Heathrow Baggage Reclaim time

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• ChrisJR
    Participant

I took my first trip since COVID last month and returned through LHR T5 last Saturday – what a joke. The time from our plane pulling up to the gate to the first bag coming on the luggage belt was 2 hours. My bag, tagged with business class (or whatever you get if you are gold card) took a further 30 minutes so total waiting time of 2 hours 30 minutes. Is this fairly standard these days? Quite difficult if you have a driver picking you up – waiting time and parking charges. What with masks on the planes (I agree with this entirely, it just isnt much fun), new drop off charges at LHR, cancellations etc – really puts me off flying again.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It is, and you have to wonder at the tens of thousands of people who for various reasons didn’t get their bags at all…

nevereconomy
    Participant

Don’t feel too bad – a few years ago I returned to the US from a month long business trip RTW final leg BA after visiting my parents in the UK and it was 5 months until I got my bag!
    They paid the full compensation before that and it arrived at my house in the US at midnight of the day before before I was leaving on another similar trip. Heaven knows where it had been but somewhere wet, though most of the contents were salveagable, even my laptop – I know you should never do that but I did. Thank heavens we had good IT and they recreated it on another when I got back bagless.

HOLIDAY2016
    Participant

Returned Monday 18 July BA Terminal 5 2100 Our bags were in the baggage hall before us and no queues at immigration

1 user thanked author for this post.

CAI
    Participant

Travelled Club World from Atlanta (thankfully in Club Suite in a brand new 787-10) arriving on Tuesday morning. From time of landing to arrival of bags my partner got hers in 50 minutes, but I had to wait another 15 minutes even though we had checked in at the same time. Priority bags were NOT the first to arrive, in fact I noticed a couple who I know were in First still waiting after my bag had arrived – not acceptable and very poor organisation by whoever is responsible for loading bags and/or unloading bags.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228113]

BA doesn’t do priority baggage. It isn’t a published benefit of Club World or the BAEC.

Some stations do add tags but really these are symbolic and for the ego of the traveller rather than for any practical purpose.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1228283]BA doesn’t do priority baggage. It isn’t a published benefit of Club World or the BAEC.

Some stations do add tags but really these are symbolic and for the ego of the traveller rather than for any practical purpose.[/quote]

How true! I am regularly at airports where check-in staff are scrabbling around to find some ‘priority’ tags. I always tell them its really not worth it if the destination is London. The only purpose they serve is to make it marginally easier to identify your bags at a distance.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Out of interest does BA “prioritise” First Class baggage?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228288]

Nope.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228297]

What an indictment of BA !!

stevescoots
    Participant

nope, however not sure if thats a BA issue or LHR and most of the time other airlines bags are not prioritised either

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228312]

It´s been 2+ years since I flew with CX but my bags were always labelled “Priority” and nerly always delivered in the first 20 bags or so. It might well have changed since Covid

CAI
    Participant

Interesting discussion and thanks to all for the various contributions.SimonS1 you are correct that ‘Priority Baggage Handling’ is NOT listed as a benefit for EC Silver or even Gold members. But I am sure that it used to be, and that this ‘benefit’ has been withdrawn? Anyone remember?
    I find it almost impossible to believe that people flying in First, and maybe CW, cannot expect their bags to be delivered before those travelling in WT or WTP. It doesn’t particularly bother me, as there are other far more useful benefits of being EC Silver, but it does seem strange.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Flying ex London as a GCH, but if flying Y, I was advised bags were not tagged priority. (This was pre Covid).

Last long haul in J, LHR-IAD, my bag was one of the first off (with a priority tag).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls