How much do I tip?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I guess you are right but against the cost of air fares these days, $5 isn’t a lot. My philosophy in life is do what you think is right.

PatJordan
    Participant

A few years ago, I had a problem with a car rental in Orlando. A very helpful gentleman went out of his way to resolve the issues and was amazingly heplful.

I later went back to thank him privately and give a tip. He was reluctant to accept, saying that it was his pleasure to help.

What a refreshing attitude, and one which remains in my memory.

Pat

LuganoPirate
    Participant

At a famous steak restaurant in NY, the waiter added 30% to a $ 300 meal explaining that as foreigners we did not know the “rules” and he was being helpful. Further, if I felt it was not enough I could round it up to $400! I declined his offer, told him I did not appreciate being ripped off and left $310 He said nothing.

Normally I would leave between 15&20% of the pre-tax amount.

Bell hops get $2 but if we go as a family it’s 5. For getting a cab I give a $.

Here in S. Africa I give 10% unless the service is mediocre in which case I reduce it. Today it’s our wedding anniversary and we’re off to Kurlands in Plettenberg Bay. If they spoil us a bit I’ll be more generous on account of the occasion!

famouschicken
    Participant

Apologies for slightly off-topic but the subject of baggage carts was raised above. Where is the logic at Toronto to have carts that need a twoney ($2) in the baggage reclaim hall? Many arriving foreigners do not have loose change. Whereas on departure with pocketsfull of unwanted coins the carts are free? If YYZ needs to raise funds surely better if these were switched?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Happy wedding annivesary LuganoPirate and all good wishes to Mrs LP. How many years????

I hope you have a wonderful day and please do let us know if you were all sufficiently spoilt to cause your genorosity to increase.

RichHI1
    Participant

Lugano I think you are too tolerant. If they tried that on me I would leave nothing and not return. Hope you had a generous time for anniversary.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Happy wedding anniversary, LP! Mine is tomorrow 🙂

I tend to refuse any “forced tipping” unless it is compulsory (house keeping tips in Nassau). I really give according to MY judgment of the service. In the US, it goes from 10% or less in restaurants to 20+%. I round up for taxis and give 3 to 5 dollars to the bellboy. Elsewhere, it really depend on the country.

PatJordan
    Participant

Happy Wedding Anniversary Swissdiver and LuganoPirate. Hope you have many happy years into the future.

Pat

LuganoPirate
    Participant

12 years Martyn! Thanks everyone for all your good wishes and reciprocal ones to you Swiss as well.

For a whole host of reasons we ended up at Scotty’s in Plett. Fantastic place which I can thoroughly recommend if you’re passing through. Yes, I did tip well and even got a kiss from the owners wife!!!

The only disappointment of the day was seeing England and S. Africa both being beaten at Rugby, slightly mitigated though by England’s win against India.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

LP

All the best, my friend. Just celebrated my 20th Wedding Anniversary (3rd August) and I was 50 last year, so I know how Martyn feels. Congrats too, Martyn!

Chaps – NOTHING beats the feeling from Edgers today – after all the sh*t we’ve been through in the last week, it was so good to feel that we are good at something at last.

There was a superb Tweet from someone on the BBC website tonight, who said something along the lines of “Bloody hell, first in the world at something. I don’t think my psyche can handle it.”

He then went on to make some comment about moving to Scotland. However, as someone who’s half Scots, and as a mate of Mr Bannerman (and with respect to TomfromScotland and also VK – who I am damned sure is a Scot) I won’t labour that point.

Cheers,

Simon

NTarrant
    Participant

Congratulations LP, have a good time. Mrs T and I celebrate 29 years in two weeks!

RichHI1
    Participant

I missed something… we started on tipping rates and now we seem to be into anniversaries. Or are we moving into “tips” for successful married life as it obviously an area of expertise for many posters. Congrats one and all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just to add about the tips at kerb Side check in – another problem which has been highlighted is that at the smaller airports and some larger airports, check in is provided by 3rd party companies and therefore feel they are not bound by the airlines rules.

I will also add, that contrary to TSA rules ID’s for my wife and son WERE NOT checked by the check in staff for a reason that was made very clear to me, but I will not post on an open forum.

Glaring glaring holes in the US still.

RichHI1
    Participant

Did you read the earlier post that for some domestic flights from T5 ID’s are not checked at all! Secuirty does seem to be a mixed bag. At least TSA normally ask for ID with Boarding pass if yuo are on a commerical carrier.
    I am waiting for someone to suggest you tip TSA 🙂

NTarrant
    Participant

It is not confined to T5, it is the same at LGW, SOU, EDI, GLA to name a few, if you are travelling BA. Certainly Flybe insist on photo id with pass before boarding.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls