How Obese is acceptable?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

• MS
    Participant

[quote quote=925078]Firstly let me say I am no twiggy by any stretch but had a really uncomfortable experience recently and would appreciate all your views.

My husband and I were travelling to the UK from our new home in Phuket and actually the best deal both cost wise and time wise was with Cathay! As I am a lifetime Gold on BA (Yayy) I thought this was the best route to take. The flight was in Y as there was only one seat in PE (our preferred mode of travel) and we decided that we would travel in the same cabin

My husband prefers a window seat on a long haul flight and my preference is the aisle so we knew we would be separated by someone sitting in the middle seat and as we had boarded first we were getting settled when this huge ( and I am underestimating) guy waddled up and I knew almost immediately that he was destined to sit between us! I have to say I was quite rude when he asked me to get up and I suggested he had to be joking that there was no chance he was going to fit into the middle seat!

Anyway he laughed it off and even apologised for being so large and started to squeeze himself into the seat, which was impossible. I told the Stewardess who couldn’t do anything about it as the flight was full and said that we ( he) would have to manage. He found the best way was to put up the seat divider between me then his bulk almost fell onto my side of the seat… Now those who know me, will also know my patience is not what it used to be and I told him repeatedly to move over from my seat but he physically couldn’t.

The flight was relatively quick for those that know the HKG-LHR route at 11 hours but for me it was the longest 11 hours and he kept also getting up to stretch that bulk of course disturbing both my husband and I

I guess my question is, should Cathay or indeed any airline when seeing the size of a passenger insist that he/she pays for 2 seats ( he certainly used them both) and if there is no space bump them from a flight as a risk as he would go nowhere quickly in the event of an emergency?

My husband is a Cardio Thoracic ICU nurse and was very polite ( far more than I ) in telling him that he was a heart attack waiting to happen and this is also a concern should or if that were to happen how would anyone be able to deal with that?

Your thoughts welcome[/quote]

From your descriptive passage, you actually deserved to have an ‘obese man’ sit in between you and your ‘Cardio Thoracic ICU Nurse’ of a husband. Why do you look down on people? It doesn’t help the situation does it? Your comments weren’t constructive, rather it just shows you’re a nasty, inconsiderate person…..with a lifetime Gold on BA!

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Wasn’t a case brought against VS a few years ago, after a female passenger claimed she was injured sitting next to a “large” passenger on a transatlantic flight. From memory, she was forced into an even smaller space by his bulk.

On past flights, have always acceded to partner’s wishes for extra leg room due to his height, often forsaking a window for comfort. When I’ve travelled solo, always requested an aisle seat, as didn’t want to be trapped by any of the passenger types we have to contend with these days. Not experienced an obese passenger, but plenty of leg splayers, armrest hoggers, incessant foot tappers, etc, etc.

canucklad
    Participant

A quick question to K1ngston…. Was this a newly configured 10 across 777?

Was going to recount my thoughts but follow the link to pages 8 and 9 and you’ll know that my sympathies are with K1ngston.

However airlines are just as culpable as the the super sized individuals who purchase tickets. Simply because their greed forces us into mini sized seats.

K1ngston
    Participant

Yes Canucklad it was the 10 across configuration … most uncomfortable!

K1ngston
    Participant

I would like to address some of the comments addressed at my post yesterday. I have no issue with people vehemently disagreeing with the point I raised and would be happy to discuss it constructively but if you get personal then I feel I have to respond and quite frankly I dont care what or who you are keep your messages to yourself.

Skyhigh, ST1969, and especially Fr Dougal you dont know me and therefore you have absolutely no right to make comments like you did! At no time did we speak across the individual to be honest it was almost impossible to do so and besides it was a night flight and we should have been trying to sleep!

I am sure Forum etiquette will not allow me to truly vent my true feelings towards you trolls, so I will refrain, however Fr Dougal whoever or whatever you are make yourself known and I will be happy to have a “meaningful conversation” with you without hiding behind the internet! Speak to many on this forum who will tell you I am comfortable to debate openly and honestly about all issues!

Let me reiterate for you, as clearly it takes a few times for you to get it, he could not sit down in the space provided this is dangerous for him and for others if there had been an emergency, the conversation my husband had with him was light hearted and constructive. Now if anyone would like to debate this openly and honestly without reverting to gutter language I am more than happy to do so!

capetonianm
    Participant

The comments some have made along the lines of ‘stop being tight and book business class’ are unfair.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to afford this should have some sympathy for those whose budgets don’t stretch that far.

4 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

capetonianm I also made the point that our preferred mode of transport is PE which sadly was unavailable for us both so we elected to travel together in Economy …..

AlanOrton1
    Participant

You could have possibly done your bit for humankind and offered to swap with the larger person. He could then have had a little of the aisle as extra space, as needed.
    You both wouldn’t have then been disturbed when he got up and sat down.
    Referring to him as waddling, saying you were quite rude to him – doesn’t exactly make you come across as sympathetic. Poor bloke may well have felt awkward before boarding, I can’t imagine he felt much better once seated.

On a 10 across 777 in Y, this type of scenario is likely to become all the more common, especially with the increasing size of humans. (Check out the latest statistics on the percentage of overweight or obese people in the USA).
    I guess a question to be mindful of is, what is your airline’s policy on ‘customers of size’?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I always thought ‘obese’ meant ‘someone I don’t like who’s fatter than I am’.

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=925339]I would like to address some of the comments addressed at my post yesterday. I have no issue with people vehemently disagreeing with the point I raised and would be happy to discuss it constructively but if you get personal then I feel I have to respond and quite frankly I dont care what or who you are keep your messages to yourself.

Skyhigh, ST1969, and especially Fr Dougal you dont know me and therefore you have absolutely no right to make comments like you did! At no time did we speak across the individual to be honest it was almost impossible to do so and besides it was a night flight and we should have been trying to sleep!

I am sure Forum etiquette will not allow me to truly vent my true feelings towards you trolls, so I will refrain, however Fr Dougal whoever or whatever you are make yourself known and I will be happy to have a “meaningful conversation” with you without hiding behind the internet! Speak to many on this forum who will tell you I am comfortable to debate openly and honestly about all issues!

Let me reiterate for you, as clearly it takes a few times for you to get it, he could not sit down in the space provided this is dangerous for him and for others if there had been an emergency, the conversation my husband had with him was light hearted and constructive. Now if anyone would like to debate this openly and honestly without reverting to gutter language I am more than happy to do so![/quote]

I agree, we don’t know you but it’s your choice of words that paint you as a negative individual, one who thinks that they’re better than others (e.g. by stating your BA status, your husband’s job title, describing how he waddled, etc)….which you did it again by saying larger people are a danger when flying if there was an emergency?? If that was true and had an impact, wouldn’t have airline industries do more about it? I guess they don’t really see it as a safety issue.

Here’s the funny thing, you say that some people didn’t have any rights making certain comments….. but in your post, you did write ‘Your thoughts welcome’.

esselle
    Participant

Today l flew a short haul economy sector sitting in the aisle seat of the emergency exit row. The middle seat was empty, and the window seat was occupied by a delightful lady with whom l chatted at length throughout the journey.

Only relevant to the context of our environment however, is the fact that she was absolutely huge. I honestly don’t think she would have been able to get out of the overwing exit if she’d needed to. That fact seemed to have no impact on the crew.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MS

nevereconomy
    Participant

Having spent half of my now many years in the US, I have learned that obesity is only rarely the result of a medical condition.
    I therefore think it unacceptable that the extremities of another, being the result of their lifestyle choices, should come into contact with my person. I will not offer apologies for that point of view, but I do not think I would have been quite so pointedly self-righteous if faced with this situation. One 11 hour trip is a very short in a lifetime….the obese passenger in question clearly realised that his size would be an imposition, so I think (sincerely hope) I would have been sympathetic.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=925206]I think it’s quite straightforward-as a number of posters have said…. We don’t need to get into any discussion about causes of obesity or otherwise.[/quote]

That’s right – it’s quite straightforward – if I pay for a seat, I want to have all of that seat for myself.

I flew from JFK to LHR in economy years ago and the guy in the seat next to me was so large he took up half of my seat, yes exactly 50%, for the whole flight. It was very uncomfortable and very unpleasant for me – I was really squashed in and could not even sit properly. No other seats were available. What made it much worse was that he was clearly annoyed with me (I can’t imagine why: nothing I said or did) and kept really glaring at me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=925601]I honestly don’t think she would have been able to get out of the overwing exit if she’d needed to. That fact seemed to have no impact on the crew.[/quote]

This situation is totally unacceptable, and should not be allowed to happen , see below CAA regulations

Seats by emergency exits
    Some passengers may not be permitted to sit in a seat row next to an emergency exit. This is because if the emergency exit is needed, it is important the exit can be opened and the aircraft evacuated as quickly as possible.
    The following passengers are among those who should not be allocated, or directed to, seats by emergency exits:
    • Passengers with physical or mental impairment or disability to the extent that they would have difficulty in moving quickly if asked to do so.
    • Passengers who have significant sight or hearing impairment to the extent that it might be difficult for them to respond to instructions quickly.
    • Passengers who, because of age or sickness, have difficulty in moving quickly.
    • Passengers who, because of physical size, have difficulty in moving quickly.
    • Children (whether accompanied or not) and infants.
    • Passengers travelling with animals, for example assistance dogs.

Again because of airline greed these rules are being flouted in favour of chasing ancillary fees .
    And then not having the guts to confront people who have tried it on , in order to (rightly) avoid sitting in a space that cattle wouldn’t be allowed to occupy.
    By the way, not saying this was the case with this lady.

Henryp1
    Participant

Taking into account all the long time press about larger passengers must being able to fit into their allocated seat, I just don’t understand why anyone would accept the situation described should it be in any cabin. Why would the smaller passenger tolerate being in such a position and let the flight depart. It all seems strange. As for the language used describing the situation, it probably all boils down to how someone identifies within society and their respect for others. Within the narrative there are snippets of information which have no bearing on the actual situation.

But as has already been noted by another contributor, business and first do provide the space necessary for a comfortable journey, and we all travel within our business or personal budgets.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls