Heathrow: High Alert?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

There seems to be something up in security land.

A definite increase in security in the past few days, with many more bags being manually screened with concomitant delays.

Are others experiencing this, too?

Stowage222
    Participant

Appears these ‘enhancements’ are as a result of a recent (and regular) security audit.

craigwatson
    Participant

May have something to do with increased security due to tensions regarding a certain unpopular movie maybe?

Senator
    Participant

Transit through T5 dreadful last night

VintageKrug
    Participant

Honestly, you should have a look at the movie.

Hardly anything to get in such a tizzie about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM

Ellwood
    Participant

Just had this through:
    Passenger Information – changes to security

We have made some changes to our security search procedures involving additional bag searches as passengers pass through security.

You may be asked to have your bag searched by one of our officers in the security screening area.The bag search will be thorough and will add time to your security screening. Our aim is to keep this to the minimum and we have extra staff and equipment in place to make these searches as smooth as possible.

To help keep your wait to a minimum we advise you to arrive in plenty of time and check in any hand baggage not essential for your journey.

We’re sorry for any delays you may experience. Thank you for your help and patience.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I noted increased security last week. No explanations but a lot of bags were being pulled. No noticeable increase in staff but less standing around chatting. Presumably they are doing what they always should have been.

No doubt in the coming days queues will build and delays will happen. Better time your journeys to coincide with VK’s transits of LHR as he never experiences delays.

Bruce98
    Participant

Allegedly, LHR has been audited and asked to inspect more hand luggage by DFT. Allegedly.

Bruce98
    Participant

`Honestly, you should have a look at the movie.

Hardly anything to get in such a tizzie about:`

Muslims class any defamatory words or aspersions cast on the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) as being a violent attack.

This doesn´t mean I agree with their worldview, but I do understand it.

Judging other cultures by one´s own is ignorant.

craigwatson
    Participant

“Judging other cultures by one´s own is ignorant.”

Being judged by other cultures according to their cultural viewpoint that you dont share is also ignorant.

People are just too sensitive nowadays, but lets face it, this unrest has nothing to do with the film, that is just an excuse to do what they wanted to do in the first place IMHO.

BigDog.
    Participant

Bruce I agree, most people I know who are widely travelled, develop a broad understanding of a wide range of cultures. They become aware of the sensitivities, idiosyncrasies and customs of others, their land, religion, manner and proclivities etc

Those that haven’t travelled in reality IMO are less likely to respect or understand what is offensive to others. They are more likely to pass naive comments such as “Hardly anything to get in such a tizzie about”

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

The film in question was highly disrespectful. The consequence of it being shown while undesirable is understandable. I don’t know what sort of person thinks it’s acceptable to broadcase things that are so disrespectful to a significant number of people but those people have some learning to do.

Britsinvade
    Participant

Came through T5 last night and it took 30mins to get through fast track! Security staff were saying that DFT had changed rules on Friday and that EVERY 5th bag (hand luggage) had to be manually searched. This was causing a backlog as there weren’t enough staff to deal with the manual screening, so held up the queue for the X-Ray scanners.

There were a few flights which were held back and delayed due to missing pax who had got stuck in security. I hope they get more staff on asap to deal with the extra workload.

HonestCrew
    Participant

Crew search at LHR T5 has also been subjected to the same tightening of regulations by DoT.
    Our search is done by G4S (of Olympics failure fame). No explanation given to whether this is due to recent events or a low scoring audit by the security teams.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls