I want to contact somebody at Monarch

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• TiredOldHack
    Participant

Splendid stuff. Thanks immensely. Another missive has been fired off to Monarch. I am also building a nice file for a feature article.

Tallinnman
    Participant

A bit of court action can only help the future article – time to get a bigger calibre weapon out and start proceedings. Sounds like they have a procrastination department to deal with correspondence.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Well, I have listed their changes of story, pointed out that the delay was not just the cracked windscreen but also the farce involving sorting out the baggage, cited the fact they they didn’t have the parts available, reminded them that they didn’t admit to either that nor the baggage delay until I prodded them, and have simply told them that I will issue legal proceedings unless they pay me, and that it will be a lot cheaper for them to settle now.

canucklad
    Participant

After reading FCW’s post, you’d think they would learn their lesson !

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Nope, they still say that despite the cracked windscreen case aired above, they aren’t liable.

Oh well: from here it goes legal.

Utterly amazing arrogance.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed, however nothing beats the satisfaction you will get from giving them a good dicking in court.

bananas55
    Participant

Hi tired old hack, in the fob off letter the last paragraph says something like
    ‘All flight delays are fully documented in accordance with the requirements of our regulator and the relevant legislation in place. Please note that this documentation cannot be disclosed to passengers nonetheless we actively supply this to the Civil Aviation Authority and National Enforcement Bodies upon request.’

Apparently the CAA have had not had a report filed
    x

nmh1204
    Participant

TOH, I would say they are liable, as it wouldn’t be extroadinary circumstances if it’s happened before. It appears that there were at least 12 (I just had a quick scan of it) incidents involving cracked windscreens in 2012. It appears that most of the aircraft were to/from LGW. If a company cannot adequately maintain aircraft, they should be held accountable.

Here is the link I found, which claims it was posted on Money Saving Expert.com. It was the first link that appeared when I searched ‘Monarch airlines cracked windscreen’

https://www.facebook.com/Monarch/posts/195106463946539

Edit, my mistake, I miscounted, there were 10, not 12

bananas55
    Participant

Reading through the letter they gave us at the airport , the first line says
    ‘Regrettably, due to a technical problem…….. blah blah”

So they admit at the time of the incident it was not an exceptional circumstance

Indeed 12 cracks/year, one a month is not exceptional more of a regular occurence…

TiredOldHack
    Participant

bananas55: so you were on the same flight that I was on, then? Fancy joining me in giving Monarch a hard time? Are you in touch with any other passengers?

Monarch told me that a Freedom of Information demand for maintenance records was inadmissible, as they are a private company (indeed, owned by one of the hardest Swiss family trusts), but I was thinking more of the CAA…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

TOH – you could ask Monarch under the Freedom of Information act for all data they hold about you and see what comes back. be warned, they have 8 weeks or so to provide the data… may be a waste of time, but it could include internal reports, already written which includes passenger names on those on board…

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Martyn – does the FOIA cover private companies? Monarch says No, but I suspect this is a smokescreen, and I only got back this weekend from my latest ski trip so haven’t checked.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My understanding of the Freedom of Information Act – is limited to the rights of individuals to obtain all information held by companies on data. Each company storing data, must appoint an Information Controller, who you should make the request to, accompanied by £10.

In some circumstances, the data is quite interesting….

This is the reference point…

http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection

bananas55
    Participant

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) gives you the right to ask any public sector organisation for the recorded information they have on any subject.

Anyone can make a request for information – there are no restrictions on your age, nationality or where you live.

Your request will be handled under different regulations depending on the kind of information you’re after, for example:

the Data Protection Act if you ask for information an organisation holds about yourself

bananas55
    Participant

this may be possible, I have written to the CAA – there was no incident reported on the delay for our flight, waiting to hear from monarch regarding the plane reg

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls