Heathrow Terminal 5 passenger pick-up

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• andrew.gill
    Participant

I’m also confused. If the driver was dropping you off, and didn’t leave his vehicle, he wouldn’t be there long enough to attract attention as he’s look just like any other car dropping off

Did something else happen?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Ekond222 – my mini cab driver had a license sticker displayed on his window, but the airport jobsworth thought he was picking up (£45 fine) and not dropping off.

It just seems ridiculous that dropping off is free, but picking up now cost the price of the short term car park… charge fairly for both or not at all OR better still, provide some system for licensed mini cabs, in the same way that Black cabs enjoy..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@andrew.gill – nope he was just dropping me off… but the 20 or so officials (a mix of traffic police & airport wardens) marching up and down the drop off lane, were attacking most mini cabs to show that they will be enforcing the new rules.

I also did ask one police officer why they were not enforcing the law, “Do Not Smoke in Front of the entrance to the terminal” – as there were many passengers quite blatantly smoking in a non smoking areas…. which was met with a stern, “suggest you go and catch your flight Sir….”

fatbear
    Participant

I got dropped off at T5 today. There were several cars waiting to pick-up passengers, and I noticed the police/wardens were merely telling them to drive away as no waiting was allowed.

I couldn’t see anywhere where it was displayed that the penalty for waiting was 45 pounds…..

K1ngston
    Participant

Last time I flew through Heathrow I was flying Cathay and they landed in Term 3 and mini cab driver waits on the outskirts of Heathrow for my call, and when I am coming through the terminal after collecting my luggage he will come through and pick me up…

He literally stopped and I put my case in the boot, and this airport nazi popped his head to say aggressively to move on, of course being the quite shy and retiring type I suggested he foxtrot oscar and actually him moaning at us was delaying us leaving!!

The red face and indignant look on his face made my moment even if the taxi driver worried that he may face retrospective punishment for my words of endearment!!

I hate Heathrow Airport with a passion, its an excuse of a place and if I can I will avoid it like the plague! Well at least until Easter when I arrive into Term 4 (less rushed than the other terminals)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also avoid Heathrow like the plague, but the fact remains over 70,000,000 people use it a year with not much alternative. If everyone said never again, LCY, LGW etc simply couldn’t cope.

LHR knows this so can really do what it wants and get away with it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The frustration is that drop off / pick up worked perfectly well in T5 – then someone decides to shut 40% of the drop off zone off, and says sorry, not enough room for pick up, into the car park and passenger costs go up.

I would have absolutely no issue paying Heathrow Airport to use drop off / pick up lanes… if they deemed it necessary…. and it was a fair cost – Not a typical Heathrow rip off cost…

I am sure the use of the Police could be far better used than hassling travellers trying to use the airport.

Staff should try smiling and being helpful – will create a far more pleasant travel experience..

Perhaps we could create a list of (UN) FRIENDLIEST airports….

fatbear
    Participant

Sorry Martyn I’m not sure I agree with some of your comments. Yes, the drop off/pick-up worked well. Why not just leave it as it was ??

If they want segregate the drop-offs from the collects then they should allow 15 minutes free rather than whatever it is they are charging ?

To me it is just moving to another revenue raising scheme simply because they can

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Brusselsregular – it would be perfect to leave a winning formula alone, but the idiots will never do that if there is a chance for revenue and passenger inconvenience.

I just don’t get the changes when they close 40% of the drop off / pick up zone..

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 09/03/2015 05:45 GMT
    I also avoid Heathrow like the plague, but the fact remains over 70,000,000 people use it a year with not much alternative
    LHR knows this so can really do what it wants and get away with it.

+1

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My car service is advising all pick ups will now involve drivers going into the car park following the arrival of parking tickets. These tickets were sent following the car number plates being copied. There were no physical tickets.

For whatever reason the airport have also closed of more of the drop off lane with bollards which is just plain stupid!

The issue I have is not just the cost, but the connection in the car park, with no dedicated waiting area. It is now going to take more time to get through the airport.

A far more sensible idea would have been to make the drop off and now former pick up zone, a pay zone, say £1 for 7 minutes, then increasing steeply for longer periods. The need for ticketing and cash payments could be avoided by installing an auto pay with the cost being covered by selling the transponder boxes.

I have absolutely no issue is being charged, I have a problem with a system that works perfectly, being modified with zero thought for the traveller.

fatbear
    Participant

Did they say how much the tickets were for, and what evidence was provided ?

andrew.gill
    Participant

The driver from my car service always parks in the car park, and meets me in the Arrivals Hall.

The problem seems to be drivers picking up their clients in the drop-off area.

Is it such a big deal to use the pick up and drop off as designed?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Today for the first time I saw some sneaky, traffic enforcement officers (working in pairs), in high viz jackets, but no uniform, handing out tickets to car drivers parked in the T5 drop off zone, waiting for a pick up.

Be warned…

JordanD
    Participant

Are these police traffic enforcement officers or private security?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls