I’d appreciate advice / guidance on returning from an ‘orange’ country

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

I would certainly be cautious about relying on staff at Heathrow accepting that you are ‘in transit’. Whilst it is a slightly elastic term, that cuts both ways. In your original post, you indicated that you would be going to pick up your car, before proceeding to the Chunnel. In most interpretations, this would therefore not be a direct transit, in accordance with most definitions. Transit is usually quite tightly controlled and requires a ‘point to point’ move, with no deviation. You could try showing your pre-booked ticket for the tunnel but I am doubtful that would satisfy immigration staff under normal circumstances. It’s most usually used for Heathrow/Gatwick transfers though can also be Heathrow/Eurostar provided your ticket has a specific departure time within the permitted transit window.

anyonebutba’s proposal definitely looks the best option to me, if you can ensure that you can properly register the tests on your locator form, without actually paying up front. This seems to contradict the official advice (which says tests must be pre-paid), but if one of the approved testing companies is not requiring pre-payment, then more fool them!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Fair2380
    Participant

Can share my experience having passed through LHR T5 from Spain earlier this week….

The only people who checked my pax locator form and negative PCR were BA check in at BCN and then again at the boarding gate. At LHR, I was able to use the e-Gates for passport scan only as were all EU/ UK/ other eligible countries. Bizarrely only 4 e-Gates were open resulting in a 30-40 minutes wait (and an arrival hall full of non socially distanced pax). From what I could see, there were some random checks being conducted by border force (but can’t say for sure). It seems as though they are following the US model – I.e., putting responsibility on the airline and just checking a few pax at the border (unless you need your passport stamped).

The NHS Test & Trace team called me yesterday to make sure I was isolating and I will be tested today and at Day 5 (to release) and then again at Day 8. I could not complete my pax locator form without providing reference codes for these tests (which I actually pre-paid for) and there is certainly no way BA would have accepted me for travel without the completed form.

I THINK the only test that has to be pre-paid is the optional Day 5 one (test to release) but, tbh, the whole thing is very confusing and I don’t actually think anyone knows what the rules really are. I asked the lady from Test and Trace what happened if my Day 5 test (the one they say is optional and must be paid for) wasn’t delivered in time and she said that I could just call 119 and get a free one!

Bottom line: if you can complete the pax locator form to the point of an acceptable QR code (which I think needs valid test reference numbers) and have your negative PCR, you’ll be fine. If not, I doubt any airline will let you on……but you never know!

Good luck!

miningguy
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a decent Day 2 & 8 PCR test? I used Alphabiolabs and only 1 of the kits every arrived. The NHS helpline ended up sending us a kit FOC (very helpful indeed). I still dread receiving some automated fine for not completing.

Fair2380
    Participant

I used Rightandled which were pretty hopeless in their communications but the three tests did all show up. That said, I took one on Saturday and not got the result yet!

Don’t worry about the fines. So long as you communicate to the Test and Trace people what is going on, you’re fine. As you found, they’ll replace the tests when they don’t arrive. The people I have spoken to said that it is very rare that tests from private providers arrive on time and so they just need to be kept advised so they can send you a new FOC test as necessary.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Just to confirm transit with a different point of entry and departure is not problematic provided you have the correct documentation to show onward details. Had a few clients do this where change of airports / modes of transport are required with no issues at all.

miningguy
    Participant

I will look them up. Did you do the “test to release” with them? If so, did that arrive on time and did you get the results back in a timely manner? I am tempted to try the “test to release” on my return shortly but I am worried it will just be a waste of money if I end up waiting days for the results….

TonyR
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101301]

I used Screen4.org. Very good and a good price. Everything an like clockwork from test deliveries to results.

TonyR
    Participant

What a wonderful illustration this thread is of the dangers of asking on social media. Everyones’ answers wrong other than ASK1945 ! Why do people feel the urge to post answers when they don’t know? Just follow the clear advice on the gov.uk website and you’ll be fine. 🙄

miningguy
    Participant

So on my return this time, I used RT Diagnostics (one of the many on the g’ment website). Their communications were non-existant for delivery times etc but the kits did arrive ontime and results arrived within a few days. So all in all they “did the job”.

For the 5 day test to release, I opted to go to my local Boots where they now offer it for £99 – I wanted to avoid a self test in case the results were inconclusive. My results came back within 24 hours. I was pretty satisfied with the service.

What I did notice with RT Diagnostics and Boots is you have to register with what appears to be the same website. The user experience is pretty poor and seems designed for mobile.

nigelchism
    Participant

We had a visitor from Poland to our office this week. He flew in on a private jet and – it seems – no need to quarantine as he was returning the same day!

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1103675]

He would probably have been treated as a transit passenger. Even if you’re transiting “landside” you don’t need to quarantine after arrival in the UK.

It’s interesting to note that there’s no specified time limit on how long your period of transit can be. It appears that as long as you have another flight booked out of the country you’re exempt from the need to quarantine, and for the “day 2” and “day 8” Covid tests.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls