Heathrow Baggage Reclaim time

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

I may be completely wrong as I am only guessing how the system operates but I imagine that for priority baggage to work effectively, it has to happen at both ends. The priority bags need to be processed and loaded separately at the departure airport and then prioritised at the arrival airport. In all my years of flying with various European airlines, I can count the occasions when priority bags were first on the carousel at Heathrow, or indeed any other airport in Europe, on the fingers of one hand.

Nowadays I mainly use the Accra-Heathrow route (around 10 times since 2019) and, if anything, I get the feeling that priority bags are usually some of the last to come off… although that may be just me getting impatient. But at Accra, the wait is typically 45-60 minutes so the prioritisation of bags would actually be a major benefit, if it could be done. For me, more valuable than a lounge at Heathrow before the flight.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Didn’t the BA 747’s have a small forward baggage compartment that the airline chose to use for crew bags and not premium passenger bags. Mind you other airlines manage to work with premium bags with most aircraft types… hey ho, it is what it is…..currently…

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Martyn – I was told this is where F pax bags were stowed. Whether or not entirely accurate, who knows!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1228395]I may be completely wrong as I am only guessing how the system operates but I imagine that for priority baggage to work effectively, it has to happen at both ends. The priority bags need to be processed and loaded separately at the departure airport and then prioritised at the arrival airport. In all my years of flying with various European airlines, I can count the occasions when priority bags were first on the carousel at Heathrow, or indeed any other airport in Europe, on the fingers of one hand.[/quote]

You are right, but it costs money and BA don’t pay.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls