same day, or early the next morning (using a negative PCR test that is less than 72 hours old).

Can anyone please advise me how I get around NOT having to book a covid test for days 2 and 8 ? and still be allowed in by UK authorities.

Thank you in advance

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Hi Bullfrog,

I have checked this although not all of the fine print yet, as it will not be an issue for me for a few weeks yet and things may change. But it certainly seems you have to pre-book and pre-pay the day 2 & 8 tests, whether or not you need them or use them. This applies, even if you are leaving within the period or if you take advantage of the day 5 ‘test to release’ option. Also, if you return a positive on day 2, you do not need to take the test on day 8, although the advice is silent on whether the cost of this test is refunded. I presume not.

The guidance specifically allows you to leave quarantine at any point if the purpose is to leave the UK, but there is also no reference there to a waiver or refund.

So it is a very unfair system but I assume based on the premise that, if you do travel, it is important enough to you and you will take it on the chin.

If anyone else can confirm/expand on my knowledge, please do though. I am also keen to know the definitive answer.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CocktailMike
    Participant

You have to quarantine for 10 days – you cant get away with leaving the country the same or next day

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100761]

Travelling to a port/airport to leave the country is allowed. You Quarantine for however many days (or hours) you are in the UK, but you definitely do not have to stay for 10 days. I had to check this one in December when I came over for 2.5 days and the policy has not changed.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100764]

I believe that heading from the airport to my home, and then from home to Eurotunnel is ok, even if it is same day or next.

The issue is how I can get into the UK (with a negative PCR test), without having to fork out paying in advance for a ‘day 2 & day 8 test’.

ASK1945
    Participant

Earlier today I suggested that your answer is awaiting you in the UK-gov website, and posted a direct link. For some unknown reason my post has been stuck awaiting moderation for hours.

ASK1945
    Participant

I don’t understand why you are relying on advice from this Forum when your question is clearly laid out on the UK government’s website:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-the-uk

Anyway, what is an “orange” country? I assume you mean Red or Amber. The website describes the rules for both.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello ASK1945.
    I try and work for only a couple of hours each weekend.
    Reason is no longer unknown.

4 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just for clarity – having re-checked the official position – there is no legal way you can avoid pre-paying for the 2 tests, even though you will not be taking either of them. You can debate, a la MS Windows, whether this is a feature of or a bug in the system. ASK1945 is correct to the extent that the info is all there at the gov.uk website, although not at the link he has provided (as you are not a transiting passenger). As with much of the advice though, some is buried quite deeply in the small print.

The only possible way of avoiding the requirement would be if you fall into any of the exemption categories which are listed, in terms of your employment.

anyonebutba
    Participant

Hi Bullfrog

as with anything there is always a work around 🙂 working within NHS T&T myself, i found an option to satisfy the border control, and myself.

collinson group offer a day 2 & 8 package for £198, however they require you t pay on arrival for the day 2 test, so with this in mind, I was able to enter the UK with the testing package “booked” and as I left the next day I simply didn’t show up, and I lost nothing as I didn’t pre pay for it. collinson of course is a GOVT approved testing facility , hope this helps.

anyonebutba
    Participant

@CocktailMike

You have to quarantine for 10 days – you cant get away with leaving the country the same or next day

you are incorrect, you have to quarantine for the time you are in the UK, but are perfectly free to leave at anytime,!!!

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100781]

when you refer to transit, the transit rules assume you remain airside at the same port of entry, and do not enter the UK!! if yu enter the UK then this rule does not apply

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

No need to prebook the PCR tests if in transit for days 2 and 8. All on the link:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-the-uk

When you transit through the UK
    You do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on arrival or on day 2 and day 8.

This applies if you are transiting ‘airside’ or ‘landside’.

There are different rules for Scotland.

If you are transiting landside (entering the UK from outside the Common Travel Area), you must be entering the UK for the sole purposes of continuing a journey to a country outside of the Common Travel Area. You must either:

remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
    travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

So when you land you’ll probably need to show proof of Eurotunnel reservation and complete the passenger locator form.

Fair2380
    Participant

The key will be being able to complete the pax locator form without the reference codes for the Days 2&8 COVID bookings.

And so anyonebutba’s suggestion is your best bet in my view. Technically, you have to complete the form before you board the flight and thus the airline may deny you boarding without it. The rule on ‘transit’ is sufficiently vague that some airlines might accept and some might not (much easier if you were flying somewhere else). So better to just complete the form with the prebooked tests and then not have to pay.

agsteele
    Participant

I could share my understanding but I won’t. What matters is the understanding of the Border officials at the port of entry. Whatever the individual you meet understands is what you will have to undertake. If he/she determines that you should have pre-booked a set of PCR tests then that is what you will have to demonstrate. If you are not able to satisfy whetever regulation is being applied then you will be subject to the penalty that the official determines.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls