“Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester airports not ready to lift liquids limit”

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

This headline is somewhat misleading, as it is a Dept for Transport decision when to lift the 100ml liquid limit.

The headline should read ‘Some airports miss new scanner deadline, 100ml liquid limits to remain until 2025’.

FormerBA
    Participant

It’s a mess, today if you have access to First wing security in T5 then you can take more liquids. But if it shut then you can’t! If you are in transit at an airport that does not yet have these scanners you can clear at LHR but not the next point. It’s insane, it’s chaos and so terribly British. Exceptionalism backed by nothing!

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

“it’s chaos and so terribly British”

Absolutely FormerBA, couldn’t have put it better!

Also very British that the blame for the delay is put on other parties!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The confusion is not just in the UK. HKG with it’s technically advanced airport, still requires computers out, but liquids can remain in. It does make packing and choosing where to put items in carry ons very challenging.

SimonS1
    Participant

It’s all a dogs dinner, taking into account the return journey.

If I leave to Vienna or Lux I may or may not be able to take a half used 150ml tube of toothpaste depending on departure airport, if I do manage then quite likely I will not be able to bring it back the next day.

Rferguson2
    Participant

It is just hysterical. I had a tight connection (two separate tickets) was travelling with HBO and had to leg it from T3 to T5 (Qantas to BA). Being a BA GCH I could have taken the First Wing option but disembarking the Heathrow Express and cutting it very fine I headed to the Fast Track security just opposite the HEX lifts, there was virtually zero queue so I opted to go through there instead of running the length of the terminal.

BIG mistake.

Old style scanners, old style liquid requirements. There were initially two lanes open. But for whatever reason, Heathrow Security seems to have decided to go into ‘liquid detection overdrive’ just as the requirement is being phased out. SO many bags were being rejected and waiting for the secondary inspection that one of the two lanes had to close due to an incredible back log. My bag was ‘rejected’ and I had to wait around 20 minutes to have my secondary inspection with the offending item being the tiny salad dressing pot in my Pret salad! It is exactly the same salad I have always taken through security at LHR with zero issue. It was frustrating but the lady that was conducting the secondary bag search was so polite, friendly and doing her best I just smiled through it.

TominScotland
    Participant

Rferguson2, the vagaries of salad dressings…… Just yesterday, I found one of the very small olive oil bottles that some airlines give out with salads in my regular travel backpack. It has been there at least a year during which time I have been through security in numerous airports and it was never picked up.

FDOS
    Participant

Are you confessing to carrying a biological agent? 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

Absolutely, FDOS

miningguy
    Participant

We were having a chuckle about this in the office. A lot of us fly out of Manchester and hands down it consistenly has the slowest security we deal with (for number of PAX!). The arbritary additional rules that you are only informed about after failing screening (no charging cables! you didn’t take you USB key out!) continues to perplex us. Who is in charge? why is this regional airport so different to just about any other similar sized airport we know?

We therefore arent toally surprised that Manchester isn’t ready and secondly wonder how this will impact their security queues – will they find a way to still make us suffer. We suspect yes.

NB: I went through LHR T3 a few weeks back. Wow! 11 minutes from the cab to the BA lounge. Keeping everything in your bag really has sped things up.

TonyR
    Participant

To be honest the only practical thing to do is still work to the old rules. It’s not just the UK. Lots of other airports haven’t even started on this so your journey is going to be restricted by the least advanced airport. No point taking a litre of shampoo through LHR only to have to throw it away for the next flight in your itinerary. I suspect the new scanners will be only a theoretical improvement to actual journeys for some years to come

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls