Heathrow Route Changes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

4 engines made it less likely that planes would drop out of the sky. I remember when twin jets were very range limited and then as reliability increased we got ETOPS and the rest is history. Only once had an egine failure on take off and That was 742 TWA out of LAX. Take
    Off continued safely and we dumped and returned. Very glad for the extra two engines that day.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

IIRC 4 engines 4 loung haul was a campaign demonstrating that VS was more reliable operating the A346 at a time when BA introduced the 772 and it was a point of principle to operate with 4 engines across the Atlantic.

Surely when you have such strong principles that you have to paint the slogan on aircraft you don’t go back on it just because there are more economic options with 2 engines? What does that say about the values of the company??

I must say I still prefer four engines especially when when crossing long expanses of sea, I’ve even started choosing EK on the A380 between SYD and AKL as I feel that three solid hours over water on an A320/737 is two too many!

RichHI1
    Participant

Krisflyer try 6 hours on an elderly 757 California to Hawaii. Very unpleasant.

LeTigre
    Participant

Don’t Virgin/Hawaiian offer better facilities on that route? Hawaiian have a partnership with AA anyway…

I completely agree with you LPPSKrisflyer, the ad campaign was not prudent however operating 4 engines has become a burden I’m sure, and operating the only remaining economical aircraft with 4 engines, the A380 or B747-8, would cause delays and huge debt. I agree with your choice on EK A388 as well, though I’ve heard Air NZ 772s are nice.

Don’t worry about two engines though, I’m sure they can fly on one!

RichHI1
    Participant

LeTigre HA offer A332 to LAX and 767 to other destinations. Still twin jet. Luckily in summer peak AA switch to 763 with lie flat seats, by the far the best on service to Hawaii from mainland but I remember UA and TW 747’s with real first class. Memories….

LeTigre
    Participant

I see what you’re saying Rich, but as the 757 is the worst plane in the world, I would take Hawaiian, but here’s an interesting rumour:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/5/14/14411/5898/travel/Is+Virgin+America+Secretly+Psyching+Up+to+Launch+Hawaii+Flights%3F

RichHI1
    Participant

Not sure B757 are Pretty rough but prefer to A32x .
    Either way 4 engines over water is nicer for pax but worse for accountants. I am waiting for the bean counters to ask for a twin A380… You think 777 engines are. Big, you ain’t seen nothing yet…

RichHI1
    Participant

Hawaii flights make No money as most seats are ffb redemptions or cheap As poss coach boomings. We few business flyers are in minority.
    Economics only work on life expired equipment that owes you nothing, with soem wingtips to cut gas mileage.
    I approached BA and VS about flughts from LhR and both replies were a polite are you crazy? Too specialized. We fly the cheapies to Mediterranean and rich to Caribbean or mainland USA , Hawaii not mainstream enough for us. Which is fair, i love the lack of brits in hawaii, it makes the place different.

LeTigre
    Participant

Found a rather interesting VS interview from earlier today:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-atlantic-s-australia-plans-new-business-seat-boeing-787s

Summary:
    -The new dream suit will not be retrofitted to the other parts of the fleet
    -An updated version of the same seat will arrive in 2014 on the 787 fleet
    -The seat will be significantly wider due to larger cabin size
    -The dreamliners will replace all A340s
    -Far East routes will get 787s first
    -There will be no route expansion to Australia, any extra services will come from Virgin Australia
    -Air NZ might buy the new dream suit from VS
    -First A380s in 2017, but VS are interested in the A350

LeTigre
    Participant

Just noticed more confirmed A333 routes:

http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/22/vs-s13update1/

Update at 1020GMT 22MAY12

As per 22MAY12 GDS timetable and inventory display, as well as OAG Schedules iNet, Virgin Atlantic is to introduce Airbus A330-300 aircraft on following routes starting 31MAR13.

London Heathrow – Accra 5 weekly
    VS657 LHR2245 – 0500+1ACC 333 x36
    VS658 ACC1010 – 1800LHR 333 x47

London Heathrow – Washington Dulles Daily
    VS021 LHR1115 – 1430IAD 333 D
    VS022 IAD1840 – 0705+1LHR 333 D

Airbus A330-300 aircraft in Summer 2013 season also operates:
    London Heathrow – Delhi
    London Heathrow – Mumbai
    London Heathrow – New York JFK

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think Thomson has openly discussed a direct Hawaii route once it gets the 787s:

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/press-centre/2007/thomson-plans-to-put-Borneo-and-Hawaii-on-the-holiday-map.html

LeTigre
    Participant

Borneo is definitely a good idea, been there, loved it, want to go a hundred more times! I think that with Borneo, no matter how many times you go, you will still feel there is some beautiful place yet to be discovered.

I went there with family and we did some DIY trekking in the forest near our hotel (marked trails so perfectly safe). After being told the small route would only take 30 mins max we spent the next 4 hours running along the path, hanging off branches trying to cross a river, and most of all, screaming loudly whenever we came across a Golden Orb Weaver web (always at head height, and the spider looks right at you). Did see some beautiful Rhinoceros Hornbills though, and macaques everywhere. Even saltwater crocodiles (just the red eyes!).

LeTigre
    Participant

Although not from my conventional sources, here’s an article about American Airlines 77W service:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/american-hints-at-777-300er-delivery-schedule-with-flights-372255/

Key paragraphs:

The 777-300ER will operate AA962 and 963 three days a week between Dallas-Fort Worth and Sao Paulo beginning on 13 December through 31 December, then daily except Monday southbound and Tuesday northbound from 1 January to 30 January.

American would receive its first of the type from Boeing in early December and its second in the middle of the month, based on this flight schedule. This is in line with the fourth quarter delivery date and the two deliveries this year that the airline has repeatedly mentioned.

The Fort Worth-based carrier will reduce the frequency of the 777-300ER on AA962 and 963 to three days a week and shift daily service on AA50 and 79 between Dallas-Fort Worth and London to the type from 31 January 2013 to 13 February 2013. It will fly AA50 and 51 daily between Dallas-Fort Worth and London and AA100 and 101 daily between New York’s John F Kennedy airport and London solely with the aircraft from 14 February onwards.

The airline’s final two schedule changes for the 777-300ER would be operating AA78 and 79 daily between Dallas-Fort Worth and London-Heathrow from 2 March through 31 March before pulling it from the route and using it for AA950 and 951 daily between JFK and Sao Paulo from 2 April onwards.

———

Seems like there is much to look forward to for AA passengers in 2013, particularly as from February/March there will be up to FOUR daily flights operated by the 777-300ERs which will have the latest seats and IFE in all classes (though it appears to be an insufferable 10 abreast layout in economy). Good news in biz class though. It appears that the schedule updates released thus far for until March indicate that at best, 2 daily flights from Dallas and 2 from JFK will operate with the new aircraft, though they will be switching this and Sao Paolo almost every month.

LeTigre
    Participant

Don’t you have anything to add, Rich?

RichHI1
    Participant

Sounds abiut right. Dfw tends to get priority due to the hq there.
    In darkest Africa at present so out of loop. In UK 1 day next week and then back to US. Let you know if I hear anything. Have the seat maps changed yet for these flights? No news from AA on mods to existing 772. Think 10 abreast would do them no favours yet you get more legroom in front of coach. Don’t normally do coach but as a flyer leg room mTters most to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls